Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

flynnibus

Premium Member
So those who yearn for classic Epcot - and Edjutainment return, don't like this push back toward edjutainment? Because a slight IP is tied to this?
Funny, I don't recall saying anything like that.

In the new updated Epcot, where this is clearly in the Nature area(it is by map folks, even if you say its still core its not now..) How does this not fit?

Could it have fit better if between Seas and Land, yes maybe. But it is in that same general area, and some really need to accept the fact that Epcot is changing.

Forcing a square peg through a round hole yelling "accept change!" doesn't make it good or right.

I'm not judging this at all based on change. I'm judging this based on what the front half of EPCOT is as a theme park that is supposed to make me want to visit. I see a huge swath of EPCOT that is like ... why would I pay to visit this? If I want to walk through a pretty park, we have city parks for that. I see a label 'world of ..' system that is weak and meaningless. I still see the front half of EPCOT anchored by these large pavilions and want purpose in the layout how I move from thing to thing.

Here I see a HUGE thing... that is so small in it's influence on my desire to visit. And in my book, that's a huge fail for Disney.

montyz81

So those who yearn for classic Epcot - and Edjutainment return, don't like this push back toward edjutainment? Because a slight IP is tied to this?

In the new updated Epcot, where this is clearly in the Nature area(it is by map folks, even if you say its still core its not now..) How does this not fit?

Could it have fit better if between Seas and Land, yes maybe. But it is in that same general area, and some really need to accept the fact that Epcot is changing.

I will be there next week, I wish I could figure out a way to get a sneak peek of it
Everything in Epcot Center (Save for Imagination) was about the future of each topic area. "How do we make this better for the future" If there is something in the Way of Water that talks about how water will drive the future in some way (growth, human advancement, etc) then I will gladly eat humble pie. Epcot Center specifically was mostly about achieving human growth through technology advancement. Remember, as Walt said "EPCOT will take its cue from the new ideas and new technologies that are now emerging from the creative centers of American industry. It will be a community of tomorrow that will never be completed, but will always be introducing and testing and demonstrating new materials and systems. And EPCOT will always be a showcase to the world for the ingenuity and imagination of American free enterprise." I know that this is no longer called Future World, however, if I may be so bold, the people that feel that this does not belong in Epcot expect the things that are put in Epcot to follow the original vision for Epcot Center which ended up becoming a test bed approach for the original E.P.C.O.T. a fact that the designers of transformation really pushed hard to have us believe. So, under that premise, the Moana walk through does not belong in Epcot. Does it ultimately belong in what the transformation ended up becoming? Of course, they could put anything in Epcot at this point.

BTW: if I look at this photo and were a novice to Disney Parks, I'd truly think I was looking at a photo from Animal Kingdom and not at all Epcot! :
1693501484305.png

Disstevefan1

Everything in Epcot Center (Save for Imagination) was about the future of each topic area. "How do we make this better for the future" If there is something in the Way of Water that talks about how water will drive the future in some way (growth, human advancement, etc) then I will gladly eat humble pie. Epcot Center specifically was mostly about achieving human growth through technology advancement. Remember, as Walt said "EPCOT will take its cue from the new ideas and new technologies that are now emerging from the creative centers of American industry. It will be a community of tomorrow that will never be completed, but will always be introducing and testing and demonstrating new materials and systems. And EPCOT will always be a showcase to the world for the ingenuity and imagination of American free enterprise." I know that this is no longer called Future World, however, if I may be so bold, the people that feel that this does not belong in Epcot expect the things that are put in Epcot to follow the original vision for Epcot Center which ended up becoming a test bed approach for the original E.P.C.O.T. a fact that the designers of transformation really pushed hard to have us believe. So, under that premise, the Moana walk through does not belong in Epcot. Does it ultimately belong in what the transformation ended up becoming? Of course, they could put anything in Epcot at this point.

BTW: if I look at this photo and were a novice to Disney Parks, I'd truly think I was looking at a photo from Animal Kingdom and not at all Epcot! :
View attachment 740166
Agreed, they put this (attraction?) in the wrong park. Whats done is done.

Disstevefan1

Kind of like the building that was there previously. We get that you **really** don’t like it, but you could at least have complaints that make sense. There are enough valid problems that you don’t have to tack on complete non-issues.
Your're right. I will have plenty of complaints that make sense after if Moana opens to the public - Thanks!

Last edited:

dmw

In the Parks
No
View attachment 740166
Novice visitors often confuse Disney and Universal parks. And, many novice visitors think AK is a zoo. I really doubt they will see this sign and think AK anymore than they may mistake it for a sign in front of Jungle Cruise.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Very Animal kingdom like and it blocks Spaceship earth nicely. A perfect addition to EPCOT.
no way would I view this as AK-like - no animals! Yes, it's tropical, but AK has multiple climate zones, some of which are tropical. The picture could easily be something in Adventureland, too.

To me, JOW fits in with the Land or Sea area in the new Epcot. YMMV.

View attachment 740166
Disney learned that "Future World" — like the original Tomorrowland concept — requires too much updating. They're smart to shift away from that original idea.

I think JOW makes sense and is a nice addition.

Disney Analyst

Okay just watched MouseSteps full video, and honestly... I kinda love it. It's just a walkthrough of course, but it feels smart, educational, and feels aspirational / inspirational. It really does look beautiful, while seeming fun, yet quaint. The signs along the way do a fine job of teaching the basics of the water cycle, in an approachable way that can be read by or to children, and still appreciated by us older folks, who may need a reminder of the importance of water and protecting it. The little conservation tips are a nice touch.

I know the video was drawn out, but it actually felt a bit more substantial, at least more so than the impression I got with the written descriptions.

I can say with full confidence, my niece would love something like this!

Disstevefan1

Okay just watched MouseSteps full video, and honestly... I kinda love it. It's just a walkthrough of course, but it feels smart, educational, and feels aspirational / inspirational. It really does look beautiful, while seeming fun, yet quaint. The signs along the way do a fine job of teaching the basics of the water cycle, in an approachable way that can be read by or to children, and still appreciated by us older folks, who may need a reminder of the importance of water and protecting it. The little conservation tips are a nice touch.

I know the video was drawn out, but it actually felt a bit more substantial, at least more so than the impression I got with the written descriptions.

I can say with full confidence, my niece would love something like this!
I love MouseSteps videos, but I really love 4K WDW videos

flynnibus

Premium Member
This would have been awesome if scaled down and put in the Polynesian lobby instead of what they did.. or even on the grounds paths around the Poly. Or like I said before, an exhibit at the airport.

Watching the videos I can't help but wonder if they had all these imagineers that worked on Interactive queues... and after they realized the concepts didn't work for an effective attraction queue, they said... well what these ideas WERE THE ATTRACTION!?!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom