Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member

UPDATE: It occurred to me after posting that Imagineering "could" bring back Trader Sam in a slightly different capacity now that Jungle Cruise has gifted him a curio shop scene. What if, they were to have a sleeping (on break) Sam stretch across a hammock at the back of the hut. Only seen as we pass by? The scene could play similarly to POTC's Hairy Leg Pirate where all we see of Sam is a map resting on his face bobbing up and down as if breathing shallow breath while he sleeps, his sunken body inside the hammock, with an arm dangling over the side clutching his iconic top hat and animated leg bobbing back and forth. The sign at the shop did say he'd be back in a few minutes. Perhaps he's out back taking a nap?

Sadly I don't think Disney is that creative anymore. My money's on something "Diverse"

Hooray! More litter theming!

Any guesses on what "very important piece" will be added? The crate to end all crates? Alberta Falls? King Louis? There's never enough primates!!! Kaa? Skipper Frank? Skipper Felix (reprise) or the rarest of jungle inhabitants, Trader Sam. Taking all bets now!

UPDATE: It occurred to me after posting that Imagineering could bring back Trader Sam in a slightly different capacity now that Jungle Cruise has gifted him a curio shop. What if they were to add a sleeping Sam AA stretched across a hammock behind the new shack? All we see of Sam is a book resting on his face, one arm dangling over the side clutching his iconic top hat. His body sunken inside the hammock as his belly moves up and down as he snores...

Perhaps he took a break to read a book and feel asleep inside his makeshift parachute hammock?

Is the most important piece.....THE ROCK?!

JustInTime

Hooray! More litter theming!

Any guesses on what "very important piece" will be added? The crate to end all crates? Alberta Falls? King Louis? There's never enough primates!!! Kaa? Skipper Frank? Skipper Felix (reprise) or the rarest of jungle inhabitants, Trader Sam. Taking all bets now!

UPDATE: It occurred to me after posting that Imagineering could bring back Trader Sam in a slightly different capacity now that Jungle Cruise has gifted him a curio shop. What if they were to add a sleeping Sam AA stretched across a hammock behind the new shack? All we see of Sam is a book resting on his face, one arm dangling over the side clutching his iconic top hat. His body sunken inside the hammock as his belly moves up and down as he snores...

Perhaps he took a break to read a book and feel asleep inside his makeshift parachute hammock?

The art showed Sam’s hat and umbrella. That’s still missing. So that would be my guess…

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Does it bother anyone else how drab the Chimp Boat scene looks compared to the concept art?
Artistic license? or Budget cuts?
For reference:
1626038827258.png

boat.png

Last edited:

owlsandcoffee

Does it bother anyone else how drab the Chimp Boat scene looks compared to the concept art?
Artistic license? or Budget cuts?

It does look less dynamic...I think two things stick out to me. One is that there is a LOT less color. Notice the splatter of paint on the boat's top in the concept art. Now just on the edge of the boat. Parallel to the viewer's sightline, not as obvious, not as interesting. I think it's a matter of what works well in 2d not working well in 3d, is all.

Also it's a different KIND of boat. The art is a WDW boat and the pic is a DL boat. Nice that they changed the boat to fit the specific park. Although the original Mekong Maiden looked different! I understand why they made it look current; sticks with the story.

Also I think we can see now that the Gift Shop gag was specifically designed for DL. You can clearly see all of it from the boat from what the video shows. Meanwhile in WDW you can't see the sign! Different view, same design, worse gag. Oh well.

UNCgolf

It does look less dynamic...I think two things stick out to me. One is that there is a LOT less color. Notice the splatter of paint on the boat's top in the concept art. Now just on the edge of the boat. Parallel to the viewer's sightline, not as obvious, not as interesting. I think it's a matter of what works well in 2d not working well in 3d, is all.

Also it's a different KIND of boat. The art is a WDW boat and the pic is a DL boat. Nice that they changed the boat to fit the specific park. Although the original Mekong Maiden looked different! I understand why they made it look current; sticks with the story.

Also I think we can see now that the Gift Shop gag was specifically designed for DL. You can clearly see all of it from the boat from what the video shows. Meanwhile in WDW you can't see the sign! Different view, same design, worse gag. Oh well.

One of the problems with their current one size fits all design philosophy.

It's also worrying regarding Splash Mountain, since the DL and WDW versions are different. I'm afraid they'll just port over whatever they do at DL without really caring if the scenes fit properly in the WDW version.

owlsandcoffee

It's also worrying regarding Splash Mountain, since the DL and WDW versions are different. I'm afraid they'll just port over whatever they do at DL without really caring if the scenes fit properly in the WDW version.
It's funny, WDW fans (me!) always say DL gets preferential treatment and DL fans always say the opposite!

Yep, I've been worrying about that too. I suppose with Splash there's a lot less depth so it'll be pretty 1:1. I, honestly, would prefer if they rebuilt splash in fantasyland to spec. That way the ride is designed with the new scenes in mind, and the theme AND IP can make sense. Obviously, as a fan, I would be mortified if they got rid of Tony Baxter's best ride (or second or third best, the guy has a good record) but they kind of already are.

UNCgolf

It's funny, WDW fans (me!) always say DL gets preferential treatment and DL fans always say the opposite!

Yep, I've been worrying about that too. I suppose with Splash there's a lot less depth so it'll be pretty 1:1. I, honestly, would prefer if they rebuilt splash in fantasyland to spec. That way the ride is designed with the new scenes in mind, and the theme AND IP can make sense. Obviously, as a fan, I would be mortified if they got rid of Tony Baxter's best ride (or second or third best, the guy has a good record) but they kind of already are.

They already closed his best ride a couple of decades ago, but yeah. Most of what he touched was very good.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

It doesn't appear sunken either which is proving problematic because guests are questioning if what they are seeing are two "different" boats instead of halves of the same boat. Don't believe me? Ask the dishes. No seriously. It's an issue. Here's hoping the MK version gets it right.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom