Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Roger_the_pianist

It will be neat if the movie has some elements that incorporate some of these additions to the ride that came out before the movie. For instance: the sinking boat, the cameraman monkey, the new characters on the pole, S.E.A. backstories.

I think we were just afraid an AA of THE ROCK would replace Trader Sam.

If I were a skipper, I would totally adlib a line:

(Points to a rock) "LOOK EVERYBODY. IT'S THE ROCK!!!"

Sharon&Susan

It will be neat if the movie has some elements that incorporate some of these additions to the ride that came out before the movie. For instance: the sinking boat, the cameraman monkey, the new characters on the pole, S.E.A. backstories.

I think we were just afraid an AA of THE ROCK would replace Trader Sam.

If I were a skipper, I would totally adlib a line:

(Points to a rock) "LOOK EVERYBODY. IT'S THE ROCK!!!"
I doubt it, I don't think the changes were even greenlit when they completed the movie last year.

See: the reference to the now long gone in the US Parks Native scene as seen in the first trailer.

JohnD

What I saw of the previews looked really good...I'm hoping the movie lives up to them. I don't, however, want to see Dwayne Johnson or any other people from the film added to the ride. It worked with Jack Sparrow, but that tactic will get old really fast if they do it over and over again. (And the Guardians coaster will have characters from the films right from the get-go.)
If I hear “Frank Wolff” (his name) every two seconds like “Jack Sparrow” in Pirates, I’ll go insane.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
underwhelming... The schtick wasn't very funny, the visuals were not an improvement and the Lost and Found scene plays completely unremarkable. If this were your first trip on the Jungle Cruise you would probably be wondering why you wasted your time.
Maybe it was just the filming...
They had all that time and this was the best they could come up with. Let that set in.

Movielover

I think most of the changes are fine even though I hate loosing our Trader Sam. I will agree that the boat rental scene is awful. It lacks any form of movement (as of time of this writing hopefully) and looses the sense of "isolation" in the jungle. I like the added wreckage in the hippo pool but I wonder if it's just because it reminds me of Amity 6 from the JAWS Ride... Can we get Spielberg to make a Hippo monster movie?

Animaniac93-98

Every time Disney finds a new buzzword they like, they repeat it ad nauseum and apply it to everything they do, even if it doesn't make sense. In 2019 it was "immersive". Everything was "immersive", even if it wasn't. This year it's "inclusive".

The changes to JC are a perfect example. The new scenes may be more visually interesting or funnier than what they replaced, but there's hardly anything "inclusive" about a scene with chimps playing with butterflies. It's new and different for sure, not worse than what it replaced, but it's hardly "inclusive". Only the changes to the trapped safari really fits that definition.

It's why people hate corporate nonsense-speak, and Disney is routinely guilty of it. Meaning well doesn't excuse them from undermining the social causes they claim to care so much about through superficial actions and clueless marketing drivel. They could have simply said that they think the changes are fun and will give guests a reason to come back, like when they added the piranhas.

The new video showing the updates looked good, but that script was pure cringe.

LittleBuford

Every time Disney finds a new buzzword they like, they repeat it ad nauseum and apply it to everything they do, even if it doesn't make sense. In 2019 it was "immersive". Everything was "immersive", even if it wasn't. This year it's "inclusive".

The changes to JC are a perfect example. The new scenes may be more visually interesting or funnier than what they replaced, but there's hardly anything "inclusive" about a scene with chimps playing with butterflies. It's new and different for sure, not worse than what it replaced, but it's hardly "inclusive". Only the changes to the trapped safari really fits that definition.

It's why people hate corporate nonsense-speak, and Disney is routinely guilty of it. Meaning well doesn't excuse them from undermining the social causes they claim to care so much about through superficial actions and clueless marketing drivel. They could have simply said that they think the changes are fun and will give guests a reason to come back, like when they added the piranhas.

The inclusivity lies in getting rid of scenes that were decidedly “othering” of non-white people. Issues with corporate speak aside, I’d say the changes they’ve made are indeed a win for inclusivity.

Haymarket2008

I’m reserving judgement until I ride it in person, and also the MK Jungle Cruise has a far better layout, but I’m liking what I’m seeing. I don’t trust the current powers that be to maintain an attraction’s integrity when they mandate an overhaul. Imagineering won out with this one: no film tie in and moderate refreshing. Sometimes a major overhaul isn’t what a ride needs. Keep what works and spruce it up a bit. This is an example of that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

By their actions, it's clear that "inclusive" is not just a buzz word for Disney.

It may get overused, but, it's not insincere fluff meant to pacify complaints.

FigmentJedi

Weird Al's Skipper Dan is canon now.

08524dabcd677ff97301f39a7103aee572ded558.jpg

James Alucobond

I really like what I'm seeing and will definitely enjoy this version more, but I will say that the one thing that bothers me (perhaps irrationally) is how they've treated the SEA character names. They keep putting their full names followed by their nicknames in quotation marks on everything, as if it wouldn't just be one or the other. It feels forced, as if someone not familiar with how names and nicknames work in English did all the labeling. I also feel there are a few too many places where things are printed or done in vinyl lettering that would've been more appropriate if written by hand. Minor complaints to be sure, but still.

ImperfectPixie

I really like what I'm seeing and will definitely enjoy this version more, but I will say that the one thing that bothers me (perhaps irrationally) is how they've treated the SEA character names. They keep putting their full names followed by their nicknames in quotation marks on everything, as if it wouldn't just be one or the other. It feels forced, as if someone not familiar with how names and nicknames work in English did all the labeling. I also feel there are a few too many places where things are printed or done in vinyl lettering that would've been more appropriate if written by hand. Minor complaints to be sure, but still.
I do hand-painted vehicle lettering...you wouldn't believe how many were so quick to want vinyl when it first started gaining popularity just because it was so much cheaper. I used to try to explain what happens to vinyl as it ages - it cracks, it peels, it fades...and you're stuck with large spots of dirty adhesive showing through your lettering. As opposed to hand-painted, which yes, fades over time, but is much more aesthetically pleasing even as it ages, and lasts far, far longer than vinyl lettering.

James Alucobond

I do hand-painted vehicle lettering...you wouldn't believe how many were so quick to want vinyl when it first started gaining popularity just because it was so much cheaper. I used to try to explain what happens to vinyl as it ages - it cracks, it peels, it fades...and you're stuck with large spots of dirty adhesive showing through your lettering. As opposed to hand-painted, which yes, fades over time, but is much more aesthetically pleasing even as it ages, and lasts far, far longer than vinyl lettering.
I guess I can't be certain if it's vinyl or anything, but it kind of looked like it to me on the easel, for instance. Even if not, I just think it's weird that it says, "Property of 'La Rosa' Rosa Soto Dominguez" in pristine letters, as if she wouldn't have just more haphazardly painted on, "Property of La Rosa". Same with a gift I saw in one of the chambers with a from/to tag that was fully typeset instead of having someone handwrite the character names.

ImperfectPixie

I guess I can't be certain if it's vinyl or anything, but it kind of looked like it to me on the easel, for instance. Even if not, I just think it's weird that it says, "Property of 'La Rosa' Rosa Soto Dominguez" in pristine letters, as if she wouldn't have just more haphazardly painted on, "Property of La Rosa". Same with a gift I saw in one of the chambers with a from/to tag that was fully typeset instead of having someone handwrite the character names.
I totally get that part, too. That kind of thing drives me bonkers.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

Hooray! More litter theming!

Any guesses on what "very important piece" will be added? The crate to end all crates? Alberta Falls? King Louis? There's never enough primates!!! Kaa? Skipper Frank? Skipper Felix (reprise) or the rarest of jungle inhabitants, Trader Sam. Taking all bets now!

UPDATE: It occurred to me after posting that Imagineering could bring back Trader Sam in a slightly different capacity now that Jungle Cruise has gifted him a curio shop. What if they were to add a sleeping Sam AA stretched across a hammock behind the new shack? All we see of Sam is a book resting on his face, one arm dangling over the side clutching his iconic top hat. His body sunken inside the hammock as his belly moves up and down as he snores...

Perhaps he took a break to read a book and feel asleep inside his makeshift parachute hammock?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom