Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Incomudro

I've been watching the preview videos and, to me, the attraction lacks a climax of sorts. It just kicks you out after some mist effects and a splash pad. I mean, it could do with a finale that shows of the power and beauty of water and makes you go Wow. Something a bit like this maybe.
I'm quite happy with almost everything they are doing with this attraction and the spine, with one exception: The deletion of The Fountain of Nations - or not putting an equivalent in its spot.

Disstevefan1

I've been watching the preview videos and, to me, the attraction lacks a climax of sorts. It just kicks you out after some mist effects and a splash pad. I mean, it could do with a finale that shows of the power and beauty of water and makes you go Wow. Something a bit like this maybe.
Ah, the good old days. Could you imagine the show they could have done with SSE with its points of light along with the fountain of nations.

Oh well, I heard they are putting a lot of landscaping in. That’s good right?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Journey of Water Inspired by Moana photos​

Here is a photo walk-through

Journey-of-Water-Inspired-by-Moana_Full_52932.jpg

Journey-of-Water-Inspired-by-Moana_Full_52896.jpg

Journey-of-Water-Inspired-by-Moana_Full_52898.jpg

Journey-of-Water-Inspired-by-Moana_Full_52905.jpg

Journey-of-Water-Inspired-by-Moana_Full_52914.jpg

Journey-of-Water-Inspired-by-Moana_Full_52919.jpg

More at https://www.wdwmagic.com/attraction...urney-of-water-inspired-by-moana-overview.htm

TheMaxRebo

The “inspired by Moana” reads so similarly to “sponsored by Siemens”.

I guess IP is the only “sponsor” that will allow a new attraction to be built… lol

I felt like "inspired" was an odd term to use as I never got the feeling of "this happens in Moana that inspired the creation of this attraction" - much more that they had this concept and then added the IP to it. It fits pretty well, but really just happens to have Moana elements added to it (in the carvings, on the signage, etc) - never fully ties it to the events of the film

in some ways "sponsored" or "featuring" would fit better

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
My cast preview was yesterday. I honestly think there's not much for me to say about the experience itself that hasn't already been said; it's a pleasing area with fun effects that will be great for families looking to cool off. But I do have one pretty interesting observation on all of this and maybe an unpopular take. If Disney really wants to convince the theme park fans and even general public that the "neighborhoods" (dumb name) of Future World are distinct areas, they need to do more things like this to establish a unique visual identity and physical boundaries for those areas. Everyone in the world will tell you that this feels like it belongs in Animal Kingdom or Adventureland and I believe that's not a coincidence. The designers of this were clearly given the task to help establish "World Nature" as a lush and vibrant area and I think it works well towards that goal. I know the Epcot overhaul in general has been pretty disappointing, but in a vacuum this is a good experience that doesn't feel like a shrunken and budget cut mess. I just wish the same could be said of everything else happening at Epcot.

TheMaxRebo

My cast preview was yesterday. I honestly think there's not much for me to say about the experience itself that hasn't already been said; it's a pleasing area with fun effects that will be great for families looking to cool off. But I do have one pretty interesting observation on all of this and maybe an unpopular take. If Disney really wants to convince the theme park fans and even general public that the "neighborhoods" (dumb name) of Future World are distinct areas, they need to do more things like this to establish a unique visual identity and physical boundaries for those areas. Everyone in the world will tell you that this feels like it belongs in Animal Kingdom or Adventureland and I believe that's not a coincidence. The designers of this were clearly given the task to help establish "World Nature" as a lush and vibrant area and I think it works well towards that goal. I know the Epcot overhaul in general has been pretty disappointing, but in a vacuum this is a good experience that doesn't feel like a shrunken and budget cut mess. I just wish the same could be said of everything else happening at Epcot.

Reminded me that I noticed on the monorail ride to Epcot, when you do the circle tour before getting to the station the audio still calls it "Future World" ... hard for us to use the new neighborhoods if Disney doesn't lol

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Reminded me that I noticed on the monorail ride to Epcot, when you do the circle tour before getting to the station the audio still calls it "Future World" ... hard for us to use the new neighborhoods if Disney doesn't lol
Agreed. I also think "neighborhoods" is an odd term since thematically its not supposed to be like there are residents here. And the naming convention of "World: Descriptor" does not roll off the tongue well at all. World Showcase is named as such because it is literally a showcase of the world, not a world with a showcase. In general if they wanted these areas to feel more distinct then I would also use more distinct names; for example something like "nature grotto" or "nature springs" rolls off the tongue better imo.

In the Parks
No
Agreed. I also think "neighborhoods" is an odd term since thematically its not supposed to be like there are residents here. And the naming convention of "World: Descriptor" does not roll off the tongue well at all. World Showcase is named as such because it is literally a showcase of the world, not a world with a showcase. In general if they wanted these areas to feel more distinct then I would also use more distinct names; for example something like "nature grotto" or "nature springs" rolls off the tongue better imo.
I suspect the use of the term "neighborhoods" was supposed to be a very subtle callback to the original concept of EPCOT Center (the community).

WorldExplorer

I am sure this exhibit is fine but how could it take priority over a real solution to the Imagination pavilion first? It’s so bad! And they are using figment as a marketing connection all the time at Epcot.

See, that's the problem. People already snatch up his stuff like hotcakes, so if you're looking at things just from the point of view of money (as the people in charge clearly are) why bother changing him?

TheMaxRebo

The giant wave effect created by groups seems like the finale

It is the last big effect but then there is the spray ground also int that area and some other stuff and then a short passage leading out

It's not a huge deal or anything but also think a small closure element (like the goodbye wall at Small World or something) to more clearly indicate the end and an invitation to return, etc would be welcome

In the Parks
No
One thing that isn't really clear from the pictures I've seen: the "wetland" section that has the dry path option...is the wet path just water seeping across the ground from left to right? Can someone who has been there clarify? If so, I feel like I've experienced that at night in Fantasyland after the fireworks for years!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom