Jungle Cruise: What's The Point?

T-1MILLION

Bad animatronics to bad jokes...thats the fun. The imagination is there for kids and adults alike, you just need a little imagination and a good sense of humor.
The ride originally was inspired by a mixture of the classic film "The African queen" and Walt Disney's : Real life adventures. A show that showed animals and cultures of jungles around the world. Actually each scene in Disneyland was sequenced in order for each episode. The jokes after the first couple of years were told by skippers as they made more witty comments and such. The ride has gone through many refurbishments and changes in Disneyland. The humor at Walt Disney world has always been since opening in 1971, unlike Disneyland where the skippers shared jokes and bad puns that caught on overtime back in the 50s and 60s time period.
Also, yes it is true that Walt wanted real Animals for the original plans for the ride. But he was always told and informed by Wild Life officials that the idea would not work because Animal care and all they would do would be hide and sleep all day. Not giving the same show for eache guest.
So now we have this...I love it! I shall becomming a skipper at the Jungle Cruise by this time next year when I start working at WDW.
Just takes a little imagination and a sense of subtle humor. With that said, "please remember if you enjoyed your tour my name is Preston and this has been the World Famous Jungle Cruise...and if you did not like it, My name is Twinkie and I have been your hostess.:lol: :lol:

P.S.: What famous celebrity was a Jungle cruise skipper at Disneyland before he was a star?
Clue: it is not Steve Martin..contrary to popular belief..he was never a JC skipper, but did work in the magic shop at Disneyland.

-Preston

disney9752

Master Yoda said:
Following the same logic, should we close down Space Mountain because RnRC is a far superior indoor roller coaster?

Of course not.

Even though both rides are similar in some respects they are very different experiences and story lines.

Once it was determined that real animals were not practical on the jungle cruise the story was morphed into it's current humorous and slightly cheesy form.
KS on the other hand is made to transport you onto a realistic safari on the plains of Africa. This was possible due to AK's vast size which if I am not mistaken KS occupies nearly the same amount of land as the entire MK.

So to answer your question JC should not be closed...it should be refurbed and from what I have heard the refurb is right around the coroner.

wow a jungle cruise rehab "just around the river bend?".....:rolleyes:

Tim G

FYI... the animals in Jungle cruise are real animals... but the skipper is an Audio animatronic... :lookaroun

Magicalan

Original Poster
Hey, not to offend any Americans, but some of the skippers are so monotonous and robotic they might as well be Audio animatronics!

Jungle Cruise is about the Skippers, Kilimanjari is about the animals. When I'm a Cast Member, I hope to work the Jungle Cruise, and would be dissapointed if I got the Safari...

barnum42

Taryn said:
Jungle Cruise is about the Skippers, Kilimanjari is about the animals. When I'm a Cast Member, I hope to work the Jungle Cruise, and would be dissapointed if I got the Safari...
Both attractions rely on a good CM. OK, the Jungle Cruise requires a better comic performer - something you realise when you get one of the robots. The Safari needs a more subtle performance with an ability to think on one's feet due to the unpredictable nature of the performers. Not to mention that truck is not on a guide rail ;)

T-1MILLION

Funny you should mention that the Killamanjaro Safari drivers need to be quick on their feet. Since last time I checked they get to sit down and relax!!...:lol: :D

Also, while not on a guide rail. The KS trucks are monitored as if they were by computer chips implemented inside the trucks and the ground.:D

Also, hey it does take some skill to control the throtal of those boats..there are some delicate spots where a boat could cause another to jump the track due to a current of speed and thrust.

On a side Note...The skippers are not animatronic on JC...nither are the Animals..The people that laugh at the Skipper's jokes on your boat with you are actually the best animatronics Imagineers have created to date.:lol: :lol: :hammer:

-Preston(future JC skipper..one year and counting)

PS: anyone know the answer to the question in my post above?

RebeccaQ

Funny thing about the difference between JC and KS -

On my oldest child's first trip (he was very little) he wasn't ruffled at all on KS, but got a bit jumpy on JC. We were surprised at first since JC is fake after all -
until we realized that the JC animals are much closer to you than the KS animals - so if you don't necessarily realize that they are fake then :eek:

We thought the irony was hilarious that we were thinking of JC as more "kiddy" than KS but for tykes under a certain age is was a bit the opposite.

DLP Fan

T-1MILLION said:
P.S.: What famous celebrity was a Jungle cruise skipper at Disneyland before he was a star?

Is it the guy who has come to save Disney Parks and apparantly add some quality atractions, the great John Lasseter?

barnum42 said:
Both attractions rely on a good CM. OK, the Jungle Cruise requires a better comic performer - something you realise when you get one of the robots. The Safari needs a more subtle performance with an ability to think on one's feet due to the unpredictable nature of the performers.

While this is true, with the Safari the point of the CM is really to direct your eyes to the animals. You would still have a ride without the narration, albeit a little more boring. However, if you didn't have Skippers on the JC, modern technology wouldn't allow such an outdated ride to exist. Of course, the outdatedness plays into the funny aspects of the ride, but if you take away funny, it just doesn't work.

barnum42 said:
Not to mention that truck is not on a guide rail ;)

Another reason why I should try not to work the Safaris...:lookaroun

:lol:

Tracks N Slabs

T-1MILLION said:
Clue: it is not Steve Martin..contrary to popular belief..he was never a JC skipper, but did work in the magic shop at Disneyland.

Robin Williams

and Steve Martin did spend a brief period in the Jungle, but most of the time was on Main Street, as you stated.

disneydata

Robin Williams was never a jungle cruise skipper.

The WDW jungle does not run on a track, it runs in a trough. Kind of hard for a boat to derail when there is no rail!

JC refurb = dock, boat upgrades, gun upgrades, fixing everything we have ... most likely not adding anything just yet

Buford

Tracks N Slabs said:
Robin Williams

and Steve Martin did spend a brief period in the Jungle, but most of the time was on Main Street, as you stated.
Are you sure about Steve Martin?? I was told that that's just an urban legend by a historian at the WDC....

Tracks N Slabs

disneydata said:
Robin Williams was never a jungle cruise skipper.

The WDW jungle does not run on a track, it runs in a trough. Kind of hard for a boat to derail when there is no rail!

JC refurb = dock, boat upgrades, gun upgrades, fixing everything we have ... most likely not adding anything just yet

Williams was a DL Skipper for a brief period of time, prior to being let go for being too over the top. Take 30 minutes to do your stand-up routine in a Jungle boat isn't what Disneyland had in mind.

boat upgrades?? like the jomar? Boat & gun upgrades can take place during scheduled cycle-out. Thats why you have 15 boats (I miss the Kate) when you can only put 10 on the river. Thankfully the water leak in the bathing pool was fixed... now if e could just find the Chief's hair..... :cool:

And I've seen boats come out of the trough... its kinda funny to see the front on spur and the back end floating towards the main line.

RonAnnArbor

Jungle Cruise is one of my fave attractions at MK -- there is no point to it, that's the point. Even when I was 14 years old in 1974, it had no point -- it had bad jokes and shade and a long line...in fact, I think most of the jokes now are still the same jokes as back then -- it's a chance to go float around in a boat running in a track (well, in a trough to be specific).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom