Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

sy278

Animal Kingdom is dedicated to and themed around natural environment and animal conservation. It has a lot more to do with AK than it does "Future World" in EPCOT

I believe Disney's plan is to have 4 Magic Kingdom-like parks, just with different icons
But its not in Future world as that no longer exists. Its on the borders of World Celebration and World Nature - sounds like a fit to me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not saying they haven’t lost the plot with the overarching EPCOT narrative, but particular styles have never really been bound to specific parks. The pavilion, attraction, or land defines the style.
So what do you say when it’s something placed just in the middle of other things (communicore, seas, land, jii) that all have a different aesthetic?

It’s not a different land - it’s literally in the walkway inbetween otherwise shared designs

flynnibus

Premium Member
Saying JoW should be in DAK not only misses that JoW doesn't have animals, but mistaking Disney Animal Kingdom as Disney Jungle Kingdom.

Just because most of DAK is tropical jungles doesn't mean that anything that is tropical-jungle-ish belongs in DAK.
If dak were purely about animals… they sure screwed up in pandora…. And can get rid of all that conservation jargon clogging up the park.

Don’t know how they put a tree as the central icon of a park that really should only a animals! What loons!

James Alucobond

So what do you say when it’s something placed just in the middle of other things (communicore, seas, land, jii) that all have a different aesthetic?

It’s not a different land - it’s literally in the walkway inbetween otherwise shared designs
I have said that I don’t agree with its placement inside the monorail ring, but it is also generally fairly invisible. The only entrance and exit are tucked away in a corner that was previously a dead end exclusively for Coral Reef Restaurant access, so it disturbs basically nothing pre-existing within World Nature and has very little visual interplay with other pavilions.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Love it. Can't wait to see it in person. Reminds me of an exhibit we'd see in the Field Museum here at home.

And before I'm quoted 58 times (by the same people ;) ) I don't care that it's in Epcot and not Animal Kingdom. Sue me.
That's the problem. EPCOT isn't a regional museum/attraction, it's a global attraction in the biggest theme park resort in the world.

dreday3

That's the problem. EPCOT isn't a regional museum/attraction, it's a global attraction in the biggest theme park resort in the world.

Respectfully, it's not a problem for me. (also, the Field Museum in Chicago (not that you would have known that's what I was talking about) is probably one of the most visited museums in the world so I meant it as a compliment)

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Respectfully, it's not a problem for me. (also, the Field Museum in Chicago (not that you would have known that's what I was talking about) is probably one of the most visited museums in the world so I meant it as a compliment)

The problem with the Field Museum comparison is the attendance.

I mentioned above that I think this looks like it would be great at a nice zoo or science/natural history museum (like the Field) -- it looks fine at Disney too -- it's just that it doesn't seem like it was designed with the proper scale. There are just too many people at EPCOT every day for this to work well unless it's really unpopular (and I don't think will be unpopular).

Everything about the design is tailored towards a relatively small number of people experiencing it at their leisure and that just doesn't seem workable at Disney attendance levels.

dreday3

I mentioned above that I think this looks like it would be great at a nice zoo or science/natural history museum (like the Field) -- it looks fine at Disney too -- it's just that it doesn't seem like it was designed with the proper scale. There are just too many people at EPCOT every day for this to work well unless it's really unpopular (and I don't think will be unpopular).

Everything about the design is tailored towards a relatively small number of people experiencing it at their leisure and that just doesn't seem workable at Disney attendance levels.

I've read all the concerns about that, but my own thoughts are after the initial newness wears off, it won't feel overcrowded at all. At worst, will be like the trails at AK, and you just wait for people to move on before you can view.

Honestly, nothing in Epcot has ever felt overcrowded to me besides lines for the food.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I see it like the old kids playgrounds or the like... Not something you build a global theme park around… but nice side dishes to go with your main meal. Over the the side, pleasant add-ons.

The problem here is… its so out of place and lacking real meat to put it in it’s rightful place as a side dish

UNCgolf

I've read all the concerns about that, but my own thoughts are after the initial newness wears off, it won't feel overcrowded at all. At worst, will be like the trails at AK, and you just wait for people to move on before you can view.

Honestly, nothing in Epcot has ever felt overcrowded to me besides lines for the food.

It doesn't seem like it has as much space as the animal trails, though, and with the animal trails you can usually have dozens of people viewing the animals at the same time. It seems like here at least some of the interactive elements can only be used by a couple of people.

Hopefully you're right though!

Disstevefan1

Agreed, Moana will be a one and done (attraction?) and once the population sees its a nothing burger, it will be a nice peaceful area to check your Genie + app.

Phicinfan

I see it like the old kids playgrounds or the like... Not something you build a global theme park around… but nice side dishes to go with your main meal. Over the the side, pleasant add-ons.

The problem here is… its so out of place and lacking real meat to put it in it’s rightful place as a side dish
So those who yearn for classic Epcot - and Edjutainment return, don't like this push back toward edjutainment? Because a slight IP is tied to this?

In the new updated Epcot, where this is clearly in the Nature area(it is by map folks, even if you say its still core its not now..) How does this not fit?

Could it have fit better if between Seas and Land, yes maybe. But it is in that same general area, and some really need to accept the fact that Epcot is changing.

I will be there next week, I wish I could figure out a way to get a sneak peek of it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom