Just Returned-Things Are Still Great At WDW!

WDW1974

if people go expecting bad things then they will get them.

That's exactly the type of 'tude I was referring to.

I guess this means if I expect dirty bathrooms at the MK or rundown rooms at the Beach Club or poor landscaping at Epcot they'll happen and it's all on me.

Pass the Kool Aid ...

CBOMB

I'm glad you had a good time on your trip. There is definetly more good than bad at WDW. However, does anyone here actually believe some folks would pay thousands of dollars to go to WDW just to find fault with it. The problems WDW is having really need to be addressed, before they become all to common place. I don't think anybody said you will not have a good time if you go to WDW. They only want the standards to return to what they once were.

Jasper Dale

Original Poster
When I was a kid back when WDW first opened it was every kid’s dream to get to go there just once in their life. We would try to sell the most seeds for contest or whatever just to try to win a trip there. I think from your positive post that maybe you might of been one of those kids when you were younger and you are like I and still appreciate having the health and money to go to such a wonderful place that still instills just as much joy in me today as it did back then when I had never been there yet. Thank you for your positive post. Now I can't wait for April to get here which is our next trip.:sohappy::ROFLOL::sohappy:

you are so right! and let me tell you from the heart that it IS worth saving for. my wife and i have been blessed with good health and a week at the world is so refreshing. so much so........that we are making plans to go BACK in about 7 weeks. it's crazy, i know! i'm giddy just thinking about being so reckless, but we are just waiting to see if my wife can take the week off work.

:rolleyes:

tirian

I'm glad you had a good time on your trip. There is definetly more good than bad at WDW. However, does anyone here actually believe some folks would pay thousands of dollars to go to WDW just to find fault with it. The problems WDW is having really need to be addressed, before they become all to common place. I don't think anybody said you will not have a good time if you go to WDW. They only want the standards to return to what they once were.

Unfortunately, Voices of Reason are often ignored. ;) :wave:

I don't look for the bad either, but some things hit you in the face like a 2x4. (There is still more good than bad, though.)

Jasper Dale

Original Poster
WDW1974,

you have an advantage over a lot of us, probably most of the people on the forum. it sounds as if you frequent the parks a lot, so you see the parks in a different light.

i agree with you on some level. last Saturday, the Magic Kingdom bathrooms were more terrifying than the Haunted Mansion. and yes, i saw a lot of "paint chipping" during our trip.

it all depends on what kind of eyes you are looking through. for my wife and i, WDW is a special unique place. we can arrive at the airport, be whisked away to a place where we don't have to worry about transportation, where time truly "stands still".

we don't have the money to vacation often. at WDW, you don't have to spend a lot of money. you don't NEED $5,000 to stay in the park for a wonderful vacation.

WDW gives you so many options that you cannot find anywhere else.

i found it amazing that we could start the day at Hollywood Studios, drop by Epcot for a ham and cheese croissant and a French pastry, zip back to the hotel for a 90 minute nap, and than head off to Magic Kingdom for a night of fireworks and repeated splashes at the Mountain.

it seems that you are looking at the 5% of WDW that irritates you, while i am looking at the 95% that continues to awe and amaze me.

:)

CBOMB

Unfortunately, Voices of Reason are often ignored. ;) :wave:

I don't look for the bad either, but some things hit you in the face like a 2x4. (There is still more good than bad, though.)
With your special perception towards WDW I couldn't imagine you wanting anything short of the best there.:wave:

WDW1974

WDW1974,

you have an advantage over a lot of us, probably most of the people on the forum. it sounds as if you frequent the parks a lot, so you see the parks in a different light.

I don't know if my bank account would agree with you, but as a Floridian who travels a lot (and had a second residence near DL until recently) that's true.

I spend a tremendous amount of time in the parks. ... I'd like to think that experience, as well as my knowledge and familarity with Disney's other resorts and their media empire as whole gives me a solid foundation upon which to discuss WDW (good, bad and ugly!)

i agree with you on some level. last Saturday, the Magic Kingdom bathrooms were more terrifying than the Haunted Mansion. and yes, i saw a lot of "paint chipping" during our trip.

I see those things often (certainly not all the time). They don't 'ruin' my trips. They don't make me cry or even (unless something is REALLY bad) make me complain. I do just take mental notes.

it all depends on what kind of eyes you are looking through. for my wife and i, WDW is a special unique place. we can arrive at the airport, be whisked away to a place where we don't have to worry about transportation, where time truly "stands still".

we don't have the money to vacation often. at WDW, you don't have to spend a lot of money. you don't NEED $5,000 to stay in the park for a wonderful vacation.

Absolutely.

And I am looking thru WDW from the eyes of someone who has been a regular visitor (pretty much every three months) since the 1970s, who also has APs in Anaheim and Paris ... who also has gone on DCL and visited the off-site DVC resorts ... who recently visited HKDL for the first time ... who also travels to non-Disney locales extensively ... who is a Disney shareholder (and not of the one share variety) ...who knows and has dealt in a professional capacity with Disney execs and some who used to be ... who has friends that work (or did) for the company in many capacities from front line CMs to Imagineers to animators to marketing (yeah, really!) ... who also has a family that has rich roots in the media business ... so those are the eyes I view WDW from.

And (knowing full well some people are going to take offense at this when none is intended) that isn't the eyes of the typical fanboy/gal. It just isn't.

That in no way makes me better than anyone. But it does make me more knowledgable than most (and I don't know how to state this in a way that makes it not sound like I'm blowing my own horn ... although every male would if he could but oops ... wrong discussion. sorry!)

WDW gives you so many options that you cannot find anywhere else.

True .... but only partially. Have you ever tried another Disney resort?

i found it amazing that we could start the day at Hollywood Studios, drop by Epcot for a ham and cheese croissant and a French pastry, zip back to the hotel for a 90 minute nap, and than head off to Magic Kingdom for a night of fireworks and repeated splashes at the Mountain.

Yep. You can have an amazing time at WDW, even now. No doubt about it.

it seems that you are looking at the 5% of WDW that irritates you, while i am looking at the 95% that continues to awe and amaze me.

:)

I wish it were five percent. You'd never hear a peep from me if the number were that small.

About 25% irritates me these days (and that's before all these cuts that everyone thinks I'm making up because I have nothing better to do).

But that doesn't mean I can't go to WDW and have a great time ... I usually do ... and when I don't it's usually due to people (sometimes even those with me! and other guests! and sometimes CMs too!)

I think many people here can't reconcile how one could complain about a place and love it so much STILL!

It's actually quite easy.

But thanks for the nice response!:xmas:

WDW1974

WDW1974 wants to keep it amazing. while returning the quality of show to what it once was.

Remind me to pay you for cutting thru my long-windedness and hitting the nail on the head.

On second though, pay me for giving you a purpose in life!:xmas:

Jasper Dale

Original Poster
wdw1974,

i think the more you visit somewhere, the more you see its flaws. it's only natural.

my wife and i used to visit Colorado Springs every year and each time we went, i noticed little things that irritated me, that i totally either missed or ignored before.

i'm sure if i had visited WDW over 50 times as you have, i would notice and be bothered by the things you have discussed. my only concern is that all the negative talk about the parks could cause someone who doesn't visit WDW often, to have second thoughts about planning a trip.

even if it were possible, i don't think i would want to visit WDW as often as you have. i've noticed in my own life that when something becomes too familiar, it tends to lose its "specialness". (this does not include my beloved wife, if she happens to read this. :cool:)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
wdw1974,

i think the more you visit somewhere, the more you see its flaws. it's only natural.

my wife and i used to visit Colorado Springs every year and each time we went, i noticed little things that irritated me, that i totally either missed or ignored before.

i'm sure if i had visited WDW over 50 times as you have, i would notice and be bothered by the things you have discussed. my only concern is that all the negative talk about the parks could cause someone who doesn't visit WDW often, to have second thoughts about planning a trip.

even if it were possible, i don't think i would want to visit WDW as often as you have. i've noticed in my own life that when something becomes too familiar, it tends to lose its "specialness". (this does not include my beloved wife, if she happens to read this. :cool:)
:ROFLOL:

Nice save! :sohappy:

WDW1974

wdw1974,

Absolutely. That's human nature. BUT ... it's also important to realize the flaws are there. They aren't made up or created.

And as I've aged I tend to notice flaws quicker now.

I was thrilled the first time I made it to DLP, but it was before the 15th Anniversary Celebration (and the place was literally falling apart in places due to neglect -- and its 'leadership' team which was two former WDW execs who helped WalMart Epcot) ... so as much as took in the amazing detail and beauty, I also noticed that the floorboards on the Treehouse were rotting thru (and dangerous) and there were potholes in the Hub (really!) and pieces of the amazing Castle were crumbling.

Thankfully, many of these things have been fixed since.

My only response to that, Jasper, would be that if anyone lets talk by strangers on an Internet forum talk them out of a trip than something is seriously wrong with them.

It's not like everyone or anyone really (myself included) are saying 'WDW sucks, don't go!' ... I talked someone (a friend) into making a trip up there this weekend to show her young nieces all the holiday decorations at MK and DAK. Would someone do that if they didn't believe the place was worth visiting?

If people can't use or don't have critical thinking skills, then they are in a world of trouble in the game of life.

Not really true.

I can't walk under SSE and not feel special ... I can't walk into the WL and not feel it ... I can't walk down Main Street toward that castle and not feel it ... I can't take a monorail without feeling it.

I do feel it. All the time when I visit ... or I wouldn't.

The specialness has never left and I hope it never does.

That said, I find it very sad that most of the people entrusted with running that amazing resort don't feel the way we do. And it shows everytime they cut a little more of tha magic!

Dragonrider1227

Heck, I can't ride a Disney bus without "feeling it" ^^
Yeah, some people just arn't happy unless they're complaining. Glad to know it's still fun for the rest of us! :D

Jasper Dale

Original Poster
wdw1974, i'm curious. if you had control over WDW, what are the first things you would do to "change things". are there certain things that stand out for you?

one of the things that DOES bother me is that the Imagineers don't seem to be creating anything new that is worth getting excited over. i was totally unimpressed with Toy Story Mania.

and yet, my wife and i really enjoyed Little Mermaid even though we had seen it half a dozen times already.....

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
The only reason why I even posted here was because the OP used my line about WDW being stale in his/her first line ...
we just got back from a five day stay at WDW. gee, there is so much talk about how Disney World is crummy, but let me assure everyone that it is not all doom and gloom.

Sorry... There has been negativity in general as of late here on the forums. I don't see the connection of how you are the person the OP was specifically speaking about though. :veryconfu:shrug:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Dude, I glanced at the screen and misread that as "piranha." I was wondering what the heck you were talking about.
HHhhmmmmm... Freudian misread on your part revealing your true feelings about WDW1974? :lookaroun

Or just a misread? :shrug:

:lol:

Or... Maybe he's a paranoid piranha? :ROFLOL:

LSonDubz

i just got back today from a 5 day trip.. went to the mk yesterday.. pirates was down for a little, the haunted mansion kept stopping at least 3 times during each of our 2 rides. my overall observation was that attendance was way down compared to last yr (we went the same week last yr), the on-site hotel we stayed at was empty, we even heard variosu gift shop employees talking about how bad it was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom