News Lasseter taking leave of absence

ThemeParkJunkee

I plan to see Coco now that the Frozen short has been removed. Interesting replacement in the Pixar employee addition. So many people are necessary to make a truly great animated feature. I hope people don't stay away.

the.dreamfinder

Saw Coco this morning. A beautiful, funny, visually stunning piece of art from Pixar. One of their best, if not the best. Several of us in our party of 6 were sniffling towards the end - my daughter was openly crying.

Before the picture started, the 3 Pixar employees responsible for the film talked about making the film, how important to them that we see it and enjoy it, etc. You have to wonder if this little "we hope you enjoy the film we loved...and laboured to make" was because of feared blow back because of John. Sad that they had to do it. But glad I didn't have to suffer through that awful Olaf short. Please put your issues with John Lasseter aside and see this film. You will be missing another Pixar Oscar winner if you don't.
They’ve been running those in front of Pixar films at AMC theaters for years.

SorcererMC

Interesting to note that Lasseter didn't appear on this list of people who have been accused of sexual misconduct since the Weinstein scandal, except as part of an "other fallout" list at the end: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/10/us/men-accused-sexual-misconduct-weinstein.html?_r=0

I don't know quite how to explain it: is it that Lasseter just isn't that famous, or is it that Disney has managed this crisis expertly?
I think your answer is in this paragraph from a different NY Times article:
No one has publicly accused Mr. Lasseter of sexual assault or anything close to it. People at Disney (who were told not to speak to the press) described Mr. Lasseter’s effusive and often theatrical personality, and said he sometimes subjected women to prolonged bear hugs, inappropriate touching and kissing on the lips, incidents they said were usually fueled by alcohol.
____________________​
Some Variety/THR articles have referred to groping which could be considered battery/assault (criminal charge)....JL's statement subtly contains a defense against any such potential claims, where it states 'no matter how benign my intent'.
Re: sexual harassment (civil claim) - it's worth noting that the use of alcohol would probably not protect JL and/or TWDC from a determination of liability, because TWDC/ Iger has an obligation to address improper behavior whether it is alcohol-fueled or not.

IMO the article is 1) a smoke and mirrors denial that there is any sort of sexual harassment and/or workplace hostility problem occurring, and 2) if there were, that JL's departure would 'fix it' and there would not be any sort of impact on the animation studios' future success.
aka 'Nothing to see here.' Lasseter sabbatical = problem solved.

Sir_Cliff

Saw Coco this morning. A beautiful, funny, visually stunning piece of art from Pixar. One of their best, if not the best. Several of us in our party of 6 were sniffling towards the end - my daughter was openly crying.

Before the picture started, the 3 Pixar employees responsible for the film talked about making the film, how important to them that we see it and enjoy it, etc. You have to wonder if this little "we hope you enjoy the film we loved...and laboured to make" was because of feared blow back because of John. Sad that they had to do it. But glad I didn't have to suffer through that awful Olaf short. Please put your issues with John Lasseter aside and see this film. You will be missing another Pixar Oscar winner if you don't.
Thankfully it seems like the controversy surrounding John Lasseter hasn't attached itself to Coco. It also seems like the Pixar brand hasn't suffered at all.

Phil12

I'd like to see Olaf and Stitch do a movie together. I've heard that Olaf does a great impression of Elvis during the "fat" years.

21stamps

I plan to see Coco now that the Frozen short has been removed. Interesting replacement in the Pixar employee addition. So many people are necessary to make a truly great animated feature. I hope people don't stay away.

I don’t think it was removed, but I wouldn’t let that stop you from seeing a movie.. just get there 15 minutes after the showing time, if you can’t handle seeing any of the Frozen characters.

I don't remember seeing one at any Pixar film showing before. Just the Pixar short.

Did you arrive a few minutes late? We arrived about 5-10 minutes late to Coco, missed the beginning of the Frozen short.. the Pixar bit was after Frozen ended. Just wondering if maybe you missed it.

Movielover

I don't remember seeing one at any Pixar film showing before. Just the Pixar short.

Different theater chains (although mainly AMC) Will sponsor these types of opening welcome from some of the film's creators. It's mainly a plea to help keep audiences coming back to the theater instead of using alternate means of viewing films.
These have nothing to do with Lasseter.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I don’t think it was removed, but I wouldn’t let that stop you from seeing a movie.. just get there 15 minutes after the showing time, if you can’t handle seeing any of the Frozen characters.

Did you arrive a few minutes late? We arrived about 5-10 minutes late to Coco, missed the beginning of the Frozen short.. the Pixar bit was after Frozen ended. Just wondering if maybe you missed it.

The Olaf short has been removed.

I'm never late to a movie. My butt is in my seat at least 10 minutes before the posted show time. So I get to watch all the inane local ads before the 15 minutes of trailers start. Judging by all the trailers I watched yesterday, there are a lot of not very good family movies opening over the next months. Seriously, a Gnomeo and Juliet 2? :confused:

21stamps

The Olaf short has been removed.

I'm never late to a movie. My butt is in my seat at least 10 minutes before the posted show time. So I get to watch all the inane local ads before the 15 minutes of trailers start. Judging by all the trailers I watched yesterday, there are a lot of not very good family movies opening over the next months. Seriously, a Gnomeo and Juliet 2? :confused:

Wow. When did that happen? It looked like a lot of work went into it.. is there a reason it was removed?

Lol on the not-very-good family moves!.. I’ve never heard of Gnomeo and Juliet 1.. so we definitely won’t be rushing to see 2.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Different theater chains (although mainly AMC) Will sponsor these types of opening welcome from some of the film's creators. It's mainly a plea to help keep audiences coming back to the theater instead of using alternate means of viewing films.
These have nothing to do with Lasseter.

Don't remember seeing opening welcome from some of the film's creators before...and we only have 2 movie theatres in town, so all my viewing is at AMC, since it's 10 minutes from my front door. However, the last Pixar movie I saw in the theatres was Brave (June 2012 opening), so perhaps this is recent. Watched Inside Out on the DVC member cruise. There was kind of an opening from one of the film's creators - an hour long talk & questions session with Pete Docter. So I got to meet perhaps the new chief of Disney animation.... :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Wow. When did that happen? It looked like a lot of work went into it.. is there a reason it was removed?

Lol on the not-very-good family moves!.. I’ve never heard of Gnomeo and Juliet 1.. so we definitely won’t be rushing to see 2.

A couple of weeks ago. It got a lot of negative criticism.

Oh, yeah, lots of really bad family movies coming. The only one I was excited about...and would see...was Incredibles 2. The rest I wouldn't even bother watching once they hit TV. But the kids will love them.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They don't do this for every film, as I said its pretty much sponsored by the theater chain. All I can say is that this is not new.

My AMC theatre must be one of the cheap ones, then, lol. I liked seeing the film's creators and would have remembered.

21stamps

Don't remember seeing opening welcome from some of the film's creators before...and we only have 2 movie theatres in town, so all my viewing is at AMC, since it's 10 minutes from my front door. However, the last Pixar movie I saw in the theatres was Brave (June 2012 opening), so perhaps this is recent. Watched Inside Out on the DVC member cruise. There was kind of an opening from one of the film's creators - an hour long talk & questions session with Pete Docter. So I got to meet perhaps the new chief of Disney animation.... :)

Inside Out had my favorite short beforehand!
Lava.

They don't do this for every film, as I said its pretty much sponsored by the theater chain. All I can say is that this is not new.

It is sponsored by the theater chain? We have so many movie theaters where I live.. sometimes I’m at AMC, sometimes Regal, etc.

I didn’t see Coco at an AMC.. but I did see the animators bit.
That’s interesting, I never linked the theaters to those segments....but, I’ve never paid attention to who sponsors them.

Movielover

My AMC theatre must be one of the cheap ones, then, lol. I liked seeing the film's creators and would have remembered.

I certainly like them more than the other type of pre-show "entertainment", where the cast of a new show describes their shows as "new and edgy", and that we see "new surprises for their characters"... ugh I hate that crap...

Movielover

Inside Out had my favorite short beforehand!
Lava.

It is sponsored by the theater chain? We have so many movie theaters where I live.. sometimes I’m at AMC, sometimes Regal, etc.

I didn’t see Coco at an AMC.. but I did see the animators bit.
That’s interesting, I never linked the theaters to those segments....but, I’ve never paid attention to who sponsors them.

Again it's all different but some of them they specifically mention or comment on the particular theater chain. Once you see enough of them you pick up on a pattern...

21stamps

A couple of weeks ago. It got a lot of negative criticism.

Oh, yeah, lots of really bad family movies coming. The only one I was excited about...and would see...was Incredibles 2. The rest I wouldn't even bother watching once they hit TV. But the kids will love them.

So weird. We just watched it on Wednesday. Maybe it’s regional, or up to individual theaters.

Incredibles 2 will probably be the only other movie we see in the near future... besides SW of course.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've seen the creators thank the audience before the film starts. But I can't remember for which films. Maybe I've seen it 3 to 4 times.

Hattieboxghost110

My God, this film. Went to see it last night with the wife. She was bawling, I was fighting the tears. This is officially my new favorite Pixar film of all time.

As a Mexican-American, it was awesome seeing so much of my culture being represented in an animated film. It rarely happens. This story really hit deep for so many of us. Thank you Lee Unkrich, Pixar/Disney, and yes, John Lasseter for making such a beautiful and moving masterpiece.

I'm going to say it, please come back John Lasseter. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom