Kilimanjaro Safaris After Dark - night safari

Rob562

Wouldn't they just use the actual moon?

From the post earlier: "Strategically placed lighting evoking both the setting sun and rising moon, plus side-sweeping headlamps attached to your safari vehicle, ensure you won’t miss a moment."

The moon isn't always out or full. Though I guess that does open the possibility of two moons when the real moon *is* out at night... With the sun they just have to wait until the actual sun is setting to start using the new screens. The moon gets more complicated.

-Rob

Rteetz

From the post earlier: "Strategically placed lighting evoking both the setting sun and rising moon, plus side-sweeping headlamps attached to your safari vehicle, ensure you won’t miss a moment."

The moon isn't always out or full. Though I guess that does open the possibility of two moons when the real moon *is* out at night... With the sun they just have to wait until the actual sun is setting to start using the new screens. The moon gets more complicated.

-Rob
That's why I was thinking they would just use the actual moon because having two moons would just be weird but whatever I guess.

Rob562

I think they'll just be using cool-colored hidden lights to evoke the moonlight.

After my post I thought about it more and realized that's probably what they'll go for with "moonlight". That's how they describe the night lighting on the savannas at AKL... (Though the roof-mounted lights are obviously not trying to recreate the moon like the video screens apparently are with the sun...)

-Rob

djkidkaz

Anyone know what ride path will be altered for the evening safari? I've never seen anything but backstage routes off the regular path.

DisneyRoy

Anyone know what ride path will be altered for the evening safari? I've never seen anything but backstage routes off the regular path.

I don't think the plans are to change the ride path. That will stay the same. They're just adding some big screens in the back stage area to simulate the sunset or moonlight.

peter11435

I don't think the plans are to change the ride path. That will stay the same. They're just adding some big screens in the back stage area to simulate the sunset or moonlight.
I'm pretty sure the plan is for the ride path to be shortened during the night time operating hours.

Rob562

Where do they shorten it though? I haven't seen any added paths onstage.

They could conceivably cut from after the loop around the first section of the savannah, up over to the flamingo pond using the existing semi-on-stage road (isn't this where the Africa Trek jeeps go to get to the rest point?) Doing that would cut out the loop around past the elephants and over the collapsing bridge.

-Rob

YodaMan

Um, remember how they built a road out of nowhere a few months back that cuts through the savannah? I'm gonna bet they use that one.

djkidkaz

They could conceivably cut from after the loop around the first section of the savannah, up over to the flamingo pond using the existing semi-on-stage road (isn't this where the Africa Trek jeeps go to get to the rest point?) Doing that would cut out the loop around past the elephants and over the collapsing bridge.

-Rob

But there is already visible night lighting equipment in the elephant area leading us to believe that you will drive past there.

WDW_Emily

Oh really? You must not have heard about the animals backstage that freaked out over the MJJP music years ago.
Sometimes you cannot predict how animals will act. For example, the Gorillas hate when large groups of people rush to the glass and bang on it or make monkey noises and multiple times I have seen the male in the family stand up or tap the glass because he is upset. Some of this is animal instinct.

With that being said I will say I had a similar concern. Some animals like the American Crocodiles already live on safari so no big deal. But I was surprised to see animals such as elephants when the elephants schedule is very strick as they have a lot of work to do with those animals every night and feeding is done at night. I might have missed it but are giraffes out at night too? Because they are another animal that is ready to go in at 5pm.

And DAK lodge does not have the same animals out all the time. They put out most animals in the morning and night, when most people are at the hotel. During the day there is a smaller portion of animals on stage. They get called in by groups during the day for wellness checks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom