Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Incomudro

I have said that I don’t agree with its placement inside the monorail ring, but it is also generally fairly invisible. The only entrance and exit are tucked away in a corner that was previously a dead end exclusively for Coral Reef Restaurant access, so it disturbs basically nothing pre-existing within World Nature and has very little visual interplay with other pavilions.
You nailed one of my points.
It's presence if you don't like it - disturbs nothing.
Don't enter it, if you object to it and you're merely passing some trees, rockwork, and landscaping.

Disstevefan1

This would have been awesome if scaled down and put in the Polynesian lobby instead of what they did.. or even on the grounds paths around the Poly. Or like I said before, an exhibit at the airport.

Watching the videos I can't help but wonder if they had all these imagineers that worked on Interactive queues... and after they realized the concepts didn't work for an effective attraction queue, they said... well what these ideas WERE THE ATTRACTION!?!?
Trophy.png

Phicinfan

Funny, I don't recall saying anything like that.
No? Did I copy the wrong person?
Forcing a square peg through a round hole yelling "accept change!" doesn't make it good or right.
Its not a square peg. Just because you see it as one. I see it as a good fit in Edjutainment
I'm not judging this at all based on change. I'm judging this based on what the front half of EPCOT is as a theme park that is supposed to make me want to visit. I see a huge swath of EPCOT that is like ... why would I pay to visit this? If I want to walk through a pretty park, we have city parks for that. I see a label 'world of ..' system that is weak and meaningless. I still see the front half of EPCOT anchored by these large pavilions and want purpose in the layout how I move from thing to thing.
Why would this NOT make you want to visit? Its an interactive walk through discussion of the importance of water and preservation of it in our world. You know the things we used to laud about Epcot.
Here I see a HUGE thing... that is so small in it's influence on my desire to visit. And in my book, that's a huge fail for Disney.
Ok, fine for you, but many of us see this as a solid add, would we have preferred a full attraction, sure. But between this and an empty building they were doing nothing with, I am full game here

Phicinfan

Everything in Epcot Center (Save for Imagination) was about the future of each topic area. "How do we make this better for the future" If there is something in the Way of Water that talks about how water will drive the future in some way (growth, human advancement, etc) then I will gladly eat humble pie. Epcot Center specifically was mostly about achieving human growth through technology advancement. Remember, as Walt said "EPCOT will take its cue from the new ideas and new technologies that are now emerging from the creative centers of American industry. It will be a community of tomorrow that will never be completed, but will always be introducing and testing and demonstrating new materials and systems. And EPCOT will always be a showcase to the world for the ingenuity and imagination of American free enterprise." I know that this is no longer called Future World, however, if I may be so bold, the people that feel that this does not belong in Epcot expect the things that are put in Epcot to follow the original vision for Epcot Center which ended up becoming a test bed approach for the original E.P.C.O.T. a fact that the designers of transformation really pushed hard to have us believe. So, under that premise, the Moana walk through does not belong in Epcot. Does it ultimately belong in what the transformation ended up becoming? Of course, they could put anything in Epcot at this point.

BTW: if I look at this photo and were a novice to Disney Parks, I'd truly think I was looking at a photo from Animal Kingdom and not at all Epcot! :
View attachment 740166
But that Epcot is gone. Done. Doesn't exist.
In the end you have instead a central area that will be different. I get that.
But to hate this just because it is, is self defeating.
They have changed Epcot front completely, and as part of the World of Nature they have added a what seems nice walk through attraction that allows guests to interact with water and learn the importance of it.

You all want to rail on Epcot change have at it. Epcot of old was left to rot and it is totally sad. But to just hate this for that is a bit beneath us isn't it?

In the Parks
No
I give it 3 to 6 months max.
They must have planned for this though, right? Nobody wants to ride a barely-functioning attraction, let alone walk-through an interactive space where the interactivity is disabled.
You all want to rail on Epcot change have at it. Epcot of old was left to rot and it is totally sad. But to just hate this for that is a bit beneath us isn't it?
Epcot has been dead for a long time. I'm kind of puzzled by it now.

Disstevefan1

But that Epcot is gone. Done. Doesn't exist.
In the end you have instead a central area that will be different. I get that.
But to hate this just because it is, is self defeating.
They have changed Epcot front completely, and as part of the World of Nature they have added a what seems nice walk through attraction that allows guests to interact with water and learn the importance of it.

There is the use of the word hate again. I checked the post, the word hate was not used. Hate is such a strong and specific word and when folks use it too much, it loses its meaning.

No one hates this (attraction?).

Some folks may think its an over rated splash pad, it shouldn't be in EPCOT, its just an IP insertion into EPCOT, its silly, stupid, it will be a maintenance nightmare, it took WAY TOO LONG to build, it cost WAY TOO MONEY to build, the water treatment plant looks bad and tales up too much space, but no one hates this (attraction?).

Phicinfan

There is the use of the word hate again. I checked the post, the word hate was not used. Hate is such a strong and specific word and when folks use it too much, it loses its meaning.
I will agree to this, Hate is a bit too strong for what has been posted here. My bad
No one hates this (attraction?).
Hang on now, not sure I agree with this. I do believe there are some who do.
Some folks may think its an over rated splash pad, it shouldn't be in EPCOT, its just an IP insertion into EPCOT, its silly, stupid, it will be a maintenance nightmare, it took WAY TOO LONG to build, it cost WAY TOO MONEY to build, the water treatment plant looks bad and tales up too much space, but no one hates this (attraction?).
Here is where you and I fully disagree. It does fit in Epcot, in fact it fits better in Epcot than the last two attractions added do. It is in World of Nature, and it is tied to that. It fits. This isn't Future world anymore. This is World of Nature and this ties to what is done in Seas and Land pavilion.

I will agree it took too long to build, won't defend Disney for all the delays.
I will wait to see the cost, as to my knowledge we haven't heard cost. - and to assume its too much is questionable at best.
As for the latter, lets see what gets completed and THEN judge the esoterics.

Disstevefan1

I will agree to this, Hate is a bit too strong for what has been posted here. My bad

Hang on now, not sure I agree with this. I do believe there are some who do.

Here is where you and I fully disagree. It does fit in Epcot, in fact it fits better in Epcot than the last two attractions added do. It is in World of Nature, and it is tied to that. It fits. This isn't Future world anymore. This is World of Nature and this ties to what is done in Seas and Land pavilion.

I will agree it took too long to build, won't defend Disney for all the delays.
I will wait to see the cost, as to my knowledge we haven't heard cost. - and to assume its too much is questionable at best.
As for the latter, lets see what gets completed and THEN judge the esoterics.
All reasonable responses. 👍 I will stick with my opinion that no one hates this (attraction?).

Maybe its that I hate the word hate :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
No? Did I copy the wrong person?
I don't have the energy to research what you think you saw... my posts are here to see.

Its not a square peg. Just because you see it as one. I see it as a good fit in Edjutainment
Theme parks are more than just 'is it cute or fun?'

Why would this NOT make you want to visit? Its an interactive walk through discussion of the importance of water and preservation of it in our world. You know the things we used to laud about Epcot.

Then I would have connected it in some fashion to the massive honkin pavilions around it... the one about the land, and the one about the sea. Instead... we get rando Polynesian side-bar here. With little connectivity between it and the area it is surrounded by. Like a mall kiosk.

Ok, fine for you, but many of us see this as a solid add, would we have preferred a full attraction, sure. But between this and an empty building they were doing nothing with, I am full game here
Enjoy your bone...

I'd rather see this kind of massive investment into something of better substance.. and scale down this 'journey of water' into the small display it should have been. Instead of spending tens of millions on this, build this small and do something of interest.

Disney Analyst

Theme parks are more than just 'is it cute or fun?'

I think this where you are categorically wrong, but I respect if thats your opinion or what you want in a theme park.

To me, a well executed theme park should have everything from big "WOWS" to the simple "cute or fun" experiences.

Different sensory levels, different experience levels, variations of things to do.

That's what makes an interesting, dynamic, and appealing theme park. That's what makes a Disney Park. A place where there are experiences for everyone, at various ages.

dothebrdwalk

This would have been awesome if scaled down and put in the Polynesian lobby instead of what they did.. or even on the grounds paths around the Poly. Or like I said before, an exhibit at the airport.

Watching the videos I can't help but wonder if they had all these imagineers that worked on Interactive queues... and after they realized the concepts didn't work for an effective attraction queue, they said... well what these ideas WERE THE ATTRACTION!?!?
at the AIRPORT?! ......

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Looks beautiful.
A planted, naturalistic area you can stroll through to remove yourself from the more barren concrete expanses of Epcot.
I swear... Does the butterfly area in the Flowers and Garden time confuse and annoy people on the board too?
Not during the flower and garden festival because…

wait for it…

It’s themed to it.

TTA94

For those that know and serious question, Does the water that people are touching get filtered or treated? Or are you basically touching contaminated water? Yes I know they have signed up saying not to drink the water but you’d think they would still treat the water from causing people to catch diseases and infections. Pretty sure kids will get that water on their face, eyes and possibly in their mouth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom