Jungle Cruise: What's The Point?

Magicalan

Original Poster
Not wanting to offend any Jungle Cruise fans, but now that Walt Disney World has the Kilimanjaro Safaris, what's the point? Why would anyone want to go on a fake safari, when there's a real one just a few miles away?

I personally think they should close it down, and use the space to put some "magic" back into Adventureland. For example, they could build an Adventure Isle like in Disneyland Paris, with Skull Rock and Captain Hook's ship. Something really elaborate and based in fantasy.

Richie248

Although it's not my favorite ride, it's a classic...so I guess it's there because it has sentimental meaning. I couldn't imagine Adventureland without it. However I would like to see a complete rehab of it!!!

eightieschild said:
Not wanting to offend any Jungle Cruise fans, but now that Walt Disney World has the Kilimanjaro Safaris, what's the point? Why would anyone want to go on a fake safari, when there's a real one just a few miles away?

I personally think they should close it down, and use the space to put some "magic" back into Adventureland. For example, they could build an Adventure Isle like in Disneyland Paris, with Skull Rock and Captain Hook's ship. Something really elaborate and based in fantasy.

First off, Kilimanjaro Safaris is COMPLETELY different than Jungle Cruise and also Jungle Cruise is ment to be Fake, and Funny, which is one of the main reasons that i think disney keeps it, not to mention the long lines for waits up to 60 min. But that's My opnion. But the fact is Kilimanjaro Safari and Jungle Cruise are in different leagues

MickeyMan101

Magicalan

Original Poster
But, was the Jungle Cruise really supposed to be fake and funny when it originally opened in Disneyalnd? Was that the proposal for the ride? A phony safari with plastic animals? I doubt it. I know the skipper was supposed to be humorous, but the animatronics weren't supposed to be, were they?

shoppingnut

eightieschild said:

They are two different experiences and JC was funny and they were telling jokes way before KS came along.

We do not need an Adventure Isle, we have enough kids play areas which are totally boring. We need more C and D rides in the park.

Pongo

eightieschild said:
But, was the Jungle Cruise really supposed to be fake and funny when it originally opened in Disneyalnd? Was that the proposal for the ride? A phony safari with plastic animals? I doubt it. I know the skipper was supposed to be humorous, but the animatronics weren't supposed to be, were they?

If the animatronics weren't supposed to be humorous, we wouldn't see headhunters and rhinos forcing safari guides up a pole.

The original plan for the ride DID call for real animals, but that wasn't feasable.

So basically, yes. Walt did want the ride to be cheesy and obviously fake. That's where its charm lies. That's why people love it so much. There's a famous picture of Walt laughing when he first heard the "Backside of water" joke that is often inserted in any pictoral history of the ride.

I'm not too big a fan of it, but I know that it wasn't meant to be taken literal. Nothing in MK is to be taken literal. You can tell that from the name of the place Magic Kingdom. It's a land of Fantasy.

Magicalan

Original Poster
Luke, yeah there are humorous scenes involving the animals. But we aren't supposed to be laughing at how old-fashioned, robotic and stiff they are, are we?

Erika

The point is fun :wave:

Old-fashioned, robotic and stiff, maybe, but more realistic AAs would detract from the ride. As you've already said, those wanting real safari action can go to Kilimanjaro.

Epcot82Guy

I agree with everything here. It is campy, cheesy, and done to make fun of that fact. It really depends on your Skipper, and I sometimes wish there was a bit more consistency in the improv talent there (although it is still very good overall, so kudos to any skippers on here). I also think it could use some plussing as DL's got. But, replacement... not at all.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If this is the case, what`s the point of Space Mountain with Mission Space or even Star Tours??

What`s the point of El Rio De Tiempo with IASW?

What`s the point of The Haunted Mansion with ToT?

All very different experiences, just like KS vs JC are.

Connor002

marni1971 said:
If this is the case, what`s the point of Space Mountain with Mission Space or even Star Tours??

What`s the point of El Rio De Tiempo with IASW?

What`s the point of The Haunted Mansion with ToT?

All very different experiences, just like KS vs JC are.

Ack! I should read the whole thread before responding.
My thoughts exactly...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Following the same logic, should we close down Space Mountain because RnRC is a far superior indoor roller coaster?

Of course not.

Even though both rides are similar in some respects they are very different experiences and story lines.

Once it was determined that real animals were not practical on the jungle cruise the story was morphed into it's current humorous and slightly cheesy form.
KS on the other hand is made to transport you onto a realistic safari on the plains of Africa. This was possible due to AK's vast size which if I am not mistaken KS occupies nearly the same amount of land as the entire MK.

So to answer your question JC should not be closed...it should be refurbed and from what I have heard the refurb is right around the coroner.

CoasterJunkie

Most of the jokes on the JC are NOT making fun of the antiquated AA's. Examples:

-Back side of Water (or for some skippers, the rarely seen front side of a rock!)
-The safari getting the rhino's "point"
-The witch doctor being the "head" salesman of these "parts"
-The snake known to have "crushes" on people
-The second most feared animal in the jungle being the African Bull Elephant, with the first being his Mother-in-Law

The Jungle Cruise now is not so much about the animals themselves, fake or not, but to use the setting as a backdrop for animal and jungle-related humor. KS, on the other hand, has a message of preservation, where the dry-british humor wouldn't be appreciated nor appropriate.

Since1976

What's funny about The Jungle Cruise is that when I first rode it in 1985, I thought, "Man, this must have been a great ride at one time, but now it's just cheesy and corny."

It made me laugh to learn that it has ALWAYS been considered to be cheesy and corny. That very fact makes me want to ride it every time I go, because of the sheer audacity the Imagineers had in creating an expensive boat ride attraction and turning it into a bad joke.

Magicalan

Original Poster
Ok, well thank you for all your replies. You've answered my question. There IS a point to the Jungle Cruise.

I don't think they should go about closing down all the older attractions because the newer ones are better. It's just the Jungle Cruise in particular that seems a bit redundant to me. But, since you all like it so much, I guess it isn't going anywhere.

I wonder what will change in the upcoming rehab? More realistic animatronics? Less realistic animatronics? Animatronics that intentionally break down and start smoking, to make the joke even funnier?

steviej

I don't go on j.c. to see the fake animals. I assumed everyone went on jungle cruise for the awful but terrific jokes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom