Kilimanjaro Safaris After Dark - night safari

Disney Analyst

Just think of the ways they could go above and beyond in the true Disney style of yore.. At night they could offer group tours of the trails with guides every 15 minutes.... Now that would be neat.

Mawg

Animals from the lodge, stay at the lodge and same with AK park. They do not switch back and forth.
Aww, that's too bad. The animals could think of one as a home and the other as a vacation home. Do they allow the animals to at least buy into DVC so they can vacation there once a week?

peter11435

I do realize that, and am grateful for the outstanding job they do but You can train an animal all you want but they are going to work them overtime which could lead to stage laziness, illness, more disgruntled workers (animals). No new animals have been added to this thing aside from hyenas and a couple of newborns. I am not trying to sound like PETA here but the bottom line is that they are giving them longer hours at the expense of the "entertainment" factor
And if they do rotate them then the guest is going to be let down thinking that the night safari will have the same animals than when they see them in the day. I'm just glad its not the tigers, the 2 females that have been there since 04-1998, day one. They have already outlived their tiger age and if they were a part of this it would be the end of them for being so overworked...you can say they just sit there anyways but putting them on stage is more stressful to the animal than you and I think.
There have been animals added to the collection for the expanded operation besides the hyenas.

kathrynwmurphy

My family is headed down after Thanksgiving. I was just looking at the park hours to plan our ADRs and noticed that AK closes at 5 everyday. We thought it would be staying open late? After years of being at AK bright and early, we were looking forward to doing the safari at night (as well the new evening shows). Am I missing something? Is it a seasonal thing? Thank you!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My family is headed down after Thanksgiving. I was just looking at the park hours to plan our ADRs and noticed that AK closes at 5 everyday. We thought it would be staying open late? After years of being at AK bright and early, we were looking forward to doing the safari at night (as well the new evening shows). Am I missing something? Is it a seasonal thing? Thank you!
Check again closer the time.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
When Disney releases operation hours they are always provisional, and get updated 1 -2 months out. Unfortunately it makes looking at the hours early on almost pointless, except that it tends to lock in EMH days. In nearly all cases the hours are extended later.

Siren

So far, the majority of reviews I have read for the Night Safari were very good and I saw some really nice photos. If a few guests are complaining about not being able to view things in the dark than maybe Disney can provide optional night vision googles like they do at AKL.

The Tree of Life looks so gorgeous. I love all the colors and details.

I watched the video for the Jungle Book, it looked nice. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I would check it out, but there is no way I would use FP+ for it.

This is all so exciting! I can't wait to see AK at night.

UpAllNight

Well it was always looking like a stretch just looking at the attraction lineup.

Maybe if the feedback from the public is there aren't enough rides, even with Avatar, we won't have to wait another decade for a meaningful expansion.

I can spend a full day and evening at AK no problem, but the best parks demand a return to do the things you didn't manage to fit in. I think a full length day and evening at AK means you do everything on offer, incl shows and rerides, every nature trail etc. It's a great park but it's never going to get to that next level without significant expansion beyond Pandora.

FutureCEO

I wish Disney got rid of the barriers towards animals then it would be real animal kingdom :p But I wonder how big the animals can roam and are animals tagged (I think I saw some invisible fence tags)?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
So far, the majority of reviews I have read for the Night Safari were very good and I saw some really nice photos. If a few guests are complaining about not being able to view things in the dark than maybe Disney can provide optional night vision googles like they do at AKL.

The Tree of Life looks so gorgeous. I love all the colors and details.

I watched the video for the Jungle Book, it looked nice. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I would check it out, but there is no way I would use FP+ for it.

This is all so exciting! I can't wait to see AK at night.

Can you post some links to the night safari reviews, I have not been able to find any.

Mickey_777

We were able to catch the night safari yesterday at about 10 pm. I was underwhelmed as I really didn't see any difference with the regular daytime version save for the fact it was more difficult to see the same animals. Maybe some of the mammals were closer to the ride vehicle? The fake sunset is lame. I honestly felt bad we were bothering them at night. It started out fine cause with the creepiness factor of going into the wild at night with real animals but I don't see myself doing the nighttime safari again unless they improve it significantly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom