Kali River Rapids reopens.... and guess what??

PeterAlt

When was this refurb started? The planning at least had to be during Meg Crofton's tenure at WDW. We should be seeing positive changes moving foward all rehabs that are just starting or about to start should reflect possible quality.

I'll be watching this very closely for signs of progress or lack of.

Tom Morrow

The weight distribution can effect the movement of the raft, but still, there's no real way of knowing which side of the raft is going to get the big splash from the drop. Just like all circular raft rapids rides, the rafts never bump or bounce in the same spots, or spin at the same speeds.

What's interesting is that Anaheim's version of Kali, DCA's Grizzly River Run, is also closed for a six week refurbishment this winter. Grizzly reopens next week, and it will be interesting to see what they did there. There has been a lot of construction and work seen over the walls there in the past few weeks. Although, when I rode Grizzly last fall it seemed in great condition aesthetically and operationally, after having another refurbishment earlier in 2012.
If I had to guess, both rides might be receiving the same required maintenance. The difference, though, is that Grizzly is already a very good rapids ride and kept in good shape. Kali was short and lackluster from the beginning, and to make matters worse, most of the show effects have disappeared over the years. Six weeks isn't enough time for a major overhaul, but should definitely be enough time to spruce up and fix whats already there. But from what it sounds like, almost no effort was made toward any improvement to the ride itself.

Walt 1901

As a stock holder in the TWDC I am disappointed at the path at which the company is taking. I try as hard as I can to voice my disapproval when I see something on a visit that makes me mad. I hate that the company is putting profits before quality. I am of the believe that if you build the best quality product out there the profits will take care of themselves. I believe the man who started the company believed that as well. I wish we could have a second stock holder revolution and get some management in place that can get us back on track. This time I dont want someone like Roy E Disney from the financial side to lead it. I would like someone like Walt from the creative side to do it.

PeterAlt

With Comcast putting $1.5 billion into USF makeover, if Disney doesn't at the very minimum keep up with maintenance, Universal will take its title as the leader and top resort. WDW will be for theme parks like K-Mart and MySpace are for retail and online social networking, leaders that are now but a footnote in history.

In other words, Universal will become like Facebook and Walmart is today.

BryceM

With Comcast putting $1.5 billion into USF makeover, if Disney doesn't at the very minimum keep up with maintenance, Universal will take its title as the leader and top resort. WDW will be for theme parks like K-Mart and MySpace are for retail and online social networking, leaders that are now but a footnote in history.

In other words, Universal will become like Facebook and Walmart is today.
I doubt Universal Orlando is capable of becoming "top resort" when it comes to attendance, due to the immense draw that Magic Kingdom has. Though I have no doubt that Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure will pass both DAK and DHS in terms of attendance. Both USF and IOA already passed DAK and DHS a long time ago when it comes to maintenance.

Pixiedustmaker

While Kali was never that great to begin with, it at least had a few added qualities which distinguished it from the raft ride at your local amusement park.

I was really disappointed when I rode Kali for the first time many years ago as it is just a gussied up off-the-shelf ride, sort the same situation as Grizzly River Run at DCA, a simple Knotts type ride with some scenery but no story like classic Disney attractions, nothing special to write home about. Kinda surprised that people are upset about the refurb given that this ride will never be anything special, guess management feels the same way.

gonnichi

Seeing this news I am glad we decided to go to Universal Orlando and Sea World this coming summer for our next trip to Orlando. Of course we will hit the Magic Kingdom for one day. The little mermaid ride, Test Track 2.0, Capt Jack Sparrow show, and rehabbed Kali. None of these gives us any reason to venture into WDW. Kinda sad that these are the new offerings at WDW for this summer.

BryceM

Seeing this news I am glad we decided to go to Universal Orlando and Sea World this coming summer for our next trip to Orlando. Of course we will hit the Magic Kingdom for one day. The little mermaid ride, Test Track 2.0, Capt Jack Sparrow show, and rehabbed Kali. None of these gives us any reason to venture into WDW. Kinda sad that these are the new offerings at WDW for this summer.
[sarcasm]Maybe a new interactive queue or Meet & Greet will change your opinion...?[/sarcasm]

Magenta Panther

As a stock holder in the TWDC I am disappointed at the path at which the company is taking. I try as hard as I can to voice my disapproval when I see something on a visit that makes me mad. I hate that the company is putting profits before quality. I am of the believe that if you build the best quality product out there the profits will take care of themselves. I believe the man who started the company believed that as well. I wish we could have a second stock holder revolution and get some management in place that can get us back on track. This time I dont want someone like Roy E Disney from the financial side to lead it. I would like someone like Walt from the creative side to do it.

At this point, I'm not sure TWDC can even be shamed into cleaning up its act. Remember that embarrassing article in that Florida newspaper about the broken yeti? It was pretty unsparing. How did WDW react? With a shrug and excuses. Pitiful.

Tom Morrow

The little mermaid ride, Test Track 2.0, Capt Jack Sparrow show, and rehabbed Kali.
This appears to have been a standard refurbishment and not something thats supposed to attract interest. But there are brief refurbishments, where only something specific is worked on, standard refurbishments like this, and lengthy enhancement/plussing/makeover refurbishments like what Haunted Mansion, Test Track, or Space Mountain got. Still, a six week "standard" refurbishment is enough time to make everything "like new" and spruce it up. Indiana Jones at DL was closed for what, 8-10 weeks? A ride that heavily relies on show effects, and the reports are that it now looks incredible, better than ever. Being that Kali has very few show effects to maintain, it seems pretty inexcusable that nothing was fixed or corrected during those six weeks (regardless of what the main goal of the refurbishment was) and apparently in some ways, made worse

PhotoDave219

At this point, I'm not sure TWDC can even be shamed into cleaning up its act. Remember that embarrassing article in that Florida newspaper about the broken yeti? It was pretty unsparing. How did WDW react? With a shrug and excuses. Pitiful.

Waitaminute here. "The Foundation is Cracked" is not an excuse. You really cant shut down Everest for six months to fix the Yeti. Just not feasable.

That really doesnt fit into the "big picture gripes" that most of us have moved onto. The reason the foundation cracked is more along those lines. The ride is 8 years old, the foundation shouldnt be cracking that fast.

So easliy bitched about but not easily fixed.

TP2000

You really cant shut down Everest for six months to fix the Yeti. Just not feasable..

Why not???

Disneyland's Space Mountain was closed for two years in the mid 2000's. Last year Disneyland's Matterhorn (Everest's Coaster Great-Grandfather) was closed for six months. Right now Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland is closed for 10 months for a massive refurbishment. And all this while Disneyland Resort boasts record attendance, maxed out hotel occupancy, while CFO Jay Rasulo summed it up in a recent press conference... "The great success of Cars Land, both from a quality and from a quantity perspective in terms of attendance and pricing, has reflected itself in Disneyland Resort greatly outgrowing Walt Disney World," said Jay Rasulo, the company's financial officer... http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/california-496298-disney-disneyland.html

If WDW is the big, sprawling property that it's supposed to be, with a gazillion and one things to do, the Vacation Kingdom Of The World, then surely they can close one roller coaster for six months to get it fixed correctly for the next 50 years of proper Yeti operation. Or can they? o_O

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Bingo! Don't sit near overweight people on Kali if you desire to stay dry. As you noted, the "fat" side of the raft rides lower in the water and it becomes the bow. The high side of the raft becomes the stern. As a result, the heavy side of the raft gets soaked 9 times out of 10 while the light side of the raft stays dry. I suppose that the designer thought that since overweight people sweat more, they'd appreciate a good drenching.
Blaming the "heavy side" of the raft on overweight people is a bit of an over-generalization. I weigh 120 lbs and get soaked to the bone because I am seated between my 6' 8" - 260 lb hubby and my two 6' 4" - 200+ lb sons. None of us is overweight, thank you, but we usually comprise the heavy side of the raft.

PhotoDave219

Why not???

Disneyland's Space Mountain was closed for two years in the mid 2000's. Last year Disneyland's Matterhorn (Everest's Coaster Great-Grandfather) was closed for six months. Right now Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland is closed for 10 months for a massive refurbishment. And all this while Disneyland Resort boasts record attendance, maxed out hotel occupancy, while CFO Jay Rasulo summed it up in a recent press conference... "The great success of Cars Land, both from a quality and from a quantity perspective in terms of attendance and pricing, has reflected itself in Disneyland Resort greatly outgrowing Walt Disney World," said Jay Rasulo, the company's financial officer... http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/california-496298-disney-disneyland.html

If WDW is the big, sprawling property that it's supposed to be, with a gazillion and one things to do, the Vacation Kingdom Of The World, then surely they can close one roller coaster for six months to get it fixed correctly for the next 50 years of proper Yeti operation. Or can they? o_O

Why Not?? You want to try and explain to the 3 million people WHY they cant ride the only rollercoaster at that park? They planned their trip 180 days out and you want to close it just to fix an animatronic that people only see in a blur as they finish the ride?

And frankly, I dont give a flying (Kelly Ripa!) what Jay Rasulo says. I say I'm going to WDW tomorrow and that trumps whatever you want to quote. :D

PhotoDave219

Point being, you have to compromise somewhere and the Yeti is where I draw my line.

If i get better park maintenance, better park cleaning and a complete management culture change, I'll be more than happy to never see the yeti move again.

WDW1974

I dunno ... how many management apologists have excused this already? Has anyone used New Fantasyland or MM+ as excuses?

I truly hate the attraction. Even told Joe Rohde that, which led to a 30-minute 'discussion' of what the original attraction was supposed to be (think real tigers, think twice the length etc). I haven't seen a need to ride it since Y2K. Still, I can't help but add to the piling on because after just skimming the thread it's obvious a typical WDW refurb.

In other words, do a basic cleaning, maybe some painting and deal with anything about to fail and then turn it back on.

IT IS GODAWFUL SHOW!!! No excuses are valid.

But that is par for the course at WDW ... wonder if Al Lutz has a clue (hey @Kevin Yee, you may want to point it out to him as he doesn't respond to me!) that DLR's new Prez, the nice-looking youngish fella selling popcorn (Michael Colglazier) has presided over the park that has all of its signature attractions in various states of disrepair.

But let's wait for Splash Mountain to open with filthy logs, missing and non-functioning AAs etc before we really get upset because that attraction used to be worth a visit to the MK by itself. And we all saw how great Disney took care of BTMRR!

WDW1974

Blaming the "heavy side" of the raft on overweight people is a bit of an over-generalization. I weigh 120 lbs and get soaked to the bone because I am seated between my 6' 8" - 260 lb hubby and my two 6' 4" - 200+ lb sons. None of us is overweight, thank you, but we usually comprise the heavy side of the raft.

I gotta ask, but is your nickname in the family 'Tiny' by any chance?:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom