Kevin Yee- Airing of Grievances

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wouldn't even consider going to WDW at this time. I've waited twenty years, I can stand to wait some more. I definitely don't want a bad first impression of the place, and if I were to go now, knowing everything that's going on, that wouldn't be fair at all and I'd be setting myself up for disappointment.

The WDW issues being discussed around these parts are sadly very much real. IMHO there are some real tangible issues that detract from the overall experience on occasion, but WDW is still a great place to visit overall. It may not be up to the standards it set for itself in the past, but it's still top notch. Despite the issues I would still encourage you to give it a try. You only live once and who knows what the future will bring. If you visit now you can always go back again in the future when things improve too. Plus, there is no guarantee that WDW will ever return to its former glory.:(

Jimmy Thick

LOL!!!

People are actually posting they are not going to the parks by what doom and gloomers post on the internet?

This is hiliarious!!!

Jimmy Thick- Lord, I can't believe I have actually missed this!!!

Californian Elitist

LOL!!!

People are actually posting they are not going to the parks by what doom and gloomers post on the internet?

This is hiliarious!!!

Jimmy Thick- Lord, I can't believe I have actually missed this!!!

No, I'm not going because of what people are saying AND pictures of proof. Pictures don't lie. The place looks like a hot mess.

Californian Elitist

The WDW issues being discussed around these parts are sadly very much real. IMHO there are some real tangible issues that detract from the overall experience on occasion, but WDW is still a great place to visit overall. It may not be up to the standards it set for itself in the past, but it's still top notch. Despite the issues I would still encourage you to give it a try. You only live once and who knows what the future will bring. If you visit now you can always go back again in the future when things improve too. Plus, there is no guarantee that WDW will ever return to its former glory.:(

I just can't do it. It wouldn't be fair. That's like inviting someone to your filthy house for the first time.

MerlinTheGoat

No, I'm not going because of what people are saying AND pictures of proof. Pictures don't lie. The place looks like a hot mess.
It is. And I personally am not going because i've witnessed the mess first hand (it has quite clearly gotten far worse from when I visited back in February too). I knew it was like that before I ever even read any of the people complaining about it on these forums. I'll be back if this new management thing works out that Lee has said numerous times (I wait in heavy anticipation of that).

Californian Elitist

It is. And I personally am not going because i've witnessed the mess first hand (it has quite clearly gotten far worse from when I visited back in February too). I knew it was like that before I ever even read any of the people complaining about it on these forums. I'll be back if this new management thing works out that Lee has said numerous times (I wait in heavy anticipation of that).

I really do hope a new, great management team comes soon.

fngoofy

OMG, p!55 and moan.

The 7 day pass has gone up by $10/day over four years...$290 for seven days of fun is still a deal in my book.

The parks aren't open until 12am or 1am in the the summer anymore! Yes, I remember those days, but my parents don't, because after a full day they where back in bed, because only someone between the ages of 14 and 24 can handle night after night of 6am to 2am hard core fun.
LOOK, Disney does studies, and if people where there and spending money they would stay open 24x7. They are also masters of crowd movement, and the EMH are obviously working for them. Get out early and you can do anything you want (even at 9am) people don't fill up the parks until 11am.

FP+!!! I am so tired of people bemoaning this. If it gives you more planning flexibility and better crowd distribution it is a good thing.
I swear, people look at PRE FP like it was the golden age of the 50s, Elvis was thin, the kids had short hair, and all was lollypops and candy drops.
You know what it was like on a busy day pre FP? A pain in the rear. You like Splash? How much do you like it with a 90 minute wait?

Bottom line, Disney has never been cheap. A week at the Contemporary in 1977 was $1000 for just the hotel (if memory servers me.)
Adjusted for inflation I think we are doing pretty good today. Also today, you have other on-site options that are more affordable with the Disney magic and attention to detail. We where just at POR in Oct and the whole resort has been refurbished and is as fresh as new, something I don't think gets enough attention is the quality levels that remain high at the resorts.

Now I will agree that maintenance at Splash could be a bit better, and that some creative decisions like the mermaids are not exactly 9 old men worthy. BUT HM looks great, the TT refurb looks great, Soarin still gets applauds even though they need a digital projector, so all is not perfect, but it is fun. An you know what, back in the day there was no Instanet, and you didn't know about a leaky lift hill or a non jumping rabbit or a flipping new restroom. You went and you liked it, and if you didn't you didn't go back.

We are looking forward to our next trip, if you aren't I am sorry, but the bright side is there'll be an extra FP+ for me.
Cheers.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Now I will agree that maintenance at Splash could be a bit better, and that some creative decisions like the mermaids are not exactly 9 old men worthy. BUT HM looks great, the TT refurb looks great, Soarin still gets applauds even though they need a digital projector, so all is not perfect, but it is fun

Soarin' doesn't need digital projection - it needs to be maintained regularly like it should have been. So instead it looks crappy and people say 'well, its good enough..'
TT is Opened - yet still incomplete
what does that remind you of? Oh yeah.. BTMRR
HM.. moments of greatness lost in meagerness
Splash.. maintanence 'could be a bit better'? Ehh.. when entire show scenes are down... significant effects don't work for weeks to months on end.. and we have to install tarps to protect guests from falling debris.. we say 'could be better'?

Your attitude is basically 'its good enough..' and that type of lackadaisical attitude towards it is what allows the behavior to continue and expand.
An you know what, back in the day there was no Instanet, and you didn't know about a leaky lift hill or a non jumping rabbit or a flipping new restroom. You went and you liked it, and if you didn't you didn't go back.

You would still notice things ( we don't need the Instanet to know how it was last time..) and some of us aren't going back. My anniversary is being celebrated in Anaheim, not Orlando. And I've been fending off my mother's desire to goto WDW for 18m now.. trying to convince them to invest in flying out west instead.

ParentsOf4

The 7 day pass has gone up by $10/day over four years...$290 for seven days of fun is still a deal in my book.
The 7-day base MYW ticket was $267 in 2011 (without tax) and $288 in 2012, an increase of 7.9% in one year.

The same ticket was $228 in 2008, an increase of 26.3% over 4 years.

Perhaps your pay has increased by similar amounts over these periods but most people haven't been as fortunate. For most people, WDW becomes less affordable every year.

For some further perspective, a 6-day hopper pass with no expiration was $60 (including tax) in 1982 or the equivalent of $143.14 in 2012. Again, this ticket included the hopper and no expiration options. The same ticket today costs $532.50 with tax.

I guess we shouldn't complain though. We all know that quality and maintenance has improved tremendously since 1982.:rolleyes:

However, I do miss the days when I could afford a WDW vacation on a college student's pay.

Jimmy Thick

OMG, p!55 and moan.

The parks aren't open until 12am or 1am in the the summer anymore! Yes, I remember those days, but my parents don't, because after a full day they where back in bed, because only someone between the ages of 14 and 24 can handle night after night of 6am to 2am hard core fun.
LOOK, Disney does studies, and if people where there and spending money they would stay open 24x7. They are also masters of crowd movement, and the EMH are obviously working for them. Get out early and you can do anything you want (even at 9am) people don't fill up the parks until 11am.

FP+!!! I am so tired of people bemoaning this. If it gives you more planning flexibility and better crowd distribution it is a good thing.
I swear, people look at PRE FP like it was the golden age of the 50s, Elvis was thin, the kids had short hair, and all was lollypops and candy drops.
You know what it was like on a busy day pre FP? A pain in the rear. You like Splash? How much do you like it with a 90 minute wait?

Bottom line, Disney has never been cheap. A week at the Contemporary in 1977 was $1000 for just the hotel (if memory servers me.)
Adjusted for inflation I think we are doing pretty good today. Also today, you have other on-site options that are more affordable with the Disney magic and attention to detail. We where just at POR in Oct and the whole resort has been refurbished and is as fresh as new, something I don't think gets enough attention is the quality levels that remain high at the resorts.

Now I will agree that maintenance at Splash could be a bit better, and that some creative decisions like the mermaids are not exactly 9 old men worthy. BUT HM looks great, the TT refurb looks great, Soarin still gets applauds even though they need a digital projector, so all is not perfect, but it is fun. An you know what, back in the day there was no Instanet, and you didn't know about a leaky lift hill or a non jumping rabbit or a flipping new restroom. You went and you liked it, and if you didn't you didn't go back.

We are looking forward to our next trip, if you aren't I am sorry, but the bright side is there'll be an extra FP+ for me.
Cheers.

Outstanding post.

The real issue people don't want to believe or contemplate is the fact they are holding the "ideal" of Disney World to memories of their youth, which, while romantic is always going to let them down. Every single time.

One analogy I love to type is going to Wrigley Field as a child and remembering how "magical" it was. Going back there as an adult with my own children, I saw how it really is a dump. It is. Its has aged poorly. I asked my father when it got so bad and he told me, "Son, its always been a dump...". Same thing here, but now people can make a fuss about it and get a instant reaction from these forums. Some of these posters really believe the "declining by degrees" rabble and take these things seriously and champion themselves to the point they are thinking they are making a difference. Like a modern version of the 60's revolution geared towards Disney World. I laugh...

The truth is, if people really want to make a statement, they will stop going. You can't have your cake and eat it too, not on this subject. If you keep the money flowing towards Disney, they will not notice there is something wrong, because they will be too busy counting the cash. Speaking of which, a lot of people making these absurd statements about Disney World have their own agenda which people fail to see. Some of these people ask for money for more of this "inside" information, which I will leave that to speak for itself.

Jimmy Thick- People really don't know the meaning of the word "troll".

celluloid

And even if we can shove the horrible state of upkeep aside. The lack of attractions being built or added is astoundingly stagnant and pathetic. We knew when a park did not have a large scale ride or attraction within five years, even before the internet. Sadly we never had to question it because Disney was on the ball and always had a new attraction to brag about. Besides New Fantasyland the parks are a ghost town in terms of progress.

fngoofy

No, my attitude is not "good enough", it is one of wonder and amazement. They are an operation on a scale that is second to none. What they do is amazing and to get on a soap box, complaining that perfection has been lost is unrealistic, unobtainable, and diminishes the greatness that is at hand.

My biggest problem with the parks are with the GUESTS!! They are the ones talking during rides and taking flash pictures during rides.
It's the guests that don't watch where they walk, that scream at their kids, and that have bad cases of visual rectalitis.

You still meet nice folks, but it only takes one moron with a flash to ruin a ride, and there are more than one out there believe me.

BTW, take a look at Anaheim, they are constantly improving things and getting things wrong as well...they always have, even when Walt was running the show. The overall experience though has always trended up and has always been a value for your money. Anytime you want to fact check that, go to a Worlds of Fun or Six Flags and see how the other half live.

celluloid

One should not have to look to Six Flags as a comparison to know that Disney World is better. And yeah, you even just pointed out the difference. Disneyland is now experimenting and adding onto the parks. That is where the risks take to gain ultimate overall success with a few leaning curve failures along the way. WDW is Stagnant in comparison to their cali sisters.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, my attitude is not "good enough", it is one of wonder and amazement. They are an operation on a scale that is second to none. What they do is amazing and to get on a soap box, complaining that perfection has been lost is unrealistic, unobtainable, and diminishes the greatness that is at hand.

So.. if I put complete crap food on your plate.. as long as I add MORE and MORE of it.. you'll happy eat crap food over good food?

Scale is not a reason to accept mediocrity.

BTW, take a look at Anaheim, they are constantly improving things and getting things wrong as well...they always have, even when Walt was running the show. The overall experience though has always trended up and has always been a value for your money. Anytime you want to fact check that, go to a Worlds of Fun or Six Flags and see how the other half live.

I think anyone who thinks DLR is perfect is dellusional... but what they do have right now for tourists (and not locals) is a serious upward trend over the last 5 years. A trend I will happily enjoy. I don't care what it was in the past or in the future.. I'm paying for my experiences now. And 'now' at WDW isn't worth the commitment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom