Layoffs underway at Walt Disney World

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It was always a mall.

And my mall sure isn't that nicely done.

It serves it's purpose. I like it better than I did in the past, and I'm not really a shopper at all.

But it's still an investment they made, albeit it wasn't towards a park, but I don't mind the Disney Springs makeover.
To be fair, when PI was around it was more than just a shopping mall. Disney Springs is far superior in every way to Down Town Disney - post PI. That’s not even really debatable. For a lot of people DTD with PI was still superior to the current Disney Springs because it was pretty unique. New Year’s Eve every night, the variety of clubs, etc...

I don’t really get the argument that it looks too much like a local mall to visit. First, my local malls don’t look that good, but even if they did who really cares. Malls and lifestyle centers around the country started focusing more on dining and entertainment as online shopping started eating away at store profits. It’s not surprising that they more closely resemble what exists at Disney now. Disney Springs isn’t a reason to visit WDW but it’s a nice little addition as a place to grab a bite and walk around a little and maybe shop. It has a few nice little areas to just sit, unwind a little and people watch. It’s nice to do something relaxing that doesn’t need a FP reservation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As to it being an investment, it is, but with caveats - folks can correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of the main purposes of the redo to basically fill the place with outside vendors and management teams and relieve Disney of the responsibility for running any of the shops or restaurants themselves?
I agree with your point on varied entertainment. It’s not like when PI was around.

I think you are correct that the business model changed to one focusing on 3rd party vendors. The PI clubs were run by Disney but they realized they do make more money renting out the space then running things themselves. I don’t personally really care who runs what as long as it entertains me. City Walk and all of the hotels at Universal are run by 3rd party vendors as well as Swan/Dolphin and some of the shops and restaurants in Disney Parks including some in the countries at EPCOT. As long as they are held to the same standard as Disney run establishments I’m fine with letting a 3rd party run the venues. I have had good meals at Teppan Edo and San Angel Inn as well as Yak and Yeti in AK and didn’t notice a decrease in quality or theming.

For Disney the main risk at Disney Springs is either unsuccessful stores that close over time or a general economic recession that causes mass closings. When you run things yourself you can offer discounts and design marketing to keep stores and restaurants afloat during a temporary downturn. It’s harder to do with 3rd parties since they may have their own agenda or unrelated financial issues.

Kman101

To be fair, when PI was around it was more than just a shopping mall. Disney Springs is far superior in every way to Down Town Disney - post PI. That’s not even really debatable. For a lot of people DTD with PI was still superior to the current Disney Springs because it was pretty unique. New Year’s Eve every night, the variety of clubs, etc...

I don’t really get the argument that it looks too much like a local mall to visit. First, my local malls don’t look that good, but even if they did who really cares. Malls and lifestyle centers around the country started focusing more on dining and entertainment as online shopping started eating away at store profits. It’s not surprising that they more closely resemble what exists at Disney now. Disney Springs isn’t a reason to visit WDW but it’s a nice little addition as a place to grab a bite and walk around a little and maybe shop. It has a few nice little areas to just sit, unwind a little and people watch. It’s nice to do something relaxing that doesn’t need a FP reservation.

Agreed on all of this.

And yes, at the time, Pleasure Island helped set Downtown Disney apart.

NearTheEars

I never said i hate the place just that the Springs section is not the big hit you make it out to be.
Just because my opinion is different from yours dosn't make it less valid or umwarranted

I think the place looks awesome now, but I’m not really too excited about the store lineup. I’m just not a big shopper. And can’t stomach spending the $$$ they want for some of it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm nervously scanning this thread each day for "insider" news on if my job is safe come January, and I have to read through arguments on whether Disney Springs. Frustrating, but I get it, I guess. Not everyone is in my position.

For what it's worth, there were more layoffs after the original 145. They are done from now, at least all GEMs across property were told in meetings last week. I fear there is much more to come in January.
Sorry about the thread drift. Good luck. Hopefully it won’t be as bad as you fear.

Are there any opportunities to transfer into other roles with these layoffs or is it mostly if you receive notice, you are gone?

Rumrunner

Because he lies. All the time.

Because he has a very clear anti-Disney bias. And he hasn't been to a Disney park in decades (or maybe he has once or twice... his story keeps changing, cf. "he lies"). And yet here he is on a Disney fan forum trying his best to make Disney look bad in dozens and dozens of posts every single day.

And he has no real knowledge of what's happening at Disney, either in their offices or parks. He just repeats what he sees posted here... but only the bad stuff (cf. "anti-Disney" bias). But he posts as if he had inside knowledge telling us the intent of executives for which he has no source.

And his criticism always comes around to the same points he makes in just about every single thread in which he participates: The stock buybacks are evil. And Iger is Evil. And the stock buybacks are evil. And Iger is Evil. And Chapek is Evil. And the stock buybacks are evil. In fact, every executive is Evil except for the good ones who are now gone and dead. And the stock buybacks are evil. And Iger is Evil. And the stock buybacks are evil.

I'm mad at people who aren't mad at him.
Disney has a disaster at ESPN-over paid for Star Wars thinking it would be the same phenomenon it was in the earlier years and it is not nor will it be, cancelling simple things like the night parade, rolling up the sidewalks at MK earlier and earlier. I also am a big Disney fan but feel they just don't listen to the consumers with a understanding or caring ear. Constructive criticism is a good thing. And Ford is right about Iger-he seems to be using Disney as his liberal platform for a presidential run. That is wrong on so many fronts.

Casper Gutman

I find his lack of faith disturbing.
If there is one thing Iger should be praised for, its the film division - SW and Marvel were both great (if somewhat obvious) acquisitions, and Disney is at the forefront of the current version of Hollywood. Last Jedi is tracking for an over $200 million opening weekend. The criticism regarding SW and Marvel is not the acquisition but how slow and cautious Disney has been about leveraging those properties in the parks - its like they themselves don't understand how successful and enduring the franchises on which they spent billions are.

Rumrunner

Ummmmm.. what?
Disney is already strong arming the theaters in their dealings concerning Star Wars-that hardball type tactics is unusual and most of the theater chains say they have never encountered such nasty tactics. That is the first signal that all is not rosy in Star War land.

Casper Gutman

Disney is already strong arming the theaters in their dealings concerning Star Wars-that hardball type tactics is unusual and most of the theater chains say they have never encountered such nasty tactics. That is the first signal that all is not rosy in Star War land.
No, it's a signal that Disney is operating from a position of extreme strength and is playing hardball. They're being nasty because they know that the strength of their product allows it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney has a disaster at ESPN-over paid for Star Wars thinking it would be the same phenomenon it was in the earlier years and it is not nor will it be, cancelling simple things like the night parade, rolling up the sidewalks at MK earlier and earlier. I also am a big Disney fan but feel they just don't listen to the consumers with a understanding or caring ear. Constructive criticism is a good thing. And Ford is right about Iger-he seems to be using Disney as his liberal platform for a presidential run. That is wrong on so many fronts.

ESPN is a concern. Not a disaster. It still makes lots of profits, but the amount of profits is dwindling. Disney gets to renegotiate expensive contracts soon and is opening up streaming on several fronts.

I'll let the others flog you for the ridiculous claim that Disney overpaid for LucasFilm, which is not just Star Wars.

And you're out of the loop regarding the evening parade. Iger didn't cancel it. Lower level minions let their back-up parade rot in bad storage. Yeah, that's bad on WDW, but it wasn't a case of the CEO of the company mandating a parade cancellation.

Stop believing Ford and you'll stop saying foolish stuff that isn't true.

Casper Gutman

ESPN is a concern. Not a disaster. It still makes lots of profits, but the amount of profits is dwindling. Disney gets to renegotiate expensive contracts soon and is opening up streaming on several fronts.

I'll let the others flog you for the ridiculous claim that Disney overpaid for LucasFilm, which is not just Star Wars.

And you're out of the loop regarding the evening parade. Iger didn't cancel it. Lower level minions let their back-up parade rot in bad storage. Yeah, that's bad on WDW, but it wasn't a case of the CEO of the company mandating a parade cancellation.

Now come on, it's not fair at all to peg the rotting parade entirely - or even mostly - on "lower level minions." That sort of thing is a result of a management culture established at the highest levels, of drastic cuts to staffing and maintenance budgets. The buck stops with Iger - he deserves blame for the mismanagement of the parks for the last several decades just as much as he deserves credit for the astute handling of the film division.

And Ford is Ford. Posters here know his point of view and adjust accordingly. Just point out his "lies" - not hyperbole or subjective opinions that differ from your own - when you spot them.

Rumrunner

ESPN is a disaster-when you turn a profit machine into what appears to be an albatross because of poor decisions-it it a disaster. There were many other areas where a return on that investment would have been better utilized than the billions spent on Star Wars-it was not a great business decision and their return will not pay off as anticipated. Yea whatever on the parade. That sounds like double speak for short changing the customers. It is foolish to be an apologist for Iger as you seem to be.

Pixieish

The percentage Disney is requesting from theaters for Star Wars in NOT unprecedented. Unusual, yes, but Star Wars is a huge moneymaker, and they have the right to ask whatever percentage they deem that it is worth.

Pixieish

ESPN is a disaster-when you turn a profit machine into what appears to be an albatross because of poor decisions-it it a disaster. There were many other areas where a return on that investment would have been better utilized than the billions spent on Star Wars-it was not a great business decision and their return will not pay off as anticipated. Yea whatever on the parade. That sounds like double speak for short changing the customers. It is foolish to be an apologist for Iger as you seem to be.
Okay, we get that you dislike Star Wars. That doesn't make anything else you're saying fact. Star Wars will be making Disney money for at least as long as it takes the generation of kids that are between 5-10 years now to old grow old.

Casper Gutman

Disney didn't turn ESPN into a disaster, they failed to adapt quickly enough to changing tech, cultural, and industrial realities. The way Americans consume media has changed dramatically, and ESPN vastly overpaid for sport broadcast rights based on an outdated understanding of the audience. It IS a disaster, but of a type that is plaguing all of the major media companies.

And there are three platinum franchises in all of pop culture - SW, Marvel, and Potter, with Potter lagging a bit behind for various reasons. Modern media is driven by franchises, and Disney has two of the crown jewels. Can't fault them for that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom