News Lasseter taking leave of absence

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Those websites aren't working for me, what exactly is the article saying and what happened to Lassaster?

John Lasseter has taken a sabbatical from Disney due to reports that he behaved inappropriately towards female staff. He admitted as such in his memo to staff. No woman has publicly gone on record yet to say what they experienced. But articles in both The Hollywood Reporter and LA Times discussed his behavior observed by others.

Winter

John Lasseter has taken a sabbatical from Disney due to reports that he behaved inappropriately towards female staff. He admitted as such in his memo to staff. No woman has publicly gone on record yet to say what they experienced. But articles in both The Hollywood Reporter and LA Times discussed his behavior observed by others.
Oh.

Why are so many of this stuff happening??? This is about the 6th time in the past 2 months that I've heard of somebody famous/important doing stuff like this.

Winter

It's been going on for much longer than that. Women - and men, too - have decided they will no longer remain silent.
Oh, so it isn't something that just started happening, but rather people are telling the world about it more? Well that's much better , I thought it suddenly started becoming a major thing now.

CinematicFusion

"Easily addressed" as you put it can also be easily dismissed as not a big deal.
correct.... it is what has happened since Bill Clinton was accuses back in the 90s. Everything has been easliy dismisses by everyone..... men and women in the entertainment and political industry. Dismissed because those in power made money for the company or was too important for a political party. People would write it off.... the good out weighed the bad. Had to be that way right? Why else would men and women look the other way? Many in the feminist movement of the 90s celebrated Bill Clinton....why?
Was it part of the culture.... people just accepted it? Was it like fraternity/sorority Hazzing of the 1960-1980s? It was a dirty secret but accepted? This story isn’t close to ending.... the good news it’s being addressed.

So yes.... it should have been “easily addressed”, it was not and as you said..... it has been “easily dismissed” in the entertainment and political world for 40 years.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
correct.... it is what has happened since Bill Clinton was accuses back in the 90s. Everything has been easliy dismisses by everyone..... men and women in the entertainment and political industry. Dismissed because those in power made money for the company or was too important for a political party. People would write it off.... the good out weighed the bad. Had to be that way right? Why else would men and women look the other way? Many in the feminist movement of the 90s celebrated Bill Clinton....why?
Was it part of the culture.... people just accepted it? Was it like fraternity/sorority Hazzing of the 1960-1980s? It was a dirty secret but accepted? This story isn’t close to ending.... the good news it’s being addressed.

So yes.... it should have been “easily addressed”, it was not and as you said..... it has been “easily dismissed” in the entertainment and political world for 40 years.

It goes back much further than 40 years. Think Fatty Arbuckle, Errol Flynn.

Pixieish

If you’re wondering why no one has been willing to go on the record with their name, consider the power non-disclosure agreements have on silencing misconduct.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hollywood-nondisclosure-20171026-story.html

The sad part of this is that someone shooting for a job in which there is an NDA doesn't realize that they can require a contract themselves, and ask the employer to sign it. Sure, it's not the norm, but it makes perfect legal sense, and there's no reason why both parties cannot be protected.

just putting this on here. No judgement on any specific case but it made interesting reading.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42070575

I'm all for freedom of speech, but the mainstream media in the US is beyond out of control. They publish rumors, put a "spin" on stories, use clickbait headlines and deceptive reporting...they need to be stopped.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Did you miss the part of this where Lasseter confessed?

I'm a VERY staunch believer in innocent until proven guilty. I don't support witch hunts and don't believe the ridiculous notion that false allegations never occur. Innocent until proven guilty is a cornerstone of any rational and civilized legal system, and the thought of reversing that sends chills down my spine. If I believed in hell, false accusers would have a special place there right alongside actual rapists. Both for ruining the lives of those they falsely accused as well as making life even more miserable and difficult for actual victims.

But in this case we have a confession. It's one of those rare cases where it's possible to make a reasoned conclusion that the person is guilty prior to a trial. The only general reasons someone would lie about a confession is either due to being insane or being cornered/coerced by authority figures, neither of which applies to Lasseter.

Innocent until proven guilty applies only to criminal defense.

It does not cover the right of employers to dismiss based on misconduct or in many case - the perception of misconduct.

I'm sure there are clauses in lasseter's contract...so if he's terminated, rest assured that clause kicks in.

And I'd advise against using "false allegations" as a defense on these topics...that has been a standard defense of abusers - one notably in the press right now - for centuries and it puts too much burden on those that are usually legitimate victims.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom