News Lasseter taking leave of absence

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
(I'm not going to make this a political statement, but I will have a few political mentions here, simply as part of the overall thing. This is all as a forewarning)

Speaking for myself, as several different things (A Disney lover, a center-left individual (aka moderate registered Democrat), and a man who is a committed feminist), I feel that #metoo/Time's Up is necessary and should exist. However, it definitely has problematic blind spots, and is also incomplete because as of yet, it doesn't incorporate the need to root out those who prey upon children.

Simply put, 90 percent of the accounts that have come out since Harvey Weinstein's exposure are clearly accurate and trustworthy, and these individuals deserve whatever is coming to them. But false reports, while they are very rare, are still a real danger (not as much as MRAs exaggerate, but still) and must be guarded against. And allegations must be investigated thoroughly and verified before accepted. It is time for us to stop automatically disbelieving women, but we must also not automatically believe them. Without any chance to dig in the circumstances, these situations will fester. The case of Al Franken is a good example. Franken was denied an opportunity for the investigation that he himself called for, and the Senate Democrats dropped the ball considerably. I do agree that the more accounts there are, as a general rule of thumb, the more likely the charges are, but there's still a chance of being invented. These eight alleged accounts of misconduct didn't have to be created by all these women getting together into a room and meeting and conjuring the stories then and there, as they could very easily have just done so independently. In addition, four of the women have never been identified by name, meaning that they could very well not exist, and the writers of those articles could have simply invented them. Kristen Gillibrand et al should've stuck by Franken and incresed the call for an ethics investigation. Of course, it was ultimately Franken's call to resign, and he very easily could have chosen otherwise, but such a stunning lack of faith doesn't go unnoticed. The fact that we'll never know the truth now is utterly disheartening, and there is little chance that the Democrats' decision moved the needle in a significant manner. (For more about this politically speaking, view my article here: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/12/7/1722316/-Al-Franken-Democrats-Self-Imposed-Disembowelment)

There's also the very real fact that honest miscommunication can easily be a driving factor in recent allegations. James Franco, for example, has been defended by virtually all his friends as the complete opposite of a predator. But Seth Rogen, Allison Brie, et al's stories were not reported compared to Ally Sheedy and the others' accounts. There's a very good chance that these women are looking at the actions out of context, and the social climate has encouraged them to misread the situation. (It also should not have kept him and The Disaster Artist out of the running for the Oscars. In many ways, it was robbing not only Franco of a crowning glory, but Tommy Wiseau as well, of the ultimate sign that world's greatest and most beloved bad director has well and truly arrived in the mainstream. Coupled with using the allegations to knock Franco out but keeping in Gary Oldman, someone who was charged by his ex-wife of attacking her with a phone and strangling her, to the point that he won Best Actor, it comes across as thoroughly cynical and opportunistic, not to mention selective.) This is also the case regarding the Aziz Ansari story. While there is no doubt that the date was problematic and that he had a hard time grasping the fact that sex was not going to be the outcome, the fact that the woman (who, let me be clear here, had every right to change her mind) would cross some boundaries, like oral and naked cuddling, but not others, would be confusing as hell to anyone. And if the individual is on the autistic spectrum (as Lasseter may possibly be, in addition to a possible alcoholic), then the situation is basically a booby trap. (For more about that element, look here:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...m-The-Future-The-Needling-And-The-Damage-Done)

But above all, the biggest problem and blind spot with the movement is its lack of focus on a problem that it is poised to be of great assistance in: the danger of child molestation. But at this moment, Rose McGowan is still on civil and friendly terms with Jeepers Creepers director Victor Salva (who was convicted of child sex offenses long before he made the first film), and she was known to be very dismissive of Corey Feldman, not just for his initial claims, but for his friendship with Michael Jackson. Many of these people have not approached the very real fact that this is an important issue, and that Hollywood is very much protecting individuals like Bryan Singer and Gary Goddard, and of course has their problematic handling of the cases of Roman Polanski and Woody Allen. (After all, what can be said when Judd Apatow basically spent much of two years attacking Bill Cosby with full-throated denunciation, but did not do the same for Woody Allen, as well as help produce Paul Reubens' resurrection of Pee-Wee Herman for Netflix?) Individuals like these are protected, while Michael Jackson, an innocent man who did so much to better the world and bring about much needed change, was raked over the coals over decades of lies, slander and innuendo. (Could the man who wrote this song possibly have committed such vile acts? . For more info about Michael's case, look here at the articles on this informative site: https://vindicatemj.wordpress.com/)

The movement is needed, but it needs to grow and evolve, as well as nail down standards for accepting allegations to ensure innocent people's lives aren't destroyed. Otherwise, hubris and arrogance will surely doom it.

BRAVO, Very well said indeed.

FigmentJedi

I've been skeptical of Lasseter's image as the golden boy since he booted Chris Sanders, but I never considered that's what happened to Glen Keane.

Also, that Joe Ranft was the one creative that could actively call out John on his BS goes well with my hypothesis that Pixar's downturn started with his death and that the quality of stuff like TS3, Up and Wall-E can be attributed to all of them seeming like a way for the filmmakers to deal with their grief.

michmousefan

Yeah... can't seem like there's much of a chance that Iger is going to welcome Lasseter back. Too many troubling accusations remain and too many opportunities to position (perhaps somewhat unearned) Disney/Pixar as "moving forward" and "moving on" from the past. It's kind of a no-brainer, actually.

Let Lasseter go off and start his own rival studio, or at least try to. We shall see who he can get on board to help him. Doesn't sound like it will be a flood of people.

britain

It would be very interesting to hear John address any of these accusations specifically rather than just in that "missteps" statement. If he stays, obviously he would act contrite, but there would also be incentive to 'move on.' If he goes, he might stay silent for a good number of years.

the.dreamfinder

Yeah. That is a rough one. Lasseter did a ton of press around Cars claiming full credit for it.
One of those things where we knew some of the story, but now more know about it through this article.
In the mid-1990s, Klubien pitched The Yellow Car at Pixar, an idea that eventually morphed into Pixar’s behemoth franchise Cars. That project led to an acrimonious split with Pixar over controversy of how much he contributed to the finished film. Last year, he said in an interview that, “I feel John Lasseter has written me out of the story of how the film got made, taking all the credit himself.” (Klubien receives an “original story” and screenplay credit on the movie.)

the.dreamfinder

It would be very interesting to hear John address any of these accusations specifically rather than just in that "missteps" statement. If he stays, obviously he would act contrite, but there would also be incentive to 'move on.' If he goes, he might stay silent for a good number of years.
To do otherwise flat out opens him for slam dunk lawsuits.
Well...

Via @BBW_BFF (Priscilla Page)

Stripes

Premium Member
John Lasseter won't be returning to Disney and Pixar after misconduct allegations. His time has been completed and we're ready to move forward. Excellent internal candidates to lead Pixar...Watch them continue to strive.
I have no doubt that Pixar will continue to thrive without him. There is way too much talent in Emeryville. I haven't read up on the allegations, mainly because a lot of them make me sick to my stomach. Last I read, he was called a "hugger", but I'm sure it's worse than that. For me, ignorance is bliss in cases like this.

Rteetz

I think the verdict is still out on whether or not Apple can survive without Steve Jobs. Certainly, they have stagnated a great deal since his death. I'm curious to see where they are in 5 or 10 more years.
I think this gets into personal opinion. Obviously don't want to turn this into an Apple discussion but their innovations certainly have declined but how much they make really hasn't. Apple is still making a boat load of money. It would take a lot to make them just disappear right now.

Stripes

Premium Member
I think this gets into personal opinion. Obviously don't want to turn this into an Apple discussion but their innovations certainly have declined but how much they make really hasn't. Apple is still making a boat load of money. It would take a lot to make them just disappear right now.
Apple was never a really innovative company. They just do things better and provide a better experience. You could make the case that the original iPod, iPhone, and iPad were innovative, but after the originals it has just been refinement of the original. Since Steve's passing, the refinement has arguably increased enormously. Compare the 4S on iOS 5, which was announced the day before Steve passed away, to the X. Then compare the original iPhone to the 4S. They've stepped up the pace, imo.

Rumors are they're working on some new products. I think they will be the true test of their long-term (20 years) success post-Jobs.

Sir_Cliff

If Apple can survive without Steve Jobs, Pixar can survive without John. I'm hopeful we'll see more of Pete Docter in the future.
Pixar wasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders during Lasseter's final years at the top. The creative high points like Coco and Inside Out were increasingly fewer and further between, and its hard to know how much Lasseter personally had to do with them. I think the last film he directed and wrote for was Cars 2.

DisneyGigi

Off topic, but a reply to this post, out of everyone I know, like 2 people don’t have an iPhone. I am an iPhone fan, but seems, even more so lately, most people at least that I know, have switched to iPhone.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Apple was never a really innovative company. They just do things better and provide a better experience. You could make the case that the original iPod, iPhone, and iPad were innovative, but after the originals it has just been refinement of the original. Since Steve's passing, the refinement has arguably increased enormously. Compare the 4S on iOS 5, which was announced the day before Steve passed away, to the X. Then compare the original iPhone to the 4S. They've stepped up the pace, imo.

Rumors are they're working on some new products. I think they will be the true test of their long-term (20 years) success post-Jobs.

Goodness, a pretty skinner BDS unix clone is not innovation, its marketing and Apple does it very well.

Stripes

Premium Member
Goodness, a pretty skinner BDS unix clone is not innovation, its marketing and Apple does it very well.
I'm pretty sure we've had a little debate before. I'm not interested in an argument whatsoever. For what it's worth, I believe you have to really commit to the ecosystem in order to "get it". Apple continues to make phenomenal products. Quite frankly their marketing, in the past several years, has sucked. I cringe whenever I see most Apple commercials these days, and am pleasantly surprised when I don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom