Latest look at the Beauty and the Beast area construction in the new Fantasyland

IcicleM

I love Beast's castle, and I love the idea of the Be Our Guest restaurant SOOOOOOOO much, believe me, I was the first to start yelling to all my friends about how amazing the new Fantasyland is going to be.

However... You guys have to admit, in your heart of hearts, that these two concept art images are extremely similar in design ie: walking underneath a rock face to go into an attraction underneath a castle facade

Hogwarts_Exterior_concept_art-resized-600.jpg

tee596423SMALL.jpg

I LOVE this, I think it'd going to be magical and incredible, and the forced perspective is what Disney has PERFECTED over the years, so obviously I can't wait...

That being said... LOOK at it: Disney has created a similar facade. There is even a front gate you walk through

MIND YOU, Disney has NOT MADE a similar attraction, because Disney's use of the facade is completely different than IOA, but the similarities are there, you can't deny that.

I'll be back to Disney soon, and will thoroughly love what they've done with the place. I feel Beast's castle has been honored in this construction and I've been waiting for this since I heard when I was little that the castle in Disneyland Paris was Aurora's Castle, not the Beast's. That threw me for a loop! This... this is JUSTICE! :)

Condorman

In 2010...

Islands of Adventure saw 6 million guests.

Magic Kingdom... 18 million.

Hogwart's or Popeye, USO just can't seem to cross that finish line. :p

BTW, thanks to Marvel, Disney gets a cut (however small) of everyone who goes to see Monsieur Potter et friends. When people come to Cinderella Castle, no, Universal gets none of that. Disney thanks you ever so much.

Disney FTW!

MAF

LMAO, the thing isn't anywhere near to being completed and people are rushing in to say this is better than Hogwarts. :ROFLOL: If people think that this restaurant is Disney's answer to Harry Potter, then we have more delusional posters here than I first thought.

WDW FTW

The only problem i have with that particular concept drawing for Hogwarts is that the rock structure and texture didnt portray the actual appearance of the castle. The real castle rock work is... for lack of a better term "steeper, sharper" i guess flatter.

But when comparing Everest's concept art to its actual appearance the rock work stays true to the texture, which is a little more dimensional. I hope that Beast's castle stays true to its concept art.

Another added touch that i believe will make Beast's castle look much nicer is its color variety. Between the different shingles, the snow, the spire, and the water you get much more color in Beast's. Hogwarts seems a little monochromatic, more so than described in the books and movies. Oh yes... im a Potter fan.

Horizons1

I love Beast's castle, and I love the idea of the Be Our Guest restaurant SOOOOOOOO much, believe me, I was the first to start yelling to all my friends about how amazing the new Fantasyland is going to be.

However... You guys have to admit, in your heart of hearts, that these two concept art images are extremely similar in design ie: walking underneath a rock face to go into an attraction underneath a castle facade

tee596423SMALL.jpg

I LOVE this, I think it'd going to be magical and incredible, and the forced perspective is what Disney has PERFECTED over the years, so obviously I can't wait...

That being said... LOOK at it: Disney has created a similar facade. There is even a front gate you walk throughMIND YOU, Disney has NOT MADE a similar attraction, because Disney's use of the facade is completely different than IOA, but the similarities are there, you can't deny that.

Shh, you can't use logic here. That just isn't logical!

jakeman

LMAO, the thing isn't anywhere near to being completed and people are rushing in to say this is better than Hogwarts. :ROFLOL: If people think that this restaurant is Disney's answer to Harry Potter, then we have more delusional posters here than I first thought.
You really want to make this an issue don't you?

Really no one other than jt is saying that.

maxairmike

In 2010...

Islands of Adventure saw 6 million guests.

Magic Kingdom... 18 million.

From what I understand, USO and IOA's combined capacity is just below or equal to MK's capacity. So when you look at it in context, your statement is pretty off-base.

On the whole castle debate, as was stated earlier, the two being compared serve completely different purposes. Hogwarts is practically the "anchor" for IOA right now, much more comparable to Cinderella's Castle in that regard. It is very visible from both directions on I-4, and when I first realized that I was very surprised. The scale up close is somewhat diminished, but the use of forced perspective is quite simply astounding, and on equal footing to what they do at Disney.

As for Beast's Castle, it is coming along nicely, and I am excited to see it taking shape. The rock work will be essential to the overall design, so we'll really have to wait and see how that works out. But for now, very nice in all respects, and I can't wait to see it in person.

MAF

I'm not making an issue, but when people start posting attendance numbers from IOA its getting a little overboard. These posters who are so obsessed with WDW that they have to trash Universal need to seriously sit down.

djkidkaz

So..... looking at the new concept art, they have removed all the water features?
Fantasyland_Full_13345.jpg

Well you can see water under the bridge but I remember the overall concept art having a waterfall in the rockwork by beasts castle which is now missing. Hmmm...??

IcicleM

I think the water/falls will be there, we shouldn't worry about that. What Disney loves to do is create the REAL scenes you see directly out of the movie. We saw the concept art included it, and the wall stationed in fantasyland has that beautiful opening shot from the movie with the water there, I don't think it's something they will exclude. I think we may be at the wrong angle from the perspective of that concept art.

We're unable to see the waterfalls that probably fall from the left side of the castle (which would technically be the Ballroom and the Gardens) down the mountainside, and into the river beneath the bridge. I think that's still the plan, here, we just will have to wait until it's all done

jakeman

I'm not making an issue, but when people start posting attendance numbers from IOA its getting a little overboard. These posters who are so obsessed with WDW that they have to trash Universal need to seriously sit down.
One person posted attendance figures from the last page.

You do know that the word "people" is plural right?

RSoxNo1

Where did this picture come from? Is this new concept art?

From what I understand, USO and IOA's combined capacity is just below or equal to MK's capacity. So when you look at it in context, your statement is pretty off-base.

On the whole castle debate, as was stated earlier, the two being compared serve completely different purposes. Hogwarts is practically the "anchor" for IOA right now, much more comparable to Cinderella's Castle in that regard. It is very visible from both directions on I-4, and when I first realized that I was very surprised. The scale up close is somewhat diminished, but the use of forced perspective is quite simply astounding, and on equal footing to what they do at Disney.

As for Beast's Castle, it is coming along nicely, and I am excited to see it taking shape. The rock work will be essential to the overall design, so we'll really have to wait and see how that works out. But for now, very nice in all respects, and I can't wait to see it in person.

If IOA had 6 million guests last year, I'd guess that Universal wasn't too much more than that. They would still be no where near the Magic Kingdom for combined attendance

jt04

People aren't.

Jt is.

That is a difference.

I understand what jt is trying to say regarding them both being a forced perspective facade, however that is stretch in and of itself.

Hogwarts is part of the queue, where as this is just stuck on the top of a building.

Hogwarts is much more akin in function and design to Cinderella Castle than this. Beast Castle, as mentioned earlier, is much like the Eiffel Tower in France. Hopefully, it is a little more convincing than that.

Hey, I'm 'people' when I'm not a computer.

I understand what JT is saying. I do think once this project is complete Beasts Castle will be amazing for what it is. The force perspective will really make this shine. Personally I prefer this over the Potter one just because I am not a Potter fan but the village created by UNI is very very well done.

Yes. it is well done. And thanks for your perspective.

tee596423SMALL.jpg

That being said... LOOK at it: Disney has created a similar facade. There is even a front gate you walk through

MIND YOU, Disney has NOT MADE a similar attraction, because Disney's use of the facade is completely different than IOA, but the similarities are there, you can't deny that.

I'll be back to Disney soon, and will thoroughly love what they've done with the place. I feel Beast's castle has been honored in this construction and I've been waiting for this since I heard when I was little that the castle in Disneyland Paris was Aurora's Castle, not the Beast's. That threw me for a loop! This... this is JUSTICE! :)

Very well said. Exactly the point I was making.

I was specifically not comparing the attractions. I was very clear about that. I was comparing the exterior detail work.

The only problem i have with that particular concept drawing for Hogwarts is that the rock structure and texture didnt portray the actual appearance of the castle. The real castle rock work is... for lack of a better term "steeper, sharper" i guess flatter.

But when comparing Everest's concept art to its actual appearance the rock work stays true to the texture, which is a little more dimensional. I hope that Beast's castle stays true to its concept art.

Another added touch that i believe will make Beast's castle look much nicer is its color variety. Between the different shingles, the snow, the spire, and the water you get much more color in Beast's. Hogwarts seems a little monochromatic, more so than described in the books and movies. Oh yes... im a Potter fan.

Yes. this is a great point and was part of what influenced me. You can even see from the new concept art that Disney is 'counter-programming' by making the FLE extremely colorful. Brilliant choice.

Um, again I did not say that. :lol:

I think the water/falls will be there, we shouldn't worry about that. What Disney loves to do is create the REAL scenes you see directly out of the movie. We saw the concept art included it, and the wall stationed in fantasyland has that beautiful opening shot from the movie with the water there, I don't think it's something they will exclude. I think we may be at the wrong angle from the perspective of that concept art.

We're unable to see the waterfalls that probably fall from the left side of the castle (which would technically be the Ballroom and the Gardens) down the mountainside, and into the river beneath the bridge. I think that's still the plan, here, we just will have to wait until it's all done

Agreed again! I think the water features may be to the left of the concept art. I really hope they have not eliminated the water features. I know they are tough to maintain but they add so much atmosphere. Time will tell.

WDW FTW

Hahaha Jt that was a mouthful. But I can definitely see where you are coming from in your points.

As well, I do hope that the waterfalls are still part of the plans. I think it would really help connect the new pieces of fantasyland, that is if the river is still in place...

And as far as not being able to force perspective upon moving water, they can easily downsize or thin the streaming path in which the water is able to run down. This way the waterfall appears rather small, width-wise, and farther away while still maintaining its apparent height.

Lee

Adventurer
Ok...I'm standing here looking at Beast's castle.

First impression....its a wee, tiny little thing.
That said, it looks really good. When finished, and with the properly scaled scenery, it'll be quite lovely.

TP2000

First impression....its a wee, tiny little thing.
That said, it looks really good. When finished, and with the properly scaled scenery, it'll be quite lovely.

Judging by the aerial pics, and using the full-size pickup trucks parked nearby as a reference, the Beast's Castle structure on the roof is approximately 40 feet long east-west and 25 feet long north-south.

That's about the size of a small tract home, but placed up on the roof of the much larger warehouse structure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom