News Lasseter taking leave of absence

the.dreamfinder

Pixar wasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders during Lasseter's final years at the top. The creative high points like Coco and Inside Out were increasingly fewer and further between, and its hard to know how much Lasseter personally had to do with them. I think the last film he directed and wrote for was Cars 2.
Re Pixar recent decline:
To what degree was it caused by excessive sequels, Lasseter creating a unwelcoming culture towards new voices and veterans feeling spent and tapping out?

BoarderPhreak

Goodness, a pretty skinner BDS unix clone is not innovation, its marketing and Apple does it very well.
First, it's BSD - and that's only the kernel (Darwin). Let's not forget what Apple DOES add to the OS - the APIs (of which there are at least 100). The UI is not a "skin" as you call it; it doesn't even run X11. It's based on OpenGL and Metal, supports Carbon (or rather, used to) and Cocoa and has APIs for all of the above. I'm guessing you didn't quite follow along with the evolution of NeXTstep to OpenStep to Rhapsody to Mac OS X. All the apps on the Unix side are mostly GNU or other open source (but that can be said of BSD, Linux or other OSes (especially the Server components; e.g. Apache w/WebDav, Postfix, Bind, etc.).

Apple did write Numbers, Pages and Keynote. Aperture, Final Cut Pro, Garageband, iTunes... Yada, yada, yada. If they didn't write it, they bought it (or components) and *tightly* integrated it with the OS. Then made an OS version for iDevices (iPhone and iPad) as iOS as well as smartwatches as watchOS. The hardware is all highly customized (granted with larger commodity components) to work together with the OS and software like nobody else.

Remember all those highly custom, tightly integrated software/hardware Unix workstations? Well, there's only one left. Apple.

Phil12

Off topic, but a reply to this post, out of everyone I know, like 2 people don’t have an iPhone. I am an iPhone fan, but seems, even more so lately, most people at least that I know, have switched to iPhone.
You need to make some more friends. Android outsells IOS by a tremendous margin. Obviously there are still a lot of technologically challenged people that use iPhones and that's OK.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You need to make some more friends. Android outsells IOS by a tremendous margin. Obviously there are still a lot of technologically challenged people that use iPhones and that's OK.

Such shade!!

1526002406756.png

JustInTime

Pixar wasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders during Lasseter's final years at the top. The creative high points like Coco and Inside Out were increasingly fewer and further between, and its hard to know how much Lasseter personally had to do with them. I think the last film he directed and wrote for was Cars 2.
He helped produce and approved everything though. His signature is literally on evey modern Disney and Pixar classic.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Off topic, but a reply to this post, out of everyone I know, like 2 people don’t have an iPhone. I am an iPhone fan, but seems, even more so lately, most people at least that I know, have switched to iPhone.
Funny most people in my circle have switched to Android after getting sick of their iPhones.

That's the thing about anecdotal evidence. It depends on individual biases and experience, which is hardly a representative sample. Both my and your experiences are valid - but neither tell the story of market share for iPhones vs Android.

So can we please get back to talking about Disney?

Sir_Cliff

Re Pixar recent decline:
To what degree was it caused by excessive sequels, Lasseter creating a unwelcoming culture towards new voices and veterans feeling spent and tapping out?
Would be interesting to know. I find the recent reliance on sequels a particularly odd development. Obviously it makes sense from a financial standpoint, but the idea with Lasseter was that he was almost alone as a creative with enough power to stand up to the accountants down in Burbank. Yet Pixar has ended up following the strategy of what were considered far less prestige animation studios by churning out sequel after sequel of their big hits. It wouldn't be surprising if this was a result of new creative voices being stifled and the veterans increasingly phoning it in which you'd imagine reflected a culture that did not welcome new voices or encourage innovation. Who knows if that's true, though.

The Empress Lilly

Would be interesting to know. I find the recent reliance on sequels a particularly odd development. Obviously it makes sense from a financial standpoint, but the idea with Lasseter was that he was almost alone as a creative with enough power to stand up to the accountants down in Burbank. Yet Pixar has ended up following the strategy of what were considered far less prestige animation studios by churning out sequel after sequel of their big hits. It wouldn't be surprising if this was a result of new creative voices being stifled and the veterans increasingly phoning it in which you'd imagine reflected a culture that did not welcome new voices or encourage innovation. Who knows if that's true, though.
I believe it is more to do with the Iger strategy of franchises. Cars, Toy Story need content to carry their franchises. From lands at the parks to the junk filling the $0.99 trays at discount supermarkets.

DisneyGigi

I don’t keep up with phone sale statistics. Only stating that in my personal experience, I have watched my messages turn blue, from green a lot these past couple of years. No need to be snarky. :) Have a great day and back to topic- I would at least hope Lassater is back for the opening of Toy Story Land and hopefully Toy Story 4.

the.dreamfinder

If I was, I certainly wouldn’t be answering posts on a Disney fan site. Unless, I also was representing people accused of the same sort of thing, that hold much higher offices. :) With that, ya’ll have fun. Geez, you take stuff, way too seriously. Maybe you guys need to chill, a shot. Have a Magical Day though!
Based on the fact there are settlements, he likely sexually assaulted women.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom