Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

RSoxNo1

The people in Imagineering are just "yes-men" trying not to lose their jobs at this point. I could have designed a better show than Kite-Tails, drawn up a more thematically interesting narrative for the new fireworks shows, or pitched something more interesting than a rehashed and synergistic narrative of children's IP for a new attraction. To defend such poor park additions and attraction design, especially when Disney's competition is proving how far they're about to lag behind, reveals a purposeful blindness to the many issues that will drag these parks down with expensive mistakes. I could come up with a dozen better ideas that tearing out the middle of Epcot just to erect a building for the purpose of up charging guests with obscene prices for fireworks dessert parties.

I can't stand MMRR. It's a lazy and poorly executed attraction that fails to meet an entertaining standard.

1. Poor pacing, erupting into chaos and not allowing riders to register the scenes.

2. Terrible blending between the scenes, not to mention the floor and the walls. I can project something onto a flat surface too.

3. Thematically out of place with HWS. The GMR acted as a thesis statement for the park, yet MMRR being shoehorned in is an insult to the intellectual capacity of the guests.

4. Using trackless dark ride technology to create a largely linear experience. At this point, why not just put it on a track? There are plenty of examples showing to how use this technology in interesting and innovative ways.

People like it now because it's new I suspect, but I doubt it's going to age very well. Within 5 years people will be asking for a replacement I predict.
I'll call myself a defender of M&MRR. I'd put it third in that park's attraction lineup behind Rise and Tower. Your points aren't without merit, but I'd like to comment on each of them.

1. The pacing is in line with the cartoons. I think it's a bit of a personal preference. Take DCA's Tower of Terror vs. Guardians Mission Breakout. Some people prefer the better pacing of DCA's Tower, some people prefer the frenetic energy of Mission Breakout. With M&MRR the frenetic dark ride works for me.

2. The blending between the scenes. I can't really argue with your point here. I think it ties back to #1, but the Daisy scene for example is more of a showcase of the trackless tech than anything that fits in with the rest of the ride.

3. It should have been built elsewhere in the park or in Storybook Circus. Since DHS needed rides, GMR needed a substantial update and this should have been a new build in say the Animation Courtyard.

4. The one thing that Hunny Hunt does better than any other trackless ride is the Hephalump and Woozles scene. I believe the Daisy scene was an attempt to showcase this, but certainly doesn't compare. The real scene to have done this should have been the Tornado sequence. That was a missed opportunity for a truly impressive sequence.

The ride's popularity probably has some recency bias, but I do enjoy it. Having said that, by removing GMR the park lacks those calm, passive experiences. While I think the park has improved dramatically over the last few years there is an imbalance in the attraction lineup that could be fixed with an omnimover and/or a boatride.

Incomudro

Yeah, I wouldn’t describe M:S as a bad ride at all. In fact the intense side (orange right?) is actually pretty impressive and unique in terms of a theme park ride by recreating the feeling of actual astronaut training. Now I get that isn’t for everyone and a lot of folks can’t handle it, but it wouldn’t achieve its goal if it weren’t appropriately intense.
My thoughts exactly.

UNCgolf

I'll call myself a defender of M&MRR. I'd put it third in that park's attraction lineup behind Rise and Tower. Your points aren't without merit, but I'd like to comment on each of them.

I think I'd also place it third there, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to a lack of really good attractions at DHS. It wouldn't make my top 3 at Animal Kingdom (another park with a lack of attractions) and certainly wouldn't at the Magic Kingdom. The only other park where it might crack the top 3 is Epcot, which is also lacking in quality attractions at the moment. It wouldn't have come close to even the top 5 at Epcot in the mid-1990s.

Still, though, it's a decent attraction that's better than most other rides they've built in the past decade+.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I think I'd also place it third there, but I'm not sure how much of that is due to a lack of really good attractions at DHS. It wouldn't make my top 3 at Animal Kingdom (another park with a lack of attractions) and certainly wouldn't at the Magic Kingdom. The only other park where it might crack the top 3 is Epcot, which is also lacking in quality attractions at the moment. It wouldn't have come close to even the top 5 at Epcot in the mid-1990s.

Still, though, it's a decent attraction that's better than most other rides they've built in the past decade+.
I wouldn't put any EPCOT attractions ahead of M&MRR right now. EPCOT doesn't have a top 10 attraction in WDW right now.

UNCgolf

I wouldn't put any EPCOT attractions ahead of M&MRR right now. EPCOT doesn't have a top 10 attraction in WDW right now.

I'd put Spaceship Earth above MMRR and I think I'd put Living with the Land above it too, although I think it's kind of hard/unfair to compare LwtL to other attractions (this is also true for the safari). Those are the only two I'd definitely prefer to ride over MMRR that currently exist at Epcot, though, unless we're counting American Adventure -- that would slot ahead of MMRR as well.

Last edited:

Gen X Kay

Nobody that I know asked for a Moana Water Experience. With what little information we’ve been given, it just seems to be more water to walk around in Epcot. I mean we already have to walk around the lake and every person comes out tired after all, because it’s not such a small world showcase after all. I would like to see some kind of covered people mover for inside the park, similar to the people mover but one that takes you around the world showcase. Our favorite part of Epcot is Soarin and then going to the Japan area. (We used to be able to go to WDW when it was still a good value for staying on property and paying thousands to fly, stay, play and dine. I hear it’s gotten stressful, more expensive and very complicated!) I’ve been hoping for a Jungle Book ride in Animal Kingdom and a Cave of Wonders ride in any park for ages. I don’t think they’ll ever make them. 😭😭😭 I would have rather had a Cherry Tree Lane Mary Poppins anything rather than this. It may end up being beautiful, but it seems Tokyo Disneyland has much better theming. Have you seen the pictures of the Alice in Wonderland inspired areas at their hotels and restaurants? It’s sooo nice.

TikibirdLand

Nobody that I know asked for a Moana Water Experience. With what little information we’ve been given, it just seems to be more water to walk around in Epcot. I mean we already have to walk around the lake and every person comes out tired after all, because it’s not such a small world showcase after all. I would like to see some kind of covered people mover for inside the park, similar to the people mover but one that takes you around the world showcase. Our favorite part of Epcot is Soarin and then going to the Japan area. (We used to be able to go to WDW when it was still a good value for staying on property and paying thousands to fly, stay, play and dine. I hear it’s gotten stressful, more expensive and very complicated!) I’ve been hoping for a Jungle Book ride in Animal Kingdom and a Cave of Wonders ride in any park for ages. I don’t think they’ll ever make them. 😭😭😭 I would have rather had a Cherry Tree Lane Mary Poppins anything rather than this. It may end up being beautiful, but it seems Tokyo Disneyland has much better theming. Have you seen the pictures of the Alice in Wonderland inspired areas at their hotels and restaurants? It’s sooo nice.
Wouldn't it be great to have some kind of ground transportation in World Showcase? Maybe something like a London Bus. I guess that's not possible. ;)

I'm as rabid to visit Cherry Tree Lane as the Star Wars fans are to visit Tatooine. They got Batuu instead. But, still...

Incomudro

I sort of asked for it.
I'm all for tearing down buildings that haven't been used, and would never have a good, entertaining, functional use - and returning it to a more natural looking walk through that leads to The Seas.
Out with the cold, dystopian city scape.

TikibirdLand

I sort of asked for it.
I'm all for tearing down buildings that haven't been used, and would never have a good, entertaining, functional use - and returning it to a more natural looking walk through that leads to The Seas.
To you, it might be a cold, dystopian city scape. To me, it's -- at this point -- retro 50's futurism. Had they actually used Comunicore and Innoventions for what they're named for, they could make any science museum blush. Just like Animal Kingdom, re-imagining those concepts for this millenium would have made the front of EPCoT so much better. it could have been a real Future World. Instead, let's make more room for more food and wine booths. Now, there's imagination for 'ya!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I sort of asked for it.

Well then the Communicore buildings are not what you are talking about.

Did you experience EPCOT Center in the 80's, or see pictures from the central spine from that decade? Hardly a "cold, dystopian cityscape".

Seriously, how do people get these notions of what EPCOT Center was? 🤦‍♂️ :banghead:

doctornick

I sort of asked for it.

I'm with you. A lush natural area that (hopefully?) has edutainment value and works as a compliment to the Seas? Instead of a non-descript building with unremarkable exhibits inside? Sign me up.

This attraction looks beautiful from the concept art.

Bocabear

Sure there may be a lush tropical landscape in the space of one corner of what they tore down, and then the rest will just be a sprawling empty event lawn placeholder for an expansion in 7 or 8 years...

Incomudro

I'm with you. A lush natural area that (hopefully?) has edutainment value and works as a compliment to the Seas? Instead of a non-descript building with unremarkable exhibits inside? Sign me up.

This attraction looks beautiful from the concept art.
Exhibits that no one would want to go in and look at because:
1) People really don't want to look at tech exhibits in a theme park anymore.
2) Even if people wanted to, parks are so busy most of the time - it's extremely difficult t get to, and get your hands on those kinds of exhibits anymore.

Incomudro

Well then the Communicore buildings are not what you are talking about.

Did you experience EPCOT Center in the 80's, or see pictures from the central spine from that decade? Hardly a "cold, dystopian cityscape".

Seriously, how do people get these notions of what EPCOT Center was? 🤦‍♂️ :banghead:
I did, it was wonderful - my favorite park at the time.
The 80's were some 40 years ago, we're not going back.
Those of us who saw Epcot when it was more planted, and had more water should be happy to see the return of natural looking areas.

TikibirdLand

Exhibits that no one would want to go in and look at because:
1) People really don't want to look at tech exhibits in a theme park anymore.
2) Even if people wanted to, parks are so busy most of the time - it's extremely difficult t get to, and get your hands on those kinds of exhibits anymore.

Seems #1 and #2 are opposites. #1 says, no one will go to these exhibits. #2 says the park is so busy you'll never be able to get to the exhibits. Which one is it? if it's #2, doesn't that say it would be at least somewhat successful?

RSoxNo1

I'd put Spaceship Earth above MMRR and I think I'd put Living with the Land above it too, although I think it's kind of hard/unfair to compare LwtL to other attractions (this is also true for the safari). Those are the only two I'd definitely prefer to ride over MMRR that currently exist at Epcot, though, unless we're counting American Adventure -- that would slot ahead of MMRR as well.
I did this exercise fairly recently, and I think the 10-15 range is where EPCOT's top attractions as well as M&MRR slot in. The greater point here is there DHS' top 3 is significantly better than EPCOT's. If EPCOT is to compete on attraction lineup it needs the following:

- Guardians needs to be a top 5 ride in WDW
- SSE needs a refurb that improves upon the current ride
- The Imagination overhaul needs to be green lit as soon as possible and it needs to be better than M&MRR
- Less critical, but a Seas update was definitely on the books and that needs to be an improvement over what was there as well.

Bob Chapek said that EPCOT needs things to do for families. That's not really true at all. It has more to do for families than any other park other than MK, the problem is the attractions themselves are weaker. You can hop to EPCOT and crank out 4-5 Not Future World attractions in a few hours, but none of them are going to resonate with kids anywhere near as much as Runaway Railway does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom