Jurassic Park Rollercoaster Coming To Universals Islands Of Adventure?

J4546

BTM, Everest, SDMT, and Grizzly Runaway Mine train would like a word...
you right, everest is one of the best coasters ever, BTM is awesome as well. SDMT is good but should have been a bit longer, it seems like it was cut down a lot but its still cool. GRRMT looks cool too, i just want more god damnit. and I want them now!

Patcheslee

While there are certainly some areas in the park where views are not as good as they used to be, as a coaster enthusiast, this looks awesome. I'm sure it'll be awhile before my kids are tall enough, however. Looks like a 54" ride.
51" if you go by the blog Uni released. Towards the bottom of the article.

Jrb1979

you right, everest is one of the best coasters ever, BTM is awesome as well. SDMT is good but should have been a bit longer, it seems like it was cut down a lot but its still cool. GRRMT looks cool too, i just want more god damnit. and I want them now!
I disagree. Disney coasters, while well themed, are not some of th best coasters in the US. I consider Disney coasters to be family friendly. I like them for what they are but they lack intensity. I look at Velocicoaster and it will be intense. Especially with only lap bars

Patcheslee

This would not go over well with the vast majority of Disney's clientele. If you remember back to the 90's, there was a bit of a pushback against the proposed RnRC project since:
1. It would go upside-down
2. It would bring Aerosmith into a Disney family park

Of course it's popularity once completed showed the mom panels and other naysayers who were against it that Disney could successfully go a little on the "extreme" side, but it's only one attraction. If Disney pushed for more at it's level of thrill there would be louder cries from parents. Disney is smart to cater to its core clientele and keep things family friendly.
I can see both sides of it. We avoided our local park due to the lack of family friendly rides with a very short adrenaline junkie kid for a long time. Disney wasn't on the radar due to our income. When it was finally in our budget it came down to Disney or Uni, Disney won then because DD7 was barely 48". Uni on the other hand had very visible coasters that draw attention, but too short= easy decision was Disney. I'm not one for child swaps.
Year later she was tall enough for all but Hulk, so we went there and she wants to go back.
I swear if there was a looping coaster for 36" kids eons ago she would have been on it lol

PostScott

I disagree. Disney coasters, while well themed, are not some of th best coasters in the US. I consider Disney coasters to be family friendly. I like them for what they are but they lack intensity. I look at Velocicoaster and it will be intense. Especially with only lap bars
I guess it depends on how one views a roller coaster. There has to be a balance between theming and thrills and each varies from person to person.

But yeah I agree, most of Disney's coasters, while excellent in theming, are not thrilling, but thats okay because it's targeted audience are families. Universal seems to have a better grasp on a balance between theming and thrills. I know Disney could beat Universal if they really tried. Imagineers are really creative and honestly I'd love to see them create a super thrilling and extremely immersive coaster, but we can only dream.

Rob562

Sexy beast

I can't remember the last coaster I saw that looked so smooth. It is going to be a delight to ride

I know the paddock section is the "slow" part of the ride, but seeing the recent footage I was surprised at just HOW slow it was in a few parts... Crawling over some of those hills and twists could feel a bit awkward for riders banked in weird directions as the train hits its slowest moments.

-Rob

aliceismad

Velocicoaster looks amazing.

(And also like something I probably won't want to ride in 5 or 10 more years when it would make my head explode.)

maxairmike

I know the paddock section is the "slow" part of the ride, but seeing the recent footage I was surprised at just HOW slow it was in a few parts... Crawling over some of those hills and twists could feel a bit awkward for riders banked in weird directions as the train hits its slowest moments.

-Rob

I am hoping they can squeeze a few more MPH out of both launches, though I know the length on the 1st one especially could be a limiting factor. It was running slightly faster in test runs yesterday I believe, and they intentionally ran it a little slow the other day when I was there and watched it barely make it through the 2nd dive loop and then only about 1/3 of the way up the top hat.

JoeCamel

The theming looks great. The speed is a bit slower than anticipated and has me thinking this won't be as intense as predicted. Then again, coasters can still produce strong forces without speed.

I mean... Hagrid's?
I thought about that and the difference is launches I think. Hagrid has gimmicks (good ones) but this looks like you can just flow with it. I get that feeling on RnRR too and this looks a step up.

Tom Morrow

I think the perception has been that this would be more along the lines of Maveric and Taron in intensity, but comparing off-ride footage, I would say that it's somewhere between them and Cheetah Hunt. I still could be wrong though. I don't have an issue with that either way. Intensity isn't everything. I've reached a point where I prefer fun over intensity.

JT3000

Don't judge the ride's speed based on recent empty train testing. It will be faster with passengers. Part of the testing process also involves purposely introducing suboptimal conditions, so they can test all of the fail-safes.

This video shows what happens when the ride has to stop on the 2nd launch (starting at 2:40.)

Rob562

Don't judge the ride's speed based on recent empty train testing. It will be faster with passengers. Part of the testing process also involves purposely introducing suboptimal conditions, so they can test all of the fail-safes.

This video shows what happens when the ride has to stop on the 2nd launch (starting at 2:40.)

Had that happen to us on Hagrid's. We we stopped in the tunnel under the tree by the spike (with mist continuing full-blast) after going up the spike and back down. After a minute or two the fins propelled us forward back up the spike slightly, and then coming back down we were accelerated backwards as normal.

Another cascade stop I saw on a video had someone stop at the launch heading into the back part of the ride. It slowed them where the front of the train made it into the next curve, but then stopped and very slowly rolled backwards into the block point. I don't recall if the video showed the restart from that point or not.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom