Leap Day Entertainment

puntagordabob

You can almost bet that the Enchanted Tiki Room will NOT be staying open 24 hours that day. They will probably open around 9am and close by 11pm. Otherwise, it will play to empty shows at 3, 4, and 5 in the morning.
QUOTE]

Seeing that the Enchanted Tiki Room is my favorite all time attraction...Would make it worth every moment if theyd let me curl up and sleep in The Enchanted Tiki Room..... THAT would be so awesome listening to Jose and the gang as I sleep...

Just for the record Id rather do THIS than sleep at the HM or any other MK attraction... I just plain adore the music in the Tiki Room (even in its shortened form)!

etwtec

If it were to be a one time showing of Spectro, I think it would be safe to say the MK will turn into NYE as far as crowd levels hahaha. You want to see how fast last minute vacations are made if that gets announced? haha

Mayybe the short lived Enchanted Adventures Parade from the P&P Party?

IF this were happening at Epcot I would soo say Tapestry Of Nations haha.

mickeysaver

I just hope that the folks planning this see that while they may not have a packed crowd overnight, that people that are sleep deprived eat more, so they do need to keep the restaurants and some food kiosks open overnight. While I don't expect to be dining with Pooh at 2 am, I can totally see wanting a warm cup of coffee, a box of warm popcorn, a warm pretzel, a cup of hot chocolate, a big warm turkey leg, or even a good old hot dog. In case the TDO planners need it spelled out for them, we are going to want to have food and beverages to warm us up in those cool/cold night hours and because we are up all night and not sleeping, our bodies are going to be craving energy, so please plan to feed us all night long!

ETA: I just realized that the line in red reminds me of Little Shop of Horrors when AudreyII sang:
Feed me, Seymour / Feed me all night long - That's right, boy! - You can do it! Feed me, Seymour / Feed me all night long / Ha ha ha ha ha! / Cause if you feed me, Seymour / I can grow up big and strong.

drew81

Original Poster
Update-

From what I hear the Leap Day event will probably be like a glorified EMH. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of rare/special characters or different entertainment(shows or parades).

Sounds like it could be a bust. Again, this is all rumored.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Update-

From what I hear the Leap Day event will probably be like a glorified EMH. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of rare/special characters or different entertainment(shows or parades).

It is looking that way. No info about anything happening, and it is only 3 weeks away. I had been told there will more than likely be a selection of attractions open, rather than the entire park.

WDWFigment

^That's what I expected. If Disney is using this as something to garner media coverage, instead of something cool to give to hardcore guests (which has always seemed to be the case given the nature of the promo and announcements) there really is no incentive to offer unique entertainment. Is CNN really going to comment on the Three Little Pigs M&G characters being out? Certainly not. The news will have a short blurb indicating that Disney was open for 24 hours on Leap Day as part of its "Leap Day Fun Events" coverage, along with some stock footage of Mickey on top of Spaceship Earth and the Disney-MGM Studios.

The motivation behind doing this event was residual marketing and media exposure. Sure, it would've been nice to throw a bone or two to fans coming down specifically for that day, but I'm not surprised that it's not happening. Should still be a fun 24 hours!

At Disneyland, Fantasmic! and "Remember... Dreams Come True" aren't even presently on the entertainment schedule for that day!

sweetpee_1993

At Disneyland, Fantasmic! and "Remember... Dreams Come True" aren't even presently on the entertainment schedule for that day!

I was wondering if DL had better offerings. They seem to be puting forth effort in observing all sorts of stuff in creative little ways of late. Definitely feeling extra-good about opting to put the Leap Day trip funds towards the next cruise. The same-old/same-old at a later/earlier hour doesn't add any real appeal. Tom, I'd love to see the photo damage you'd do on a cruise! :animwink:

WDWFigment

I was wondering if DL had better offerings. They seem to be puting forth effort in observing all sorts of stuff in creative little ways of late. Definitely feeling extra-good about opting to put the Leap Day trip funds towards the next cruise. The same-old/same-old at a later/earlier hour doesn't add any real appeal. Tom, I'd love to see the photo damage you'd do on a cruise! :animwink:

I'm holding out hope that Disneyland makes some last minute additions to its schedule, as it will (presumably) be busier there that day than Walt Disney World, anyway. I won't be too upset either way, though. We wanted to do a spring Disneyland trip regardless, and my main aim for the 24 hour day is photography. So I'm just hoping for a pretty sunrise that morning. To the best of my knowledge, Disney can't control that! We can always see RDCT and Fantasmic later in the trip.

Sarah really wants to go on a cruise soon. I suspect we'll be doing that next year.

lunchbox1175

I would imagine that Jungle Cruise and Swiss Family Tree House will be closed, its too dark. I have heard rumors that they are going to bring out "rare and retired" characters late night and have a character-polooza type event. One can hope!

jjnshane

Update-

I was starting to wonder since we haven't heard anything.

That's kind of a bummer -- I was kind of looking forward to actually getting a room on property to take my daughter on an overnight trip to the park, but if it isn't going to be anything different than we would see on our normal weekly visits (in fact, it sounds like it would be even less) then there really isn't much point in spending the money and taking the day off of school. Maybe if we hear something we will change our minds and still go down for the evening and see how long we will last.

tl77

In all likelihood, the attractions that will be open will be the one that are normally open during special events like Not-so-Scary and the Christmas party. Here's a pic of the 2011 Not-so-Scary map with what was open during the party:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/photos/mnsshp-map2.htm

This is what I was thinking, they'll keep the big rides open late and, the special character appearances are probably going to be something like the Dance Party's they have at Halloween and Christmas

MarkTwain

Update-

And this is their big promotion for the year? :lookaroun

drew81

Original Poster
I would imagine that Jungle Cruise and Swiss Family Tree House will be closed, its too dark. I have heard rumors that they are going to bring out "rare and retired" characters late night and have a character-polooza type event. One can hope!

I doubt we'll see that. :(

Also-
As of right now, Dream Along with Mickey won't be having shows during the night.

MarkTwain

Not really. We are still in the "Memories" campaign.

Ah, got it.

I am surprised by how effective this was as a marketing technique, though. Several of my friends who know next to nothing about Disney or WDW (which, oddly, describes most of my friends) know about the Leap Day event, thanks to the amount of press it received on New Years.

TP2000

Fantasmic! at Disneyland is currently closed for its eight week winter refurbishment, from January 9th until.... March 3rd.

That rehab was planned long in advance, so I doubt they'll be able to fire up a show on the 29th or March 1st.

But, who knows, as "anything is possible at Disneyland!" -Walt Disney, 1965 :lol:

It would seem that Magic Kingdom Park at WDW would have a lot more leeway in pulling off special surprises and Midnight fireworks shows and such, more so than Disneyland. Magic Kingdom Park also has a lot more experience in operating for something like this Leap Year party, with their regular EMH that can go until 3AM. Disneyland just doesn't do stuff like that, aside from Grad Nite parties.

mickeysaver

What's everyone's take on this from TouringPlans.com's blog?

One More Disney Day Magic Kingdom Information

by Travis Munsonon February 1, 201221 Comments

In exactly one month Disney will celebrate Leap Day by keeping one park on each coast open for 24 hours as part of the One More Disney Day promotion. This means both the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park will be open from 6am February 29, 2012 until 6am March 1, 2012. Below is some general information regarding the Magic Kingdom for the 24 hours.

Those looking to dine at the Magic Kingdom will have several options to fulfill their hungers. In addition to the normal restaurant operating hours, all table service restaurants will extend their hours until midnight. During these extended hours, only walk-ups will be accepted. In addition to table service, at least one of the counter service restaurants will remain open for the entire 24 hours. Breakfast items will be found at several dining locations throughout the park beginning in the early hours of March 1, 2012.

Attractions that run with limited hours, such as Jungle Cruise and Tom Sawyer Island, will remain closed after their daily operating hours. Many other attractions will continue to run throughout the entire 24 hours. It’s important to note that Big Thunder Mountain is currently down for a scheduled refurbishment until May 28, 2012, and will not be operating. Additional entertainment offerings that will run throughout the 24 hours can be found on the special February 29, 2012 Times Guide.

Transportation between the Disney resorts and the Magic Kingdom will be available for the entire 24 hours. In addition, other park services such as Guest Relations, Baby Care, and First Aid will be available.

Special edition t-shirts have been created and will be sold online for 48 hours following the event.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom