Layoffs underway at Walt Disney World

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not to mention something I haven't seen brought up - only half of it was in cash, the other half in stocks.

Deal. Of. The. Century.

Especially now with what they have done with it, it's easily worth exponentially more than it was in 2012 as it has proven to be a box office powerhouse all over again.

Not to mention that Disney Parks no longer have to pay any licensing fees for the Star Wars or Indiana Jones attractions.

And they also have Indiana Jones which they haven't even begun to leverage yet with the new Indy movie and the rumored new Indy-based attractions.

And LucasFilm Animation (Clone Wars, Rebels, LEGO Star Wars, Forces of Destiny).

And Industrial Light and Magic, which is the largest visual effects vendor in the motion picture industry, with regards to workforce, with more than 500 artists. It has one of the largest render farms currently available with more than 7500 nodes.

Deal of the millennium.

Falcon.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney Springs also has this going for it:

Free parking and free transportation there for those at Disney Resorts or from the parks after 4 PM.

Being open well after many of the parks close.

Some store that aren't expensive (Uniqlo, Columbia) for when you need to buy clothing when you're at the park.

The comfort of the 'Disney bubble' knowing you're not going to a mall where there will be gangs or a cadre of pickpockets and street urchins... unless there's a production of A Christmas Carol going on there...​

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disney is already strong arming the theaters in their dealings concerning Star Wars-that hardball type tactics is unusual and most of the theater chains say they have never encountered such nasty tactics. That is the first signal that all is not rosy in Star War land.

No, it's a signal that Disney is operating from a position of extreme strength and is playing hardball. They're being nasty because they know that the strength of their product allows it.

You're misreading the signals.

Okay, we get that you dislike Star Wars. That doesn't make anything else you're saying fact. Star Wars will be making Disney money for at least as long as it takes the generation of kids that are between 5-10 years now to old grow old.

Force Awakens 2 billion Rogue One 1 billion. That is a big drop and that is why Disney is playing hard ball. Frozen generated as much as Star Wars in merchandise and they didn't spend 4 billion to purchase Frozen. If it was such a great deal Disney stock would not be down 10% while other stocks are running up nicely.

He clearly hasn't a single clue about Star Wars. It's kind of funny. I bet he is one of the types that think Rogue One was a movie full of girls, too, haha.

Rogue One is actually the proof of how strong the Star Wars brand is, especially since the real fan-service connections to the franchise were kept secret because they largely occur in the last ten minutes of the film. As much as I love the classic trilogy, it entirely proved that the Star Wars concepts can be put into what is largely an original film with almost all brand-new characters, they didn't even promote the most promotable features of the film, and it STILL made a billion bucks.

Star Wars is going to continue to make money for decades to come. It's survived 40 years, it's as evergreen as evergreen gets - and you bet your behind that every other studio is crying in their C-3PO's cereal that they didn't get to buy it themselves.

Wait did you just say Star Wars isn’t as popular as it used to be? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Edit: And Rogue 1 was a standalone film with one-off characters, not trilogy. Of course it was going to make less. Last Jedi will be the only comparison.

I certainly don’t believe the sky is falling, but the company’s motion picture division has... quite a few problems.

Nothing to elaborate on yet.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If there is one thing Iger should be praised for, its the film division - SW and Marvel were both great (if somewhat obvious) acquisitions, and Disney is at the forefront of the current version of Hollywood. Last Jedi is tracking for an over $200 million opening weekend. The criticism regarding SW and Marvel is not the acquisition but how slow and cautious Disney has been about leveraging those properties in the parks - its like they themselves don't understand how successful and enduring the franchises on which they spent billions are.

^^^ THIS ^^^ A SWL should have been greenlighted as soon as ink was dry on purchase contract and should have been completed in 2 years, And it needed to be its own gate.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Its closing because it is nearly 20 years old and Orlando is not a market like Las Vegas where shows can last for longer. No denying it had low ticket sales over the last few years, but I've seen it every month since May of this year and its been packed. Just like the Grammys are not indicative of musical talent, so to ticket sales aren't indicative of a quality show. If it was the failure your are stupidly claiming it is, the show would have closed years ago. But it doesn't matter, it is collectives regarded by most everyone as one of Cirque's best. That's fact and I will argue to the death over it
Never seen it. Not my thing. But , i will admit it was a Disney unique experience as will the next one be.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
1. This has been done before on the coasts.
2. This is a thing in other places as well
3. It's a chain.
4. Again a chain that you can find in any major city.
5. It's closing and there are Cirques elsewhere (better shows at that)
6. Every single major outdoor mall has this.
7. Both are chains you can find in major cities (even Animal Kingdom has a RF)
8. Again this is a thing every major city.

Disney Springs is nothing special.
What’s your point. The statement was made that Disney Springs is indistinguishable from many malls on both coasts. I was asking that poster if the mall he used as an example had the things I listed. I never said all of those things are exclusive to Disney Springs. So I’ll ask you the same question as the other poster, name me another mall or a list of other malls that have ALL of those components.
I don't think that's what people are saying, though. I mean, some folks have said they personally have no reason to be there, but the point people are arguing is that it isn't largely some "unique Disney experience", nor evidence of some masterful or "must see!" addition to WDW. Or some sort of proof that WDW has been adding amazing attractions for guests. You know, how we are always going on about how everything at Disney be unique and special and original and "only at Disney". It's fine - it's lovely - especially if you are stuck only using Disney transportation, you don't have many other options.

You can disagree with that, as well, but most of the stuff you are referring to was already there before, and/or part of a non-Disney chain that is available elsewhere. A hot air balloon and a boat rental place are cool - but not exactly "innovative" or especially impressive.
Everything doesn’t have to be a unique Disney experience. I enjoy the boat rentals at CR on Bay Lake. I think it’s a quality addition to WDW to offer that as an alternative to pounding the pavement in a theme park on a break day. I could go many other places to rent a boat on a lake but that doesn’t mean it’s not enjoyable at WDW too. Same goes for the Boardwalk. Many beach towns have boardwalks and a lot of them are larger with more to do. That doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the one at WDW. Same goes for mini-golf or tennis or spas at some of the resorts. None are unique. Disney Springs is not a reason to visit WDW. It’s not something that will draw crowds in, but it’s a high quality addition to the resort. If you are interested in shopping or a meal outside of a theme park it’s a nice alternative while at WDW.

flynnibus

Premium Member
ESPN is a disaster-when you turn a profit machine into what appears to be an albatross because of poor decisions-it it a disaster. There were many other areas where a return on that investment would have been better utilized than the billions spent on Star Wars-it was not a great business decision and their return will not pay off as anticipated. Yea whatever on the parade. That sounds like double speak for short changing the customers. It is foolish to be an apologist for Iger as you seem to be.

Dude..
Whatever you are smoking... please stop

Clue-less

flynnibus

Premium Member
From what I have heard, most if not all of the recent layoff are being given assistance in finding new roles either inside or outside the company.

Uhh... that's just standard practice when people are RIF'd. Usually it's more lip service tho. They also give them job placement help etc. this is all standard faire...

AEfx

I could go many other places to rent a boat on a lake but that doesn’t mean it’s not enjoyable at WDW too. Same goes for the Boardwalk. Many beach towns have boardwalks and a lot of them are larger with more to do. That doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy the one at WDW. Same goes for mini-golf or tennis or spas at some of the resorts. None are unique. Disney Springs is not a reason to visit WDW. It’s not something that will draw crowds in, but it’s a high quality addition to the resort. If you are interested in shopping or a meal outside of a theme park it’s a nice alternative while at WDW.

Yup, no disagreement there at all. I don't think anyone would argue with that.

AEfx

I certainly don’t believe the sky is falling, but the company’s motion picture division has... quite a few problems.

Nothing to elaborate on yet.

I never doubt the veracity of your information, but they must be pretty high class problems. In 2016, they were the #1 movie studio by an obscene margin. For 2017 so far, they are #2 at the moment in terms of market share - but when you actually look at those domestic numbers:

MARKET SHARE / GROSS (B) / # of films (total tracked/2017 releases)
1 Warner Bros. 19.6% $1,788.0 (29 / 16)
2 Disney 17.7% $1,614.2 (10 / 6)
3 Universal 16.0% $1,461.5 (15 / 13)

WB is only higher because they are releasing almost 3 times the films, and even then - once TLJ comes out, Disney will be rocketing to the top, again, by a crazy margin.

I don't have the worldwide numbers handy, but if I am not mistaken they show the same type of phenomenal success, especially when you consider the per-film averages. It's pretty incredible, considering where they started, particularly with live action.

(Edit, my little chart looks gorgeous in the editor, but like crap for some reason when it's actually posted - my apologies)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I never doubt the veracity of your information, but they must be pretty high class problems. In 2016, they were the #1 movie studio by an obscene margin. For 2017 so far, they are #2 at the moment in terms of market share - but when you actually look at those domestic numbers:

WB is only higher because they are releasing almost 3 times the films, and even then - once TLJ comes out, Disney will be rocketing to the top, again, by a crazy margin.

I don't have the worldwide numbers handy, but if I am not mistaken they show the same type of phenomenal success, especially when you consider the per-film averages. It's pretty incredible, considering where they started, particularly with live action.

(Edit, my little chart looks gorgeous in the editor, but like crap for some reason when it's actually posted - my apologies)
Coco looks to be beating pre-release box office expectations too. It’s on track for the 3rd highest Thanksgiving weekend not much behind Moana with Frozen at #1.

I wonder if the issues are more around a shake up in leadership vs poor current results.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

All I can say for now is the figures don’t tell the whole story.

Minnesota disney fan

I used to wonder “ why those shops at DS?”. Then I had a major foot catastrophe after buying new sneakers for my last WDW trip at a discount shoe store. I bought a pair of new Brooks at the Fit 2 Run store. Those shoes saved my trip. I figure with the visits in excess of millions, those stores can do a brisk business based purely on the needs of the vacationers who “need” makeup, something special to wear to Blue Zoo, etc. I still think it needs an Explorers club redo, but I get it now.
Thanks for the heads up on Brooks shoes at Fit2Run stores. They are great and help my plantar fasciitis. The shoe store that sold them in our town just closed, so it's good to know that Fit2Run has them.

Magenta Panther

All I can say for now is the figures don’t tell the whole story.

1pqfxn.jpg

NearTheEars

1. This has been done before on the coasts.
2. This is a thing in other places as well
3. It's a chain.
4. Again a chain that you can find in any major city.
5. It's closing and there are Cirques elsewhere (better shows at that)
6. Every single major outdoor mall has this.
7. Both are chains you can find in major cities (even Animal Kingdom has a RF)
8. Again this is a thing every major city.

Disney Springs is nothing special.

Right, and this is Orlando’s version of that, all in one place. Why is it such a bad thing just because Disney developed it?

Pixieish

Right, and this is Orlando’s version of that, all in one place. Why is it such a bad thing just because Disney developed it?
I'm not a big shopper. I miss Pleasure Island...it was a blast. The whole "outdoor mall" thing is just feeling weak as being part of the WDW experience. We stop into the Lego Store for our boys, and hubby used to love Planet Hollywood, but outside of those 2 spots, there's really no reason we'd ever set foot there.

NearTheEars

I'm not a big shopper. I miss Pleasure Island...it was a blast. The whole "outdoor mall" thing is just feeling weak as being part of the WDW experience. We stop into the Lego Store for our boys, and hubby used to love Planet Hollywood, but outside of those 2 spots, there's really no reason we'd ever set foot there.

It’s current incarnation is just to be a lifestyle center. And it appears to be a mildly successful one. Folks wanting it to be a free, park-like experience will obviously be disappointed. I hope people don’t really dedicate full, or even half days to going there while on vacation. But if they enjoy it, more power to them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom