Jungle Cruise Update

Miru

The Jungle Cruise is a 100% experiential attraction. It doesn't need a linear story- and modern WDI doesn't understand how to integrate story into an attraction at all, relying on linear point a to point b stories like a movie (Mermaid is an example of this)

Attractions have to rely on emotional storytelling- taking the rider through a series of events that flow emotionally, rise in intensity, climax, then wind down before the end.

Looking at Pirates at Disneyland is the perfect example of this-

Bayou>Caverns>Ship battle>Town>Burning town with the song (climax)>jail/shootout/bayou (falling action/ending). It doesn't have a linear story but it does use the same basic elements of a story to create an attraction that's emotionally satisfying.

Mansion and Splash do this exceptionally well also.

Jungle Cruise is more rudimentary, initially it didn't have many of the vignettes we know and love (Marc Davis added those in the '60s) but was purely a tour of the jungle. I worry that a linear story that's 'meta' (now that WDI tries to be meta every chance they get) will weaken the immersion of being in the jungle.
Is there an example of an original attraction that does this badly? Given we have an IP attraction that does it well.

D

Deleted member 107043

It does seem odd and i wouldn't mind that addition at all. I honestly don’t have any attachment to the head hunters. I just don’t like that with every change we lose more of the weird/scary/ macabre. I think those things have a place at Disneyland and help make the attractions feel well rounded and stand out from just being safe and funny. I mean even on the new fairytale rides that have a great villains they are almost reduced to nothing.

Yup. I think I mentioned here somewhere that I recently watched Pinocchio on Disney+ and noted how I had forgotten how dark and downright frightening some of the segments are, especially for what is supposed to be a family film. As a culture it seems we've gradually moved away from anything that would remotely scare children.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think of Small World as the kids wearing "traditional cultural" outfits, not that they are being stereotyped. But too many people like to be offended about anything and everything these days.

I think it all boils down to the world is far more complex and nuanced place than it was in Walt Disney's mind. Disneyland hasn't always aged well, but I'm glad there are responsible people in charge plainly stating the park's point of view on representation, and being clear about calling out mistakes and fixing them.

Dr.Cheeto

Exactly, we need more Marc Davis in the world...
Even if there was an equivalent to Marc Davis today, I'd worry they would probably act as an executive's pencil instead of having the freedom to come up with their own ideas. The gags and story was always clear in his original concept drawings, and only benefitted from minor animatronic animation, lighting, and sound.

The only thing that worries me about these modern updates is that they are all slightly more complicated and not as instantly readable as the original scenes - like the original POTC red head vs the new bad-a** yet friendly red head/co-auctioneer of ...grandfather clocks and used furniture..? They could have kept the original red head scene and included more cool female pirates that were as caricatured and drunk as their male counterparts to broaden the scope of the world. Or added that cool Marc Davis concept where the female pirates marooned the male pirates on an island and kept the treasure to themselves! But I digress...

Attachments

• potc 14.jpg
    potc 14.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 76
  • pirates 26.jpg
    pirates 26.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 76

mickEblu

This is worth a quick read for anyone curious about black pirates in the Caribbean during 1600s - 1700s.

@mickEblu I also want to point out that an "African tribe waving their spears" fits nicely into the Euro-centric black savage stereotype. A cunning black pirate captain is pretty much the complete opposite.

I’ll check it out thanks. I guess my thing is why can’t something exist on an attraction if it exists in real life? Not to say everything in real life is necessarily appropriate on a Disneyland attraction but at any point in history would people exploring a remote jungle in Africa not have possibly stumbled into some tribes that look or behave the way they do on the attraction? Granted In an exaggerated / cartoonified Disney fashion. It’s not as if there is some disclaimer as you walk into the ride saying “ All Africans are represented by the headhunters on this attraction.” I guess where we can run into issues is if it is the ONLY way a particular culture or race is being represented in the park or company. I guess at certain point that was maybe the case. Not really today. I personally don’t view the headhunters as being any worse or better than the drunk, pillaging White pirates.

I think the issue is exacerbated by the fact that the only black/ African people on the attraction are savage and want to kill you. But then again the only white people on POTC are drunken, pillaging heathens. I don’t know, in the end I think at some point we all started taking this stuff way too seriously and it’s more virtue signaling than anything else. I’m pretty sure in 10 years even the Pirates drinking alcohol will be too much. In 20 who knows.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Looks like they're replacing the black guys on the tree with the rhino and all other manner of wildlife surrounding them next to a beach of rocks. But really, that just made sense for the safari guides to be black. Now it's a bunch of white chicks and such? Ehh. Jungle Cruise possibly comes back from cultural sensitivity training with less black characters? I don't know, seems kinda wrong. But then, I don't like anything Disney does anymore, so.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Mon, January 25, 2021

New Adventures to ‘Cast’ Off Soon Along World-Famous Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Park and Magic Kingdom Park​

Michael Ramirez

by Michael Ramirez, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort
At Disney Parks, we continue to look for ways to enhance classic attractions and elevate the experience for all of our guests. Today, we’re excited to share that we are building on the story of the Jungle Cruise at both Disneyland park at Disneyland Resort and Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort to include new adventures that stay true to the experience we know and love – more humor, wildlife and skipper heart – and also reflect and value the diversity of the world around us. There are no bigger fans of this attraction than our Imagineers so I’ve invited Kevin Lively – former Jungle Cruise skipper – to share a transmission from the world’s most remote tropical rivers!

Continuing a tradition that Walt Disney started more than six decades ago when he first enhanced the Jungle Cruise, the new creative concept for our river’s journey will be original to Walt Disney Imagineering, just like the attraction itself. Here’s a first look at some of the “gnu” magic we’re adding:
jcrb023948204982034923432820349.jpg
jccb029348029480294820934823094823094.jpg

Imagineers are excited to invite current Jungle Cruise skippers at Disneyland park and Magic Kingdom park to a Jungle Navigation Company Roll Call, where they will be among the first to hear more about the new adventures and wonders coming down the river. Recently, Imagineers had the chance to provide a sneak peek to a few skippers at Magic Kingdom park – check out the Walt Disney World Ambassador team on Instagram, @WDW.Ambassador, to see additional reactions, and stay tuned for more details about the enhancements in store for the Jungle Cruise, coming later this year.
jck023948023934252482094823420-1024x576.jpg
jccs092834002934802394820349-1024x576.jpg
jccb20394820349820349823094-1024x576.jpg
jcki2039480294820349820349823-1024x576.jpg

Damn it! Noooo!!!

Miru

The native figures were not only culturally outdated, but TECHNOLOGICALLY outdated for many years. I’m surprised they were never made animatronics instead of limited figures. Anyways, this will still be more trouble than it’s worth; more and more fanboys calling for Kim Irvine’s head, more suspicion about “woke”, etc.

D

Deleted member 107043

I guess my thing is why can’t something exist on an attraction if it exists in real life? Not to say everything in real life is necessarily appropriate on a Disneyland attraction but at any point in history would people exploring a remote jungle in Africa not have possibly stumbled into some tribes that look or behave the way they do on the attraction? Granted In an exaggerated / cartoonified Disney fashion.

This isn't the place to have this discussion, and if you are truly curious and interested in learning about the relationship between European colonization, white supremacy, racism, and how it has fed into to negative stereotypes and the erasure of black people in Hollywood and popular culture (ie: Disneyland) there's plenty of information out there.

All that said, you tell me why it would acceptable for an internationally known destination, one intended to be a tribute to American idealism and Walt Disney's legacy, a man who happened to be white, to have an aggressive display of "savages" with spears drawn in attack as the only human AA representation of black people.

mickEblu

This isn't the place to have this discussion, and if you are truly curious and interested in learning about the relationship between European colonization, white supremacy, racism, and how it has fed into to negative stereotypes and the erasure of black people in Hollywood and popular culture (ie: Disneyland) there's plenty of information out there.

All that said, you tell me why it would acceptable for an internationally known destination, one intended to be a tribute to American idealism and Walt Disney's legacy, a man who happened to be white, to have an aggressive display of "savages" with spears drawn in attack as the only human AA representation of black people.

You re right. I’m not really sure I want to go down this rabbit hole.

In the case of the Jungle Cruise I don’t think Walts intention was to misrepresent Black or African people. I think they lived in a time where they didn’t have to worry about being politically correct and that having head hunters attack you on the boat seemed entertaining and like some good old fashioned fake danger on a Disney attraction. It seems like on a Jungle ride, if you re going to include people and want to include some element of danger that would be a very knee jerk approach of going about it. When you just have a few seconds to get your point across as a boat is going by how much better can you do it?

Brer Panther

I'm just gonna repost what I said in another thread for this...

Honestly, removing the natives makes more sense to me than retheming Splash Mountain. There's nothing actually racist about Splash Mountain, the argument that it's racist stems from the fact that it features characters and songs from a movie that has racist/problematic elements, none of which are actually in the ride. The natives... yeah, I'm not sure if anyone actually IS offended by 'em, but I can see why folks WOULD find them offensive. I obviously don't think the whole ride is racist, but I can UNDERSTAND how it could offend people. That's more than I can say for Splash Mountain.

It's amazing to me Disney has the budget for this right now, with their entire parks division decimated.
Maybe they're getting the money for this the same way they're getting the money for the Splash Mountain retheme that they apparently refuse to cancel?
I just question why there is a sudden sense of urgency to push all these changes out all at once. Particularly during a pandemic when the parks are closed and revenue is minimal.
Disney wants to prove that it's "woke" or whatever. That's the main reason.
I think I first thought that was a photo when I saw it...
I don’t even understand how you change Small World. The whole ride is “stereotypes” of different cultures. If they get rid of those stereotypes you re left with a bunch of dolls wearing Zara and H&M all over the world.
They'll probably just retheme the whole ride to Frozen or something.

D

Deleted member 107043

In the case of the Jungle Cruise I don’t think Walts intention was to misrepresent Black or African people.

You're probably right, so he and his designers chose to do what many people in Hollywood did at the time, and still do, erase or diminish our role in the narrative. It's funny that the Disneyland dedication plaque refers to the "hard facts that have created America", and yet it intentionally avoids them.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

D23 interviews Chris Beatty who says, no, the movie is not influencing this redo.

The 'skipper' animatronic is this guy:

View attachment 526633

And apparently this is different from the gorillas trashing the camp scene because these are chimps - animals never before seen in the Jungle Cruise!
I don't believe him.

Sharon&Susan

Please clarify. Are you saying that African dolls and the hierarchical positioning of African natives below a white man invalidate the point I was making?
I was more referring to the point that the savages were the only black human AAs at the time of his death. And while I wouldn't call the pole scene great representation or anything, my interpretation of the scene was that the British explorer was the inexperienced type who'd talk a big talk, but run away the fastest at the sight of danger which is why he's at the top of the pole.

That's my interpretation at least, maybe you're right and it's as simple as the leader of the party being the top. Neither of us can ask Marc Davis or Walt Disney what they were personally thinking without a séance at the Haunted Mansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom