Kilimanjaro Safaris After Dark - night safari

andysol

I'm sure there is, but is the habitat going to be shared by the wild dogs and hyenas together? I would think just the two species together would be a bad idea.

w9A680w.jpg

djkidkaz

I'm sure there is, but is the habitat going to be shared by the wild dogs and hyenas together? I would think just the two species together would be a bad idea.

I was thinking they would rotate them out. One species here for daytime, one for night.

Marlins1

Does anyone have information about the expected start date for night time safaris other than 2016? I was hoping it would open with Rivers of Light but it seems to be further from completion than that.

djkidkaz

Does anyone have information about the expected start date for night time safaris other than 2016? I was hoping it would open with Rivers of Light but it seems to be further from completion than that.

I know that a lot of the new lighting is in place as well as the new habitat being completed as mentioned above. Not sure there is much more that needs to be done.

RSoxNo1

I asked what the status of the African Wild dogs was, and they said they would be appearing later this year. They would also share the exhibit space with the Hyenas, just appearing at different times. If they're throwing out the "later this year" time frame, I wouldn't be surprised to see nighttime safaris kick off shortly there after. At the very least I would think nighttime safaris would be going on around the time Rivers of Light is expected to launch (late March/early April).

Marlins1

I asked what the status of the African Wild dogs was, and they said they would be appearing later this year. They would also share the exhibit space with the Hyenas, just appearing at different times. If they're throwing out the "later this year" time frame, I wouldn't be surprised to see nighttime safaris kick off shortly there after. At the very least I would think nighttime safaris would be going on around the time Rivers of Light is expected to launch (late March/early April).
Thanks - hope you are right, that would be great!

drew81

Awesome news!

flyerjab

Asia needs an entirely new attraction devoted to animals. I'd love to see Snow Leopards, Asian Elephants, Giant Pandas, Black Bears, Red Pandas and Orangutans

I completely agree. I think that with this park, attractions and animals need to be added in equal amounts. I see that the hyenas are on show now in their new home and I read that the wild dogs will be sharing that space in some manner.

Imagine the draw that a Panda display would have for Asia.

flyerjab

I actually think Disney would love Pandas in the park. They are just extremely hard to get.

Pandas are incredibly rare at any zoo. As of 2013, there were only 12 Pandas in the country held in captivity.

It would definitely be a 'get' by Disney if they were able to obtain some for DAK. I bet that would actually be quite the draw, if only for the fact that you just pointed out.

prberk

I would actually have loved to have seen AK have been built with or expanded to include a farm section, with a working dairy and maybe various animals you might find on a farm or ranch, to include horses. They could have easily had this transition into a stylized county fair section with classic turn-of-the century style midway rides (much better theming than Hester and Jester), with a country barbeque restaurant with a "barn dance" show and maybe a real live rodeo. It would have been a perfect place also have a "farmer's market" featuring fresh fruits and vegetables to eat.

RSoxNo1

I completely agree. I think that with this park, attractions and animals need to be added in equal amounts. I see that the hyenas are on show now in their new home and I read that the wild dogs will be sharing that space in some manner.

Imagine the draw that a Panda display would have for Asia.

I actually think Disney would love Pandas in the park. They are just extremely hard to get.

Pandas are incredibly rare at any zoo. As of 2013, there were only 12 Pandas in the country held in captivity.
I pointedly asked Joe Rohde about Pandas at the D23 Expo in 2013 and he gave me an answer that tells me it probably won't be happening. Basically, they're rarely given to "for profit" institutions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom