Kilimanjaro Safaris After Dark - night safari

AEfx

Animals don't just call it a day when the sun sets, most of them are even more active at night.

This is going to have some impact on them, I am sure - someone who knows more can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the animals don't actually "live" where you view them. They live off-stage, which is where they are used to going at night for food/sleep/etc.

So in order to be on display at night, presumably they are going to be putting in longer hours on the range, when they used to already be "home" and relaxing. So yeah, I can see toning down the audio a bit. Or just getting rid of it altogether...at least anything pre-recorded.

AEfx

You are correct, they don't live where we view them. There are animal barns backstage where they rest at nighttime. But I still think people are overthinking the impact this will have on animals..

It's definitely going to be a change for them, though, in any case.

But that said, I still can't get over the concept here - animals are so difficult to see on the Safari during the day, I just don't see how it's going to be any good at night unless they have spotlights on animals.

draybook

But that said, I still can't get over the concept here - animals are so difficult to see on the Safari during the day, I just don't see how it's going to be any good at night unless they have spotlights on animals.

Due to OSHA requirements, the animals will be wearing OSHA-approved neon safety vests for maximum visibility.

Bolt

This is why they did add painted dogs, hyenas and a group of wildebeest (primary nocturnal). Lions and giraffes also prefer the night atmosphere. It actually looks pretty great out there. Animals are always free to be on or off stage, too.

MagicHappens1971

Wasn't there a post a couple weeks back that said that the animals were being trained to stay out later? Plus I highly doubt that any of the animals went to sleep immediately after they were brought inside, and I'm sure Disney's been testing the nighttime safari for a while.

llrain

Don't think it's overreacting...there is/ will be a pretty big impact on the psychology of the animals who for many of them that have been around since 04-22-1998 have been living the same routine and were set in their ways are now subjected to overtime hours..don't be surprised if their daytime on stage performance seems boring to guests cause some of them will be subjected to these long entertainment gigs...if they use rotational schedules it could work but then you have gaps on stage at night or during the day..in the end their lives have been significantly changed in all of this nighttime safari deal in my opinion
You are correct, they don't live where we view them. There are animal barns backstage where they rest at nighttime. But I still think people are overthinking the impact this will have on animals..

AEfx

This is why they did add painted dogs, hyenas and a group of wildebeest (primary nocturnal). Lions and giraffes also prefer the night atmosphere. It actually looks pretty great out there. Animals are always free to be on or off stage, too.

That's good to hear. This isn't one of those things that I am against in any way - I just couldn't conceive how it would work well. Maybe I've just had bad luck - but I've always found many animals on the safari rather difficult to actually see during the day (and I have excellent eyesight, LOL). But I'll take your word for it until we can all judge for ourselves.

Don't think it's overreacting...there is/ will be a pretty big impact on the psychology of the animals who for many of them that have been around since 04-22-1998 have been living the same routine and were set in their ways are now subjected to overtime hours..don't be surprised if their daytime on stage performance seems boring to guests cause some of them will be subjected to these long entertainment gigs...if they use rotational schedules it could work but then you have gaps on stage at night or during the day..in the end their lives have been significantly changed in all of this nighttime safari deal in my opinion

Yeah, I'm far from a PETA member - and I don't think this is necessarily going to be detrimental - but it is going to have an impact on the animals. It's absolutely possible that they "enjoy" it more this new way. It's difficult to tell - but certainly any change in routine is going to cause issues at least initially. I'm sure Disney has been prepping this for a long time, though - you rarely even hear activists complain about AK, as the animals are demonstrably well-kept.

JassiSidhu2000

Not sure why some of you are sitting back in shock or wonderment how this is going to be done - there are plenty of night time 'ZOOs/Safarai Parks' all over the world.

I recently came back from Singapore, and the night time Safari there is out of this world, far bigger and more extensive (it is a stand alone attraction about the size of Animal Kingdom) then the safari attraction at Disney. Disney is essentially using the same techniques these parks have been using for many years.

DSC_0519color.JPG

It's a nice experience, certainly feels alot more 'predatory' than during the day time. They use small low level lighting so you can see the animals. Not sharp bright lighting, just very minimilistic. It's a nice effect.

Am really looking forward to this.

Disney Analyst

You do realize there are trained professional, scientists, vets... who have been working for a long time to get the animals ready for new schedules? Do you not think all this has been thought about, planned, and made safe for the animals routines and life? Because it has been.

llrain

You do realize there are trained professional, scientists, vets... who have been working for a long time to get the animals ready for new schedules? Do you not think all this has been thought about, planned, and made safe for the animals routines and life? Because it has been.

I do realize that, and am grateful for the outstanding job they do but You can train an animal all you want but they are going to work them overtime which could lead to stage laziness, illness, more disgruntled workers (animals). No new animals have been added to this thing aside from hyenas and a couple of newborns. I am not trying to sound like PETA here but the bottom line is that they are giving them longer hours at the expense of the "entertainment" factor
And if they do rotate them then the guest is going to be let down thinking that the night safari will have the same animals than when they see them in the day. I'm just glad its not the tigers, the 2 females that have been there since 04-1998, day one. They have already outlived their tiger age and if they were a part of this it would be the end of them for being so overworked...you can say they just sit there anyways but putting them on stage is more stressful to the animal than you and I think.

majortom1981

I do realize that, and am grateful for the outstanding job they do but You can train an animal all you want but they are going to work them overtime which could lead to stage laziness, illness, more disgruntled workers (animals). No new animals have been added to this thing aside from hyenas and a couple of newborns. I am not trying to sound like PETA here but the bottom line is that they are giving them longer hours at the expense of the "entertainment" factor
And if they do rotate them then the guest is going to be let down thinking that the night safari will have the same animals than when they see them in the day. I'm just glad its not the tigers, the 2 females that have been there since 04-1998, day one. They have already outlived their tiger age and if they were a part of this it would be the end of them for being so overworked...you can say they just sit there anyways but putting them on stage is more stressful to the animal than you and I think.

You do realize they essentially do this at akl. I am pretty sure they have the experience with this since they do it at the lodge. heck animals get rotated back and forth between the two all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom