Kilimanjaro Safaris After Dark - night safari

majortom1981

I am talking more about theming to the sunset safari an simulating the sun setting over the horizon and not just putting lights out on the safari to light the animals. AKL is light on the building lighting some areas.

Maybe there will not be any theming to the lights. IDK

If you take a tour of all they specifically state the lights at akl are set to not disturb the animals. It's not just light on the savanah.

Jon81uk

It would be nice if WDW would update the park hours for AK. Currently, it says that the park closes at 5:00pm for most of the summer.

See here http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-disneys-animal-kingdom-now-available.912412/

Hours have been updated to the 2nd July.

Current rumour is they are trying to get Rivers of Light ready for the 4th July so I would expect some announcement in late May or early June as to whether they can get it going and then the hours change. But my guess if they don't get RoL ready then the Jungle Book show will continue instead.

mp2bill

I don't know...maybe it looks different in person, but I'm not impressed by the lighting. It basically just looks like spotlighting where one side of the animals/trees/rocks/etc is well lit and the other side is in total darkness. The best example of what I expected was at the end of the video with the lions.

I was a bit skeptical of this when they announced it because light at dusk is refracted and reflected from all different angles and is a pretty even light, but I figured, "It's Disney. They can do everything!" I'm still hopeful it'll look better in person.

Kman101

I'll be that guy ;) I'm a little sad that my pass expires soon and this stuff didn't debut April 22. Dang. I'm so excited to go on the night safari. Ugh. Oh well. I think I actually may justify it again just for Animal Kingdom, TBH (the florida resident weekday pass isn't that bad of a deal now that it will include parking). I really do love that park and can spend hours there not even riding anything or seeing any shows. Not that any pass I get I would use in the summer anyway ... but so close yet so far :/

It's going to be a bit surreal to be on it at night. Can't wait!

twebber55

I'll be that guy ;) I'm a little sad that my pass expires soon and this stuff didn't debut April 22. Dang. I'm so excited to go on the night safari. Ugh. Oh well. I think I actually may justify it again just for Animal Kingdom, TBH (the florida resident weekday pass isn't that bad of a deal now that it will include parking). I really do love that park and can spend hours there not even riding anything or seeing any shows. Not that any pass I get I would use in the summer anyway ... but so close yet so far :/

It's going to be a bit surreal to be on it at night. Can't wait!
yeah the video looks great
i know its not a new ride but it certainly is a new experience

natatomic

I don't know...maybe it looks different in person, but I'm not impressed by the lighting. It basically just looks like spotlighting where one side of the animals/trees/rocks/etc is well lit and the other side is in total darkness. The best example of what I expected was at the end of the video with the lions.

I was a bit skeptical of this when they announced it because light at dusk is refracted and reflected from all different angles and is a pretty even light, but I figured, "It's Disney. They can do everything!" I'm still hopeful it'll look better in person.

Someone I know got to ride this and he said that the lighting WAS very "spotty." There were long patches of complete darkness - basically, anywhere there wasn't an animal. Maybe that will change before it opens to the public if it was common feedback during the media event.

Also, he said that there were a couple of spots where they deviated from the usual route during the day Safari. Didn't say if that made the ride longer or shorter. It just went a different route.

raymusiccity

Someone I know got to ride this and he said that the lighting WAS very "spotty." There were long patches of complete darkness - basically, anywhere there wasn't an animal. Maybe that will change before it opens to the public if it was common feedback during the media event.

Also, he said that there were a couple of spots where they deviated from the usual route during the day Safari. Didn't say if that made the ride longer or shorter. It just went a different route.

Perfectly understandable that there were patches of darkness. During the day, there are transitions to different areas that wouldn't benefit from being lit up at night. It is a night safari, so some dark areas only lend themselves to the feeling of exploring the Serengeti :)

natatomic

Perfectly understandable that there were patches of darkness. During the day, there are transitions to different areas that wouldn't benefit from being lit up at night. It is a night safari, so some dark areas only lend themselves to the feeling of exploring the Serengeti :)

True. I didn't get to ride it, so I only got to hear his interpretation of the experience. I can imagine it could be a "love it or hate it" thing with guests. Some will love the mysterious feel of all the near pitch-black patches. Some will possibly feel like the ride is lacking with nothing to look at in between animals (even if it's something as simple a bunch of foliage, as it is during the day). Until I get to experience it myself, I have no idea how I'll feel about it. :)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So are the lions out for the nighttime safari? I sure hope the barrier meets AZA standards. Because nothing would unnerve me more than riding by the pen of one of the largest nocturnal predators on the savannah and wondering if one of the lionesses could make that leap....

AEfx

Every time I hear more about this I just think, "Really?"

It's difficult enough to see many of the animals during the day very well. I can't imagine how this is going to work whatsoever.

djkidkaz

Does anyone know what type of spiel the drivers will be doing? The same spiel or an evening spiel? Will the volume of the speakers in each car be lowered as to not disturb the animals as much?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom