News Lasseter taking leave of absence

Nubs70

honest question is

so assault is based on people's opinions? wow.
As to opinion of assault.

The test is "would a reasonable person feel..."

Now that snowflakes are becoming mainstream, reasonable is becoming more sensitive to the point where "triggered" is becoming equated to assault.

bclane

honest question is

so assault is based on people's opinions? wow.
Here is a handy site if you want to dig a little deeper into the definitions:

https://legaldictionary.net/sexual-assault/
https://legaldictionary.net/sexual-battery/

Here is an excerpt from the sexual assault page:

In the U.S., the specific definition of sexual assault varies by state. Sexual assault is commonly recognized as any unwanted sexual contact, or threats of sexual contact. Sexual assault includes the touching of another person’s body in a sexual manner without that person’s express consent, even if the touching occurs through clothing. This sexual assault definition also includes kissing, groping, and fondling.

Also important to note, is that there are degrees of sexual assault. Not all crimes are created equal...

TeriofTerror

I once read a statistic that only eight percent of rape cases result in convictions. Let that sink in for a moment. Eight percent. The thought makes me ill.
Is it any wonder that people often don't bother to come forward? Why subject yourself to the victim-blaming and stress of a trial when the odds are the perpetrator will walk free, anyway?
When other victims step forward, however, the math changes - at least in the court of public opinion. With one victim, it's hard to overcome "he said/she said". But a pattern of behavior is harder to ignore.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Everyone calm down...have a can of Coke.

coke-can-with-texture-3d-model-low-poly-max-obj-fbx-mtl.png

(oh...wait...)

The Mom

Premium Member
A lot of leeway has been allowed as far as letting posters discuss the details of Lasseter's leave of absence, accusations, etc. But please do not pull in every other new - or old - report of sexual harassment, assault, etc. and start discussing it in this thread. Unless it concerns something new related to WDW .There is a whole sub-forum devoted to anything related Politics and Social Issues.

Please stay on topic. Thank you.

the.dreamfinder

Probably would be best to lock it until new developments, like a piece where Lasseter’s accusers talk on the record with their names, come out.

I’ll move the Singer piece to Spirit’s thread.

Sir_Cliff

JoeCamel

Interesting to note that Lasseter didn't appear on this list of people who have been accused of sexual misconduct since the Weinstein scandal, except as part of an "other fallout" list at the end: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/10/us/men-accused-sexual-misconduct-weinstein.html?_r=0

I don't know quite how to explain it: is it that Lasseter just isn't that famous, or is it that Disney has managed this crisis expertly?
Different type of harassment

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Saw Coco this morning. A beautiful, funny, visually stunning piece of art from Pixar. One of their best, if not the best. Several of us in our party of 6 were sniffling towards the end - my daughter was openly crying.

Before the picture started, the 3 Pixar employees responsible for the film talked about making the film, how important to them that we see it and enjoy it, etc. You have to wonder if this little "we hope you enjoy the film we loved...and laboured to make" was because of feared blow back because of John. Sad that they had to do it. But glad I didn't have to suffer through that awful Olaf short. Please put your issues with John Lasseter aside and see this film. You will be missing another Pixar Oscar winner if you don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom