Lagoon Replacement!!!

speck76

I agree that Mary Poppins would not be the best idea. MP is not fresh in people's minds. Unless they plan on doing more MP films (which would be a mistake IMO) they should focus on something that is more current, or something that has staying power.

Now, even though the early 90's films still remain popular, it seems they are beating them to death. While it owuld be cool to see a Little Mermaid section as neat as that at DisneySea, it may be a bit overkill.

They should really work on developing some attractions for new classics, and keep the park looking forward. (Although I always thought a Rescuers ride would be cool, riding on a leaf with a large dragonfly AA providing the power.

ToTBellHop

Mary Poppins not having staying power? It is one of the best movies Disney has ever produced. I am a college student and most of my 20-year old friends admit it is one of their favorites. It is CERTAINLY more popular that the largely unheard of Song of the South, which became one of the most popular Disney attractions ever, Splash Mountain.

speck76

Splash Mountain is a great case of the attraction being more popular than the ride. Look at little deeper at Splash Mt. It is a major eticket (Space MT and BTM have no character affiliation) and it is the only water ride in the MK. Also, it is the one thrill ride that is gentle enough for the little ones that are afraid of the rollercoasters.

What type of ride could really be done with MP? Another dark ride? I would think some other films lend themself better to that.

Number_6

Originally posted by JBoogie
OK...Am I missing something? Harry Potter isn't a Disney property. It belongs to WB. Harry Potter would more than likely go into a Six Flags park. I don't understand why people wants Harry Potter in MK in the middle of everything Disney.

The thinking is probably similar to when George Lucas agreed to have Indy and Star Wars at Disney. JKR has control over where something like that would go and if you had a property like HP and the options were Disney or Six Flags you would look at it this way: Disney - Takes a property and tries to do something really cool with it; Six Flags - Takes a property and makes a roller coaster. If you were her, which would you choose? I'm not saying that it is happening. I'm not saying it will never happen. I'm just giving the reasoning that I can see for it happening at Disney instead.

ToTBellHop

Mary Poppins would make a great hybrid water coaster, with the first half of the ride being on a slow moving track going from scene to scene, and then right when the rain shows up at the end of Supercalifragelisticexpialidocious, there could be a drop into the water section of the ride, including Feed the Birds and Chim-Chim Cheree and then switch back to the normal track as guests head through "Let's Go Fly a Kite" in the finale. It would be an awesome ride.

Bigg Robb

well, since where 20k was, u could argue its on the boarder of ToonTown and Fantsyland. that area when i was there, i didnt even know 20k was there(ignorance, lol) maybe they should do like a Bumper Boat thing or maybe even a start of a new themed area(wishful thinking). they have no rides in fantasy land for the 8-17 crowd except maybe Philarmagic. they should add something that is for that crowd, like a ride like Spiderman at Universal. Something with Nemo would be good, think, u could have those cars like in spiderman, ud have thrill spots like with the sharks and the wierd fish, u could have water sprayed and or splashed on people (kinda would fit the are it occupies). i dont something like that would be nice, but it would have to have a Disney Character, not Harry Potter, i thought he was in WB??

careship

Hmmm

Glad to see others like the Mary poppins idea too. I would hate to see it as some crappy baby ride though. Actually, it is an extremely popular movie and could easily have a ride for the older crowd whom I would think would flock to it just to bring back favorite memories.

I am hoping not to see something Home on the Range end up there. It wouldn't fit. It has to be a classic or fantasy.

Other thoughts....The Dark Crystal, Sword in the Stone, Great Mouse Detective or Rescuers, and my other personal favorite that I think they could just go all out with and make a wonderful e ride.....

Pete's Dragon!!!!

Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
Harry Potter is a Warner Brothers movie...he belongs at the Warner Brothers Movie World parks, formerly owned by Six Flags.

Ok, I've made the same obvious statement over and over again and I'll do it again. Indy, star wars, twilight zone, muppets: NOT DISNEY!!! Sure, disney now owns the rights to the muppets and can use them freely, but it isn't much different than owning the rights to build the harry potter ride. Both rights where aquired for the same reason, so there is no difference.

And those who are suggesting rides like marry poppins and of all things sword in the stone are just crazy. Snow white is the best example of a classic and sooooooooooo many people say it should be removed, so how are these ideas gonna stand on their own.

Granted, you don't need a box office smash to make a good ride, but not anything to base a major expansion on.

Splash mountain works because it is based on song of the south but NOT a song of the south ride.

careship

Originally posted by martinthesparta
Ok, I've made the same obvious statement over and over again and I'll do it again. Indy, star wars, twilight zone, muppets: NOT DISNEY!!! Sure, disney now owns the rights to the muppets and can use them freely, but it isn't much different than owning the rights to build the harry potter ride. Both rights where aquired for the same reason, so there is no difference.

And those who are suggesting rides like marry poppins and of all things sword in the stone are just crazy. Snow white is the best example of a classic and sooooooooooo many people say it should be removed, so how are these ideas gonna stand on their own.

Granted, you don't need a box office smash to make a good ride, but not anything to base a major expansion on.

Splash mountain works because it is based on song of the south but NOT a song of the south ride.

The ride that could be put in could be based on Mary Poppins or anything else and still have the same effect. The point is that there are real possibilities to work with they shouldn't just duplicate their shows or add meet and greet areas. That's too easy, meaning not Disneyesque. (Eisneresque maybe)

Originally posted by careship
The ride that could be put in could be based on Mary Poppins or anything else and still have the same effect. The point is that there are real possibilities to work with they shouldn't just duplicate their shows or add meet and greet areas. That's too easy, meaning not Disneyesque. (Eisneresque maybe)

I totally agree. Would much see something original then just clones all the time. And as much as I love all of those movies, most don't make effective rides(good maybe, but not effective).

On that note, rides like aladdin, jungle book, little mermaid ect would definetly work and would love to see them eventually.

And great mouse detective would probally be a good ride, but would enough people care. And in the reverse effect, a great property could be turned into a mediocre ride (Pooh)

AEfx

Originally posted by martinthesparta

People get the "obvious statement", but the fact is it doesn't really work the way you think it does in these days of corporate synergy.

Harry Potter is a WB produced film. WB already has licensing agreements with Six Flags.

These characters/themes are licensed for use in the Disney Parks. In the case of the Muppets, Disney actually owns the characters now - they can do whatever they dang well please (all Henson's family has is the right to put Kermit's face on their company logo).

You don't pick and choose - you can't have Warners produce your film and Disney do the ride - it just doesn't work that way.

You can bet your bottom dollar somewhere in the film contract that JKR had to sign is a rider for themeparks (pun intended), giving Warners exculsive rights to rides developed based on the film, and Warners ain't gonna be developing rides for Disney.

So, people get what you are saying, but in this case you just aren't correct. :)

Well, no need to be so critical. Are the chances of a MP Dark Ride very good? No, but it doesn't hurt to talk about it. As to Snow White - if it goes, I'll never return to Fantasyland. No joke. Mr. Toad was always the removed step-child in Fantasyland, based on a little-known film (most people who knew Mr. Toad knew him from the ride and nothing else). Messing with Snow White is another matter entirely - with the heat they have been getting lately from Disney purists I don't think they'd dare. But then again, these are also the people that thought it would be a good idea to take Figment out of JTI, hehe.

Splash Mountain works because it's the last truly great ride WDI added to WDW. Sure, ToT is a nice ride - but in the end it's a really, really pretty, well-themed super-deluxe carnival ride. Mission : Space is a great simulator - but it's just that - a video on a screen while you are thrown around. Test Track is fun, and a great break from the rather slow-pace of most other Epcot offerings, but it's not really a "classic".

Splash Mountain works because it's the kind of ride people want - a ride that takes them into a Fantasy. And that's all people that are suggesting things seem to be saying - we don't need another stage-show (no matter how well done), nor do we need some other carnival Dumbo-clone.

I don't think a lot of us care what they theme it around, as long as it's a kick-______ dark-ride - Pooh just didn't cut it.

AEfx

careship

Exactly

It needs something. A Dark Ride? Hey I'm up for that. I'll take a wonderful ride that is new. I think they have enough new technology to make a fantastic ride out of anything they've done honestly. I too would have a conniption fit if Snow White was gone.

What about a great movie ride type thing showcasing the great Disney films of yesterday. Or a wild ride through Pete's Dragons cave and through the Chimeny from Mary Poppins etc. They could take alot of classic favorites and blend them into an awesome ride as well.

Aladdin?? They did that with the crappy Dumbo replica. (Dumbo not crappy the replicated ride was.) Little Mermaid? They have a fabulous show based on it already in MGM. It doesn't have to be a new blockbuster to make an awesome ride or awesome addition to the Magic Kingdom. In MK it's all about the magic.

General Grizz

Here you go . . . nice area.

Pastureland/Themed Area: Lots of free space to walk around (WE NEED THIS AT THE MK!!) . . fountains and rose gardens, etc.

Gift Shops and Meet and Greets along the lagoon: bring in that crowd! Bedknobs will fill the Portabello Road area with themed music, and the Beautiful Briny Ballroom will have audio-animatronics fishes, etc. from the film as guests shop. Great surprises.

(P.S. The lagoon pictured is a new, smaller area. . . otherwise, none of this could fit!)

Jolly Holiday Ride: Signature. . . special effects, etc. . . great journey through the animated world of "Poppins"

poppins.jpg

. . .and don't forget to eat at Teas!

careship

Applause!!!!!!!

That is just awesome Grizz. We need to add some penguins in the park and a chimney sweep theme too. (Don't forget the banks ATM machine...LOL)

General Grizz

Re: Applause!!!!!!!

Originally posted by careship
That is just awesome Grizz. We need to add some penguins in the park and a chimney sweep theme too. (Don't forget the banks ATM machine...LOL)

Awesome idea. The sweeps would make great "Streetmosphere"- - or rather - - "SWEEPmosphere."

Hows about a Step in Time Live Entertainment where that London set is?? :D

careship

OOOOOOOO

Yes Step in Time with a awesome little stage show there. In fact, they could have the chimney sweeps dance number there too.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Originally posted by ISTCNavigator57
Harry Potter is a Warner Brothers movie...he belongs at the Warner Brothers Movie World parks, formerly owned by Six Flags.

If that is the case, then Indiana Jones needs his own stunt show, two thrill rides, and a coaster at the Paramount theme parks. ;)

Grizz, I love that idea. That is what the MK really needs: a new dark ride, gardens, and a restaurant. Just perfect.

Oh yeah.....and another shop. :lol:

General Grizz

Originally posted by NemoRocks78
If that is the case, then Indiana Jones needs his own stunt show, two thrill rides, and a coaster at the Paramount theme parks. ;)

Grizz, I love that idea. That is what the MK really needs: a new dark ride, gardens, and a restaurant. Just perfect.

Oh yeah.....and another shop. :lol:

You forgot to mention the best part: MEET AND GREET!

Geez! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom