Jungle Cruise Update

mickEblu

It is sad seeing Marc Davis vignettes altered/removed. These changes don't look nearly as egregious as Splash or Pirates. But, WDI has been lacking in their execution as of late- the new auction scene is a disaster, Rosita's voice actress is abysmal, the entirety of Galaxy's Edge.

This concept art is 1000x better then their concept art for most of their announcements in the last 5 years which is promising as well.

I'm curious to see what alterations they make to the script as well.

100%

They look fine on paper but I’m worried about execution and them alluding to this boat/ monkey storyline.

Sharon&Susan

So are there going to be two monkeys doing human things scenes now or is is the new monkey scene replacing the "invading the camp" scene?
I'm leaning on this replacing the native scene, it'd make the most sense with the new narrative. First see the crew on the other boat stuck in a bad situation and our skipper wonders what happened to the Congo Kate.->then the "dangerous" hippos that sunk the boat -> reveal of what happened to the other boat and monkeys.

There's also seems to be a bend in the river on the right something not present with the monkey encampment, but is present near the natives.

Again it seems weird to recycle a similar joke using similar apes (why not do a funny giraffe scene) unless if they're also replacing the encampment with something related to the new story.

Stevek

jcki2039480294820349820349823-1024x576.jpg
Uh oh...this thread should be fun.

TP2000

The Jungle Cruise rides at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will undergo major storytelling updates to remove “negative depictions of native people” as Disney continues to address diversity and inclusivity issues in its theme park attractions.

Walt Disney Imagineering will update Jungle Cruise scenes featuring shrunken head dealer Trader Sam and a rhino chasing a safari group up a tree while adding a new scene with a half-sunken boat overrun by chimps.

“Imagineers are constantly looking for opportunities to enhance experiences, and when it comes to updating classic attractions, they employ a very careful and thoughtful approach,” Disney officials said in a statement. “In this particular case, Imagineers created a storyline that builds upon what people love the most while addressing negative depictions simultaneously.”

Negative depictions? What was negative about the Jungle Cruise??? You could make the argument that the Jungle Cruise had "humorous" depictions of native people. Or that the dancing natives scene was not elaborate enough, or placed up too high to hide the shaking mannequin mechanism that made that scene work.

But "negative" depictions? That seems a bit harsh to me.

SuddenStorm

100%

They look fine on paper but I’m worried about execution and them alluding the his boat/ monkey storyline.

The Jungle Cruise is a 100% experiential attraction. It doesn't need a linear story- and modern WDI doesn't understand how to integrate story into an attraction at all, relying on linear point a to point b stories like a movie (Mermaid is an example of this)

Attractions have to rely on emotional storytelling- taking the rider through a series of events that flow emotionally, rise in intensity, climax, then wind down before the end.

Looking at Pirates at Disneyland is the perfect example of this-

Bayou>Caverns>Ship battle>Town>Burning town with the song (climax)>jail/shootout/bayou (falling action/ending). It doesn't have a linear story but it does use the same basic elements of a story to create an attraction that's emotionally satisfying.

Mansion and Splash do this exceptionally well also.

Jungle Cruise is more rudimentary, initially it didn't have many of the vignettes we know and love (Marc Davis added those in the '60s) but was purely a tour of the jungle. I worry that a linear story that's 'meta' (now that WDI tries to be meta every chance they get) will weaken the immersion of being in the jungle.

I'm leaning on this replacing the native scene, it'd make the most sense with the new narrative. First see the crew on the other boat stuck in a bad situation and our skipper wonders what happened to the Congo Kate.->then the "dangerous" hippos that sunk the boat -> reveal of what happened to the other boat and monkeys.

There's also seems to be a bend in the river on the right something not present with the monkey encampment, but is present near the natives.

Again it seems weird to recycle a similar joke using similar apes (why not do a funny giraffe scene) unless if they're also replacing the encampment with something related to the new story.
Now that I think about it, since each section of the ride is based on a continent being broken up by the intersection of Switzer Falls, the African Gorilla Encampment Scene was sorta out of place being in the Asia section of the ride, right after the Asian Elephant Pool. Maybe a good opportunity to add in more Asian animals?

Of course, it's an attraction and we can suspend our disbelief either way. ;-)

mickEblu

The Jungle Cruise is a 100% experiential attraction. It doesn't need a linear story- and modern WDI doesn't understand how to integrate story into an attraction at all, relying on linear point a to point b stories like a movie (Mermaid is an example of this)

Attractions have to rely on emotional storytelling- taking the rider through a series of events that flow emotionally, rise in intensity, climax, then wind down before the end.

Looking at Pirates at Disneyland is the perfect example of this-

Bayou>Caverns>Ship battle>Town>Burning town with the song (climax)>jail/shootout/bayou (falling action/ending). It doesn't have a linear story but it does use the same basic elements of a story to create an attraction that's emotionally satisfying.

Mansion and Splash do this exceptionally well also.

Jungle Cruise is more rudimentary, initially it didn't have many of the vignettes we know and love (Marc Davis added those in the '60s) but was purely a tour of the jungle. I worry that a linear story that's 'meta' (now that WDI tries to be meta every chance they get) will weaken the immersion of being in the jungle.

Nailed it. Yeah I don’t know they need the feel to STORY everything. I’m hoping they re just adding more stuff/ content for the skippers to play off of but necessarily creating some silly storyline.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Similar to Redd, “Trader Sam” may remain but with possibly a new/changed look. I.e. imagine a revised appearance (trader Samantha anyone?). 😉

In all honesty none of these changes bother me. I just question why there is a sudden sense of urgency to push all these changes out all at once. Particularly during a pandemic when the parks are closed and revenue is minimal.

At least with this one there is potential “synergy” with the film’s release.

TP2000

Trader Sam has a bar named after him that's wildly successful, how does it make sense to remover Trader Sam?

No kidding. If having Trader Sam in the ride is a "negative depiction", then having a bar named after him is also negative depiction. They'll need to rename the bar at the Disneyland Hotel. And it can't be named after a man (that's misogynist), nor can it be named after someone native to the African continent (that's negative).

So let's all meet for drinks at Rosita's Hideaway, shall we?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom