Latest look at the Beauty and the Beast area construction in the new Fantasyland

jt04

jt, how does this play into that suspicious pile of sticks that you were on about in the pictures a few months ago?;)

You might have missed what those were as confirmed by Jim Hill. It seems some of the 20K lagoon was just buried in place and had to be removed. I believe that is what I was seeing. It did look like some sort of reinforced concrete that was buried. I was not just making it up.

RAXIP

Interestingly they have built a larger space between the BatB and Mermaid pavilions than the original blueprints indicated allowing the area to expand in the long term. So anything is possible at this point.

Umm... sorry, I don't see any of this "larger space"
no_extra_room_jt.jpg

jt04

Umm... sorry, I don't see any of this "larger space"
no_extra_room_jt.jpg

You need an angle that looks due north. I am refering to the walkway that will intercept the current road that cast members use. There is the possibility the paved road could be rerouted in the future and allow all of the wooded area to be used to expand the FLE/MK. We are talking decades fron now though.

Lee once posted a drawing that did exactly this. But again this would be in the distant future.

FigmentJedi

It's going to be interesting to see how the scale will look when it's done. Looks kinda wonky at this point, though I suppose that's kind of the fault of looking at just photos of the construction.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I would love to see a Beauty and the Beast dark ride! I wish they would of added it to the FLE.

If disney were to make a BATB dark ride... I think it would be neat if it was an omnimover ride and it circle around the dining area like the high in the sky seuss trolley tram ride at IoA! Or like the 3 cabelleros in the Mexico Pavilion..

like this...

Untitled.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As I said last week, if we start seeing exterior detail work by June 1st then my guess was the newest FLE pavilions could open this year. Obviously it is not June 1st. Not even close. So I am going with my long standing OCT !st 2011. The 40th anniversary.

Barring hurricanes or plagues of locusts.

As much as I would like to believe this I still don't think it will happen. What we are seeing now is about 14 months work. Oct 1st is less then 6 months away. I have a hard time believing that they will be able to finish the interiors, all the external detail, and all the site work (which includes several water features and bridges) in that amount of time.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You need an angle that looks due north. I am refering to the walkway that will intercept the current road that cast members use. There is the possibility the paved road could be rerouted in the future and allow all of the wooded area to be used to expand the FLE/MK. We are talking decades fron now though.

Lee once posted a drawing that did exactly this. But again this would be in the distant future.

I see what you are referring to, but I believe they will eventually fill the gap at the back of the expansion. If you compare the aerial view to the model you can see that what is being built is a very close match to he model, but it appears they have just not started a couple of the structures. It's very possible that these are being left until later so they don't have to cut off the access road to the site.

Batb_Compare.jpg

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
As much as I would like to believe this I still don't think it will happen. What we are seeing now is about 14 months work. Oct 1st is less then 6 months away. I have a hard time believing that they will be able to finish the interiors, all the external detail, and all the site work (which includes several water features and bridges) in that amount of time.

The exterior work is always the easiest. Building the frame of a house is far easier than filling it with what the house needs to be functional. The situation is magnified with what is being built in the FLE.....

ob1thx1138

The exterior work is always the easiest. Building the frame of a house is far easier than filling it with what the house needs to be functional. The situation is magnified with what is being built in the FLE.....

Yep this is the exciting part. In a few months it is going to look like they have stopped working on the project because all we will be able to see is few odds and ends being moved around outside the buildings as all the work is going to be going on inside.

jt04

I see what you are referring to, but I believe they will eventually fill the gap at the back of the expansion. If you compare the aerial view to the model you can see that what is being built is a very close match to he model, but it appears they have just not started a couple of the structures. It's very possible that these are being left until later so they don't have to cut off the access road to the site.

Batb_Compare.jpg

This shows it exactly. In the model it is barely a pedestrian walkway. Similar to the path between IASW and the HW. But the construction pic shows it much wider. Wide enough for expansion or possibly a parade route if they were so inclined. I believe they are creating a similarly wide path between Mermaid and Storeybook Circus. You may be right they may intend to add the smaller structures including the arch. Time will tell.

Yep this is the exciting part. In a few months it is going to look like they have stopped working on the project because all we will be able to see is few odds and ends being moved around outside the buildings as all the work is going to be going on inside.

Normally I would agree with you both but I am judging by the way the DCA version went together. Out there the inside and outside details have been constructed at the same time. I am sure this cuts down on costs. And if you look back six months at the DCA project it looks quite similar to how the MK version looks now. We may be moving even a bit faster than they did due to lessons learned. Again time will tell.

PS--What will be especially interesting to watch and see is if a third clone begins somewhere as soon as the DCA version is complete. What we may be seeing is a new way to add attractions that saves substantially on development/construction costs.

Lee

Adventurer
This shows it exactly. In the model it is barely a pedestrian walkway. Similar to the path between IASW and the HW. But the construction pic shows it much wider. Wide enough for expansion or possibly a parade route if they were so inclined. I believe they are creating a similarly wide path between Mermaid and Storeybook Circus. You may be right they may intend to add the smaller structures including the arch.

The other structure, mostly the restroom facility, will be added later when there is no need for that gap to be a construction entrance. (see photo)

Same for the area between Mermaid and Circus. It is going to be a construction access area while needed, then be converted to a normal firelane after that. (There will also be a temporary firelane and construction road on the east side of the Circus.)

As for the timeframe, I again refer to the internal schedule that Disney has for the whole project. BatB and Mermaid are scheduled to open in Q1 of fiscal 2013. That is late summer/early fall of next year.
Don't be fooled by some speedy exterior framing. There is a TON of work to do yet. They haven't even started on the castle walls or the extensive landscape and water canal work.

Attachments

• backrr.jpg
    backrr.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 114

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom