Leap Day Entertainment

kennygman

So they do a promotion that will attract many of the biggest Disney bloggers and then don't throw a party? Not to sure how that will go over on the old interweb. How hard is it to do some dance parties, some characters and such???

asianway

I'm sure the bloggers will be tripping over each other to pat TDO on the back no matter how big a bust it is. I mean the whole point of this was to drive traffic to the resort, right?

kennygman

This could be a really fun thing or they could do another cupcake (limited edition) and speech day. Looks like they will cheap out and do the latter.

drew81

Original Poster
I've heard the VIP characters might be appearing in Town Square during the night portion.

Brian Noble

I mean the whole point of this was to drive traffic to the resort, right?
No. If that was the point, it would have been something that applied to more than just one day, with a discount that applied for more than a week or two.

The whole point of this was to generate cheap media coverage to get the Disney Parks brand in front of people who are thinking about their spring break travel, and maybe even what they might do over summer.

TP2000

I'm holding out hope that Disneyland makes some last minute additions to its schedule, as it will (presumably) be busier there that day than Walt Disney World, anyway.

Miceage has a column this morning with Al Lutz answering a question about Fantasmic! for the Leap Year Day party. Here's what Mr. Lutz says will happen...

They’ve really been trying to come up with a menu of offerings that will keep people entertained through the wee hours, but only in just the past few weeks have the plans begun falling firmly into place.

What TDA has recently decided is that a special Leap Year Day Fantasmic! will be performed at 1:00AM, and this will be the first showing after this winter’s eight week rehab. This current Fantasmic! rehab is plussing up the lasers and adding more digital projections to the stage, plus tackling plenty of stagecraft maintenance and technical upgrading for the entire show, in addition to a big cosmetic rehab for the Sailing Ship Columbia that is used as Captain Hook’s pirate ship. The rehab timeline for both the show and the Columbia had to be scooted up just a few days to allow enough testing and rehearsal time in late February, but Fantasmic! will now be a key element of the overnight Leap Year party at Disneyland.

More info on the plans for Disneyland's version of the party can be found over at that other website, but I think you get the idea.

A Fantasmic! at 1:00AM... I wonder how crowded the park will be at that hour? :lol:

drew81

Original Poster
So they do a promotion that will attract many of the biggest Disney bloggers and then don't throw a party? Not to sure how that will go over on the old interweb. How hard is it to do some dance parties, some characters and such???

I bet they have the dance parties in Tomorrowland and Frontierland.

Miceage has a column this morning with Al Lutz answering a question about Fantasmic! for the Leap Year Day party. Here's what Mr. Lutz says will happen...

More info on the plans for Disneyland's version of the party can be found over at that other website, but I think you get the idea.

A Fantasmic! at 1:00AM... I wonder how crowded the park will be at that hour? :lol:

That show time will be like an "overnight" rehearsal. I love Disneyland's Fantasmic no matter what time it plays.

kennygman

I've heard the VIP characters might be appearing in Town Square during the night portion.

Instead of bringing out the "VIP" characters that one could meet all day, every day, why not bring out some interesting characters that one can't meet on a regular basis. Is it all that difficult to pull a different costume? :veryconfu

drew81

Original Poster
Instead of bringing out the "VIP" characters that one could meet all day, every day, why not bring out some interesting characters that one can't meet on a regular basis. Is it all that difficult to pull a different costume? :veryconfu

ITA. DCE has a bunch of characters they can use for specials. They choose not to and continue with the same old same old.

Maybe they'll surprise us and have different ones out for Leap Day.
:shrug:

jjnshane

Okay, we are two weeks away from this event -- have we heard anything about anything? :shrug: At this point I might just write it off as a lost cause and just stay home.

drew81

Original Poster
Okay, we are two weeks away from this event -- have we heard anything about anything? :shrug: At this point I might just write it off as a lost cause and just stay home.

I don't believe there is anything to announce. I would stay home.

Sounds like it will be a version of EMH through the evening.

ID3052

I'll be a bit disappointed if the don't do something special for this. We booked our trip a couple weeks ago.

We fully plan on making it he whole 24 hours but, we're still young and look at it like a challenge!

I will be upset with myself if I don't ride Haunted Mansion at least 20 times that day though...

Steve

bhg469

So yesterday out of the blue my boss called and told me I may be needed in FL for spring training for several teams. One of my stops is Lakeland on Feb 29th and the 1st. My whole job can be complete by the 29th by late morning. Making a side trip is so tempting just because I know I wont be back for a few years at least. I really think this is some sort of fate in the works. The trip is supposed to be approved today so my fingers are crossed. I really hope this works out.

bhg469

..... did I miss something since when is the extra day in a leap year special or something to be celebrated?

Since Disney's huge blockbuster announcement or lack there of, on new years eve. I don't think its going to be at all and amazing time but like i said it will be my last visit for quite some time and if I can take advantage of it I will. I mostly just want to spend the day at epcot but mk is better than sitting in my hotel room.

Bolna

I think the big story in the Disney universe on that day is going to be the Fantasy christening and preview which are happening at the same time...

Sounds like smart planning... :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom