Kilimanjaro Safaris After Dark - night safari

Nmoody1

We haven't heard a definitive answer as to how long it would take them to fix the Yeti. However, I'm guessing the refurb won't be the next day after Avatar opens. Crowds in the park will increase and they'll need the capacity away from Avatar if possible. I'm guessing that the land will have to be open for 6 months before things settle down a bit and they can take stuff offline. Kali typically closes in January/February each year and I doubt they'd want Everest and Kali refurbs to overlap.

Six month refurbs have a funny way of turning into 3 1/2 month refurbs so I'll assume three and a half months is the time frame. That tells me that August of 2017 is probably the earliest we would see Everest close for refurb.

by which point they'll be like 'it hasnt worked forever, why fix it now?!

Brian Swan

Aside from Pandora, the Tree of Life and the Nighttime show, are the night safaris the only other nighttime attraction being offered? Or will other areas remain open? Also, does this park have lights throughout the entire park currently? Or is that a part of the overall electrical upgrades package?

The park is fully lit at night, and is quite beautiful. All sections of the park are open and all of the rides/shows run (not sure about KRR; I mostly try to ignore that it's there). EE after dark is very cool. Some of the animal exhibits close at dusk.

I've heard a lot about the night safari, but few details. Would it be done with NVGs, or with truck-mounted spotlights?

Brian Swan

That's true. Didn't think about it like that
It all depends on how the payscale is sturctured. If the performers are paid "X" dollars per show vice an hourly wage (NOT an uncommon practice in the entertainment industry), then it would not alter the cost. Many years ago I had a good friend who worked live entertainment at BGW, and that is how he was paid.

flyerjab

The one thing about this full day park concept that has me concerned are the animal walking paths in Africa and Asia. I love the animal component of this park, and I have repeatedly (in several threads) argued that the walking trails and oasis areas are attractions in themselves and should be included in the overall number of attractions in DAK. I know that there is a subset of fans that are disappointed in the number of rides at this park, but I have always stated that the walking paths should count as at least D-ticket attractions due to their complexity and upkeep.

If these go dark at night and are not usable, then I agree with other people that this park will still need more to do at night. You will be losing two large, time-consuming attractions if they become unavailable after a certain time of day. I know that we will be getting night safaris and the RoL show, but they should probably add at least 2 other rides aside from the Pandora expansion to appease the masses. I know that Joe Rohde is very particular about the type of rides that go into this park, but I still think that a Lion King ride or a Jungle Book ride would be more than appropriate for this park.

Next Big Thing

The one thing about this full day park concept that has me concerned are the animal walking paths in Africa and Asia. I love the animal component of this park, and I have repeatedly (in several threads) argued that the walking trails and oasis areas are attractions in themselves and should be included in the overall number of attractions in DAK. I know that there is a subset of fans that are disappointed in the number of rides at this park, but I have always stated that the walking paths should count as at least D-ticket attractions due to their complexity and upkeep.

If these go dark at night and are not usable, then I agree with other people that this park will still need more to do at night. You will be losing two large, time-consuming attractions if they become unavailable after a certain time of day. I know that we will be getting night safaris and the RoL show, but they should probably add at least 2 other rides aside from the Pandora expansion to appease the masses. I know that Joe Rohde is very particular about the type of rides that go into this park, but I still think that a Lion King ride or a Jungle Book ride would be more than appropriate for this park.
Or something like Mystic Manor

chiefs11

I know that last year tikiman made the claim that the yeti was being repaired within this calendar year. Although I was hopeful, I did not believe that, and not because I thought that tikiman was an unreliable person. Rather, I always thought that it made logistical sense to repair it after the new Pandora expansion was online and running. Shutting down that ride for that long of a repair in my opinion would put a dent in this park's annual attendance. Doing it after a major expansion was opened to the public, especially one that has its own E-ticket attraction (as well as a boat ride and other immersive experiences), seemed to make the most sense to me.

I would be amazed if anything was done to improve the Kali attraction. That is something that I never even heard a bad rumor about in the past.
Pretty sure it's been stated many times by people that would know: Fixing the Yeti would not require an extended refurb. Granted, they could always fix him during an extended refurbishment if they wanted to, but I'm pretty sure it isn't required.

JoeCamel

Lighting is going up around the savannah, a new animal barn can be seen as you enter the savannah which I'm sure will be covered up eventually and the rock work is coming along nicely at the hyena exhibit.

The light posts are made to look like palm trees. And they fit in very well in most of the areas.

Maybe they could tell the MK crew about themeing the light poles as trees?

DABIGCHEEZ

Curious if it was ever mentioned... are they going to have 2 "sets" of hoof-stocked animals that they will rotate on and off view for the daytime and night safaris? If it is the same animals that are on view from 9 am -11PM??, that seems like it will be stressful for them and cause them to remain hidden out of view for much of the nighttime. They need to have a time of rest and no stress or their overall health will be affected.

djkidkaz

Curious if it was ever mentioned... are they going to have 2 "sets" of hoof-stocked animals that they will rotate on and off view for the daytime and night safaris? If it is the same animals that are on view from 9 am -11PM??, that seems like it will be stressful for them and cause them to remain hidden out of view for much of the nighttime. They need to have a time of rest and no stress or their overall health will be affected.

Some of the animals stay out all night already and some other animals are being brought in for rotation purposes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom