Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Incomudro

I make this argument when people complain about my 50+ year old land-yachts. Their carbon footprint today is less than any of the hybrids or EVs that are currently on the market. My point? use what you have efficiently. Don't rip down a perfectly good building to put in a bunch of plants and think yourself "green". BTW, never saw Communicore as office-building-like. I saw it as more long lost opportunities.
Not that I care, but the carbon footprint and other emission levels of 50 year old cars are far in excess of any internal combustion engined cars of today, or even 20 years ago.
Anyway...
Use the buildings for what?

DisneyNorthFan

I guess I'm a little less doom & gloom on the idea. It's taken some adjustment, but I'm looking forward to the more organic layout to Future World, as a balance to the structure of the entry and World Showcase. I don't see JoM as a replacement for an attraction, so I'm not bothered by the (small) scale. There are still options to add attractions to Epcot, which I agree are needed - and perhaps this location is not the best place for them, anyway. But for what it is, I think JoM is a nice addition.

J4546

I agree, and theyve added a major pavilion expansion with eticket trackless dark ride, creperie, and merch. Theyve added a new space themed food option that looks amazing (imo) Theyre adding a major e ticket 1 of a kind storytelling largest indoor rollercoaster in the world, completely redeveloped the entry/middle of park with great fountain, lighting, new stores and food, rethemed massive interactive play pavilion (although covid has slowed that down for obvious reasons) new harmonious lake show and alot more....and all people do is complain lol

im glad theyre putting some long overdue money into the park and besides harmonious im happy with everything thats happening so far.

trainplane3

This was just going to be shops and restaurant? No attraction?

I sincerely don't get why this is obviously better other than it is something geared toward adults and not children.
I'll let Martin post his diagram but there was going to be a theater, meet+greet space, and robot stuff in West. Play area, band space, and booze carts by the fountain.

*Unless you lost it @marni1971, then I'll post it*

DreamfinderGuy

This was just going to be shops and restaurant? No attraction?
As Trainplane said there was going to be an attraction on the same plot as Journey of Water, but also, what we're getting already is nothing more than shops and restaurants outside of Journey of Water. That's all the whole East building is, and even if it were still happening that's all the Festival Center would be too.

Creathir

Phew. Found it:
So ridiculous.
What an absolute waste of money and resources.
And think of the environmental impact. Disney likes to tout being environmentally responsible, but then they turn around and completely knock down an existing structure, for no reason, other than to plan to build something of little to no value.

Why not just build the bar on the SW quadrant (or SW and SE quadrants) roof and offer that for the upcharge area?

Just so shortsighted and wasteful.

jt04

I'm convinced more than ever they had to open up the walkways around 'past future world' to grow the park, add new attractions and potentially new WS lands. Progress. 🌇🌆🌃🌌

Incomudro

So ridiculous.
What an absolute waste of money and resources.
And think of the environmental impact. Disney likes to tout being environmentally responsible, but then they turn around and completely knock down an existing structure, for no reason, other than to plan to build something of little to no value.

Why not just build the bar on the SW quadrant (or SW and SE quadrants) roof and offer that for the upcharge area?

Just so shortsighted and wasteful.
They knocked them down because they were useless.
Their time has passed.

TikibirdLand

Not that I care, but the carbon footprint and other emission levels of 50 year old cars are far in excess of any internal combustion engined cars of today, or even 20 years ago.
Anyway...
Use the buildings for what?
add the manufacturing cost of a modern car to the equation and you may not be able to say that.

Incomudro

Well, then why did they leave the other one up?
Because there's use for some of them, but not all of them.
The time to fill up buildings with edutainment ideas of what the future is going to bring has long expired.
One thing that was glaringly obvious to me when I first took the kids to Epcot some 10 years ago, was that it looked dated.
I used to really love it, but it (parts of it) looked stark and dated.
I'm greatly looking forward to a naturalistic looking side of this park.
Lush, green, water...

James Alucobond

Phew. Found it:
While I certainly have fewer problems with what they're currently doing than most, seeing the disconnected breezeways here makes me even more puzzled as to why, even if everything to be included was mandated from the top down, they didn't simply demolish both of the southern buildings in this concept to meet the requirement of cutting the CommuniCore footprint by half while also making way for a centered table-bar. Journey of Water could've still gone in the southwest (perhaps with a leaping fountain section leading to Imagination, extensive rockwork leading to The Land, and a more robust water section pointing toward The Seas), and various kiosks with a more futuristic design could've gone in the southeast. Not an architect, but color me confused.

No Name

The time to fill up buildings with edutainment ideas of what the future is going to bring has long expired.
One thing that was glaringly obvious to me when I first took the kids to Epcot some 10 years ago, was that it looked dated.
Lush, green, water...
If one looks dated so does the other. I wish the Epcot grand plan was actually a full solid plan.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Lush, green, water...

Imagine if they weren’t neglected for 20+ years. The buildings had/have plenty of useful life left in them, it’s the utter failure of multiple management teams to properly utilize them.

James Alucobond

Imagine if they weren’t neglected for 20+ years. The buildings had/have plenty of useful life left in them, it’s the utter failure of multiple management teams to properly utilize them.
I'm sure everyone agrees that the negligence is deplorable. However, rehabilitation of existing structures isn't the only acceptable (or even correct) response to it. They obviously assessed how much space they had, how much they were spending on maintenance, and how much measurable profit/value/overall customer satisfaction it was driving and decided partial demolition was preferable. We can and should debate how they could be doing better or using the space and existing structures more efficiently, and it's fine to demand more if what they produce doesn't meet guest standards. That's the purpose of this thread, after all. Continuously bringing up past negligence is kind of pointless, though. They lived with this space in decay for a quarter century and decided it wasn't working for them as originally conceived; no matter what they did, it wasn't going back to its original form, so bemoaning that is rather pointless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom