Kilimanjaro Safaris After Dark - night safari

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The park at night looks great. This is a way overdo addition. The safari is going to turn into a must ride twice attraction. Once during the day and once at night. With the Night Safari, show and Avatarland there will be plenty to do to fill a day. The theme park commandos will still not be happy as they run from ride to ride largely ignoring the beauty and detail of the park and skipping most of the smaller exhibits and some of the shows. They will still be done by 2PM. Can't please everyone.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned is any additional dining. Specifically table service for dinner. It may not be a bad idea to find a permanent location for the equivalent of the Hambre Nights buffet dinner.

Disney Analyst

We all did, it was announced in Oct of 2013.

Yes, this night safari will be for all guests.

Since this permit is for electrical I would assume new lighting is at least part of the plan.

I mean.. I found it in August. but yes, it went public then.

And no, they are developing a lighting system. They want it to seem naturally moon lit, but also have things visible for riders. My friend is working on the lighting, and they are working at creating lighting and placing lighting so animals will not mess with them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I mean.. I found it in August. but yes, it went public then.

And no, they are developing a lighting system. They want it to seem naturally moon lit, but also have things visible for riders. My friend is working on the lighting, and they are working at creating lighting and placing lighting so animals will not mess with them.
By "animals" do you mean the actual wild animals or tour groups? I think you have more of a risk with the latter;)

flyerjab

The park at night looks great. This is a way overdo addition. The safari is going to turn into a must ride twice attraction. Once during the day and once at night. With the Night Safari, show and Avatarland there will be plenty to do to fill a day. The theme park commandos will still not be happy as they run from ride to ride largely ignoring the beauty and detail of the park and skipping most of the smaller exhibits and some of the shows. They will still be done by 2PM. Can't please everyone.

One thing I haven't heard mentioned is any additional dining. Specifically table service for dinner. It may not be a bad idea to find a permanent location for the equivalent of the Hambre Nights buffet dinner.

I agree that you can't please everyone (realistically ;)). I also agree that this will become a full day experience for those that truly enjoy soaking in every nuance of this park. My family spends several hours on the animal exhibits alone as they are extremely well done and have a lot of small, interactive elements to them. Both animal walking paths in Africa and Asia are exceptional. This is the part of WDW that has picked up in terms of edutainment ever since EPCOT has lost is direction. My kids (and I have to admit their parents also :)) love looking at the maps, journals, observation notes, etc., that go all through the animal walking paths. You really can learn a lot at this park while also having fun doing it. I have always viewed the Pangani and Maharrajah paths as E-Ticket level experiences due to the planning and maintaining of the animals and their environments, keeping them realistic looking while also making the animals easily viewable. That is probably so difficult to design and maintain year-in and year-out.

Concerning food, I guess one can semi-safely assume that there will be some type of meal options with the Avatar expansion. Was it not discussed last year at some point that there would be the potential for a dining experience similar to that of BOG in NFL? I think someone brought up the idea that it would be a good idea to have a facility that was large scale QS during lunch and then transformed into a TS at night for dinner. Of course that was probably just conjecture, but a cool idea nonetheless.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree that you can't please everyone (realistically ;)). I also agree that this will become a full day experience for those that truly enjoy soaking in every nuance of this park. My family spends several hours on the animal exhibits alone as they are extremely well done and have a lot of small, interactive elements to them. Both animal walking paths in Africa and Asia are exceptional. This is the part of WDW that has picked up in terms of edutainment ever since EPCOT has lost is direction. My kids (and I have to admit their parents also :)) love looking at the maps, journals, observation notes, etc., that go all through the animal walking paths. You really can learn a lot at this park while also having fun doing it. I have always viewed the Pangani and Maharrajah paths as E-Ticket level experiences due to the planning and maintaining of the animals and their environments, keeping them realistic looking while also making the animals easily viewable. That is probably so difficult to design and maintain year-in and year-out.

Concerning food, I guess one can semi-safely assume that there will be some type of meal options with the Avatar expansion. Was it not discussed last year at some point that there would be the potential for a dining experience similar to that of BOG in NFL? I think someone brought up the idea that it would be a good idea to have a facility that was large scale QS during lunch and then transformed into a TS at night for dinner. Of course that was probably just conjecture, but a cool idea nonetheless.
I also have heard Avatar will have at least 1 dining location. It could be pretty large in scale which would absorb a lot of guests for dinner. Turning it over to table service at night for dinner makes a lot of sense. When you combine Yak and Yeti, RFC, Tusker House and a new Avatar restaurant that would be a decent variety. I'd still like to see a potential outdoor or partially outdoor dining experience that could take advantage of the nighttime lighting and ambiance. The were rumors of some sort of street party type entertainment as well as the River Show when they released the concept art. Maybe incorporate food into the street party similar to Hambre Nights.

RSoxNo1

Not sure how I missed the original post over on JamboEveryone.com is reporting that three spotted hyenas are currently being quarantined at the Animal Kingdom and will be put on stage as part of the nighttime safaris.

Original post from August: http://www.jamboeveryone.com/2014/08/disney-to-right-twenty-year-wrong.html
Tweet tonight mentioning that they're on site: https://twitter.com/JamboEveryone/status/543610966924341249

For credibility, he was months ahead of everyone on the Africa Marketplace information.

Mike S

Not sure how I missed the original post over on JamboEveryone.com is reporting that three spotted hyenas are currently being quarantined at the Animal Kingdom and will be put on stage as part of the nighttime safaris.

Original post from August: http://www.jamboeveryone.com/2014/08/disney-to-right-twenty-year-wrong.html
Tweet tonight mentioning that they're on site: https://twitter.com/JamboEveryone/status/543610966924341249

For credibility, he was months ahead of everyone on the Africa Marketplace information.
Shenzi, Banzai, and Ed? Cool.

Last edited:

YodaMan

Don't know if they're still around, but a few months ago someone had posted photos on Instagram of hyenas in quarantine. Would make sense.

drew81

I hope they get Wild Dogs as well.

Progress.City

I remember when Avatar was announced and @Tim_4 used to post stuff on this site about the project, he used to report that this upgrade to the park was simply not just an Avatar expansion. He used to hint at other things of a smaller scale occurring throughout the entire park. I remember him mentioning lighting upgrades and other 'soft' additions that were going to really round out this park.

I haven't noticed that he posts anymore so I didn't know if he was banned or was summarily brow beat into submission.
Thanks for noticing that! It seems too many good posters are "brow beat into submission" and disappear. I wish there was a policy here to help prevent that, but I don't know what could work...

drew81

My theory is they could use the mandrill exhibit for the hyenas at night. They will obviously need a moated/fenced yard. The mandrills wouldn't be out at night and since they all go in to their holding they could swap out the species.

ToTBellHop

My theory is they could use the mandrill exhibit for the hyenas at night. They will obviously need a moated/fenced yard. The mandrills wouldn't be out at night and since they all go in to their holding they could swap out the species.
Can you imagine the one night they only bring three of the hyenas back in before sending the mandrills back out? Eek!

Cody5294

Everest will remain open as long as the park is open, and I'm sure they'll continue to play Tough to be a Bug, but likely not too many of the live shows (due to labor costs). Dinosarland can open at night as well.

A few years ago, my wife and I were able to visit DAK during one of the last EMH's. It was incredible. I have no desire to visit the park during the day, which is one of the reasons we haven't been to DAK during our past several trips. But once it begins opening at night, it will absolutely be in our plans again.

Much like the other 3 parks, it's a completely different place at night. The lighting is low, which creates an awesome atmosphere. During that EMH, we walked around the entire park. Most of the park was empty, especially around Africa, and it was quite peaceful.

I'm looking forward to the opening of Pandora and the rest of the nighttime offerings.
I'm sure they can run Lion King at night. They can just spread the times out more

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom