Kilimanjaro Safaris After Dark - night safari

Macca250

It'll still need a full days of things to do though. Hours don't equal full day.
I think DAK gets a bad reputation for the lack of things to do currently and I would be inclined to agree with you. BUT it's (arguably) going to be getting more variety and choice than the other parks, certainly when compared to DHS and maybe even EPCOT (unless you'd visit every country)- once Avatar is open, nighttime show, plus all the animal exhibits, all the shows and the current selection of decent attractions (personally Everest and Dinosaur are favourites for me, sadly even with their poor upkeep). I think the park will be more than justified in staying open until late; certainly more so than the studios. I think you'd have quite the packed day if you were to attempt to do and see everything- the animal exhibits alone take some time if you do them properly. I'm quite excited for the new stuff, and completely agree it looks awesome at night:)

Nextinline

I'm happy to see Disney investing in the untapped potential of AK. The park looks amazing at night, & if the concept art for Rivers of Light is any indication (looks a lot like the concept art for World of Color) it could be the best show at WDW.

doctornick

It'll still need a full days of things to do though. Hours don't equal full day.

Agreed. I'd still like to see some sort of large scale daytime entertainment -- if not a new regular parade, then maybe a "parade" of floats in the water. And the park needs more rides, in addition to the ones coming with Pandora. Adding in a few C-tickets would make a big difference in filling out the park.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like we are getting more than Rivers of Light/Pandora/night safaris. Which is a very good start, but not enough IMHO

Rob562

Everest will remain open as long as the park is open, and I'm sure they'll continue to play Tough to be a Bug, but likely not too many of the live shows (due to labor costs). Dinosarland can open at night as well.

A few years ago, my wife and I were able to visit DAK during one of the last EMH's. It was incredible. I have no desire to visit the park during the day, which is one of the reasons we haven't been to DAK during our past several trips. But once it begins opening at night, it will absolutely be in our plans again.

Much like the other 3 parks, it's a completely different place at night. The lighting is low, which creates an awesome atmosphere. During that EMH, we walked around the entire park. Most of the park was empty, especially around Africa, and it was quite peaceful.

I'm looking forward to the opening of Pandora and the rest of the nighttime offerings.

I am greatly looking forward to my visit in November. They extended closing to 7pm the day we'd already planned on going to the park, and the DST clock change moves sunset to about 5:40 that day. Then we have a late ADR at Yak & Yeti which will allow us to walk out through an empty park at nighttime.

-Rob

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I totally knew about this a year ago! :) Posted it somewhere. Stoked it's finally starting.

We all did, it was announced in Oct of 2013.

Will it be available for non AKL residents though?

Yes, this night safari will be for all guests.

Will they use some kind of Night Vision on the Safari rather than using lights? I would think lights would be very disruptive to the animals at night.

Since this permit is for electrical I would assume new lighting is at least part of the plan.

djkidkaz

Will they use some kind of Night Vision on the Safari rather than using lights? I would think lights would be very disruptive to the animals at night.

I am assuming we may see something similar to the way they light the savannah at AKL in the evening. It has a moonlight effect which works really well and wouldn't disrupt natural behaviors of the animals.

I assume most if not all other things will stay open later. My understanding from what other people have said is that AK actually looks very nice at night.

I would compare it to World Showcase at night. It is very dimly lit in the evening.

Agree. As the night comes on your going to lose things like the gorilla and tiger walking paths, unless they decide to add lighting to these as well? And does anyone know if Kali used to stay open for evening EMH?

YodaMan

Agree. As the night comes on your going to lose things like the gorilla and tiger walking paths, unless they decide to add lighting to these as well? And does anyone know if Kali used to stay open for evening EMH?

Kali closes when it is too cold so I'm not sure how that would work in the late fall/winter. But right now it does not have the lighting it needs for evenings. Just rode it recently in the evening and they had to have the evac lights on. Didn't look bad, but I assume they'd need better lighting to be open regularly at night.

chiefs11

We were there for the Expedition Everest 5k and they had the park open until 2am. (well, Asia and Dinoland, anyway) Kali and Everest were both operating. The park looks really nice at night.

Kevin_W

We've seen the park twice "at night". Once in January 2013 with an 8PM close and a 6PM sunset, and once in December 2011 with a Tusker House ADR after park closing - the park really is beautiful after dark.

We're ones that happily spend a day (or more) in AK. On our last trip, we ran out of time to get to Rafiki's or even see the Nemo show.

jt04

We've seen the park twice "at night". Once in January 2013 with an 8PM close and a 6PM sunset, and once in December 2011 with a Tusker House ADR after park closing - the park really is beautiful after dark.

We're ones that happily spend a day (or more) in AK. On our last trip, we ran out of time to get to Rafiki's or even see the Nemo show.

Same here. It is easy to fill an entire day there without repeating anything. Imagine in a few years you won't be able to complete the park in less than 2 days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom