Leave a Legacy On It's Way Out?

Hey, I like this

I know Leave A Legacy has been roundly criticized, but the photos of our family are there -- front row, left, looking right at Spaceship Earth. It's always cheered me, for the far too many months we're not at WDW, that at least I know I'm looking at Epcot all the time. I'm there even when I'm not there, you see? It will be a sad day for me when these are removed for a Jeff Bridges Lookalike Tron Meet N Greet, or something equally silly.

Expo_Seeker40

Anyone else hope they also get rid of those ugly trees in the planters at the base of SSE? Amazing how the 2007 new palm trees on the sides of SSE look great with each tree gradually getting taller (just like they did in 1982) while the 1999 big overgrown trees make SSE look small.

jt04

Anyone else hope they also get rid of those ugly trees in the planters at the base of SSE? Amazing how the 2007 new palm trees on the sides of SSE look great with each tree gradually getting taller (just like they did in 1982) while the 1999 big overgrown trees make SSE look small.

Exactly. It would be great if they brought back the original design as far as is possible. If they can't use the palm trees for some reason perhaps they could design some futuristic towers that create the effect the palm trees did. Forced perspective magic. Add lighting features and make the fountain inspiring and futuristic (instead of looking like a Home Depot weekend project with a color scheme similar to a mud puddle :rolleyes:) and the 'first impression' that the original plaza provided will be back.

JimboJones123

Just chiming in here. The paint job on the legs of SE always looked like a middle school art room wall mural. I love that they are finally removing it and going back to classic.

Also, the argument that no one looks at them is not correct. Personally I never really liked the LaL stones. However, even though I don't own one, each time we're there I look at some of the tiles.

I'm an Epcot Center purist. I was one of the WDW Magic members who joined the charge to get rid of the Wand of Spaceship Earth. I miss Horizons, World of Motion, and the original Journey into your Imagination. So with that said, anytime they do something to bring things back to their original splendor, I love!

P.S. Exactly one month from today I'll be flying to Walt Disney World!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Epcot bad paint job discussion would be complete without talking about the Figment footprint spongepainting at the exit of Imagination. Outstanding suckery!

degunter

25 Years

I purchased 6 tiles between October and December 1999 and was specifically told that the display would be up for at least 25 years. I remember telling everyone I bought one for (my family) that they could come back before 2024 to see them. I do not know about all the legal mumbo jumbo as I do not recall getting a copy of the contract I signed, but 25 years is what I was told and that was 25 years from 1999, NOT 25 years from when the stopped selling them. I think they original plan was a set time frame and the longer you waited the shorter time your tile would be on display.

I am not familiar with the details of LaL. Were purchasing guests "guaranteed" any sort of duration as to how long their likeness would remain installed in that location?

How about for the bricks in front of MK?

Well they might be going away but nobody said they couldn't be put somewhere else...:lookaroun

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It only ever stated that they would be on display in the park.

However I for one get great pleasure from knowing the presence of my handsome mug and others like it on a wee tile is causing emotional pain to fan boys.

raven

Sorry but have to agree with the other person. The only people looking are the one's who bought them and can't ever find them.

Have you interviewed each and every person looking at the tiles and confirm this statement? :rolleyes:

Lee, Martin or Raven: is this painting of the legs any part of the beautification project I think it was called Gemini a while back? Is it going to go forward?

It's just paint.

That is what makes me sad about the park. The lack of Flamingos.

The flamingos were moved to DAK when they started putting the floating planters in the water for the F&G festival. The fertilizer would've made them sick.

However I for one get great pleasure from knowing the presence of my handsome mug and others like it on a wee tile is causing emotional pain to fan boys.

Agreed. Having the monorail go over my tile several times a day is an amazing thing. :)

TinkerBell9988

I will disagree 100%.

A large part of the charm of Epcot is the fact that it was born in the culture of the 80s. In fact, if born in the 90s, it would look like a run down piece of junk. If born in the 70s, it would have looked like junk when it opened.

It should continue to embrace the unique position it was born into.

That is what makes me sad about the park. The lack of Flamingos. The dumped down Odessy. The 2/3 empty Imagination pavilion.

Could not agree more. I bolded the phrases that made me want to jump out of my chair and high-five you.

MCC1

We purchased one many years ago, and if I remember correctly, according to the contract we signed, we were guaranteed 20 years of showing from the date of installation, but the tiles could be relocated elsewhere. So they must be shown for 20 years someplace on WDW property, and could be shown longer if WDW so desires, but not shorter than the 20 years. I guess if they decide to take them down before the 20 years and not show them someplace esle, then we could get some sort of prorated refund on the amount we paid.

CoasterKing :king:

I recall the same 20 year number as we have one too, and also recall they were to be relocated throughout the parks or something along those lines...it is kind of cool for those of us that had an 7 year old that is now 18 to find our tile when we visit...the rest of you are just plain jealous :cool:

devoy1701

I recall the same 20 year number as we have one too, and also recall they were to be relocated throughout the parks or something along those lines...it is kind of cool for those of us that had an 7 year old that is now 18 to find our tile when we visit...the rest of you are just plain jealous :cool:

I for one am! As ugly as they are... I also wish i could have a brick infront of Magic Kingdom!

MCC1

...and not sure what all the whining is about...don't like it? just walk by - it's not like they're putting our mugs in your faces as if they were going to project us all over the Castle or something...oh...wait a minute...:confused:

lazyboy97o

asn't the project headed by John Hench, who was Epcot's original art director in the first place? If so, the area was designed by a Disney Legend.
Even Walt Disney made mistakes. Disney fans have this tendency to deify certain individuals in the company's history. Who worked on a specific project should not be a part of discussing if the design does or does not work.

DTM93

...and not sure what all the whining is about...don't like it? just walk by - it's not like they're putting our mugs in your faces as if they were going to project us all over the Castle or something...oh...wait a minute...:confused:

This made me laugh quite badly. :lol:

But on another note, I don't get the huge fuss being made over it. It's nice for people to have their picture in Epcot and people like it. It's not like they make a huge impact and practically ruin your holiday. :rolleyes:
We only noticed them on our last day and they were nice because they reminded you that (as much as this sounds like I'm trying to promote the latest theme) that memories are made there everyday.
I remember walking towards Disneyland Park in DLR and seeing the tiles on the floor and wishing that I had one too.
I wouldn't say that it's a huge problem either, what needs working on is the land behind the entrance and SSE with new attractions/small updates. Basically 'Future' World.

jt04

This made me laugh quite badly. :lol:

But on another note, I don't get the huge fuss being made over it. It's nice for people to have their picture in Epcot and people like it. It's not like they make a huge impact and practically ruin your holiday. :rolleyes:
We only noticed them on our last day and they were nice because they reminded you that (as much as this sounds like I'm trying to promote the latest theme) that memories are made there everyday.
I remember walking towards Disneyland Park in DLR and seeing the tiles on the floor and wishing that I had one too.
I wouldn't say that it's a huge problem either, what needs working on is the land behind the entrance and SSE with new attractions/small updates. Basically 'Future' World.

Just a guess but is it possible you do not remember the original entry plaza?

Disco Yeti

Well they might be going away but nobody said they couldn't be put somewhere else...:lookaroun

mansion_newgraves2.jpg

:drevil:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom