Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

ppete1975

Scale is a factor.

I give a person a Lego set that takes 2 hours to build, and a team of 10 people 10 Lego sets that each takes 2 hours to build. When I check in on both teams after 90 minutes, neither team will be done, but the team of 10 will have built more than the single person by sheer providence that they're building multiple things in tandem.
We are adults we should be buying the 200 dollar set not the 12.99 microbuild or generic city set. And thats the issue, why is this a big deal at all, this should just be a nice addition.. not the only build after tron before splash reopens. This was a cheap (in theory we know Disney overpaid) walkway addition. We need attractions that draw people and move the crowds around. You need people eaters. Instead disney is buying the cheapest lego set it can find and taking 5 years to build it. Where it should be buying the UCS sets and having a set to be proud of.

lazyboy97o

ok but we're also not talking about a real attraction here... it's an IP themed splashpad with interactive fountains... that's it...and the entire area has been walled off where work can occur during park hours as well.

The EPCOT park entrance has been a mess for a while.. largely because of this taking forever which is crazy to me
It’s built on top of an existing basement. Why aren’t there a lot of basements in Florida? Water. So putting water on top of an existing basement is going to be a much bigger technical challenge than a splash pad on grade.

Disstevefan1

It’s built on top of an existing basement. Why aren’t there a lot of basements in Florida? Water. So putting water on top of an existing basement is going to be a much bigger technical challenge than a splash pad on grade.
Not a basement. the "basement" you are talking about is actually ground level. and EPCOT is one story above.

lazyboy97o

Not a basement. the "basement" you are talking about is actually ground level. and EPCOT is one story above.
Yes, a basement. Where the grade maybe sort of was located over four decades ago is rather meaningless beyond trivia. Neither EPCOT Center nor the Magic Kingdom were built as giant podiums. Most basements are built on an excavated site that is backfilled. The utilidors and other miscellaneous basements are all designed and built as basements. Even if there was so material difference, it doesn’t negate the technical challenges of placing it on top of an existing building.

Disstevefan1

Yes, a basement. Where the grade maybe sort of was located over four decades ago is rather meaningless beyond trivia. Neither EPCOT Center nor the Magic Kingdom were built as giant podiums. Most basements are built on an excavated site that is backfilled. The utilidors and other miscellaneous basements are all designed and built as basements. Even if there was so material difference, it doesn’t negate the technical challenges of placing it on top of an existing building.
Its a fact that the utilidors under the MK are ground level and the MK was build on top of them.

I presume they did the same at EPCOT.

Disstevefan1

It was sort of ground level over half a century ago. It is a neat bit of trivial that is rather meaningless to the actual building design.
We can agree to disagree.
Ground level is ground level as no soil was removed (and soil was probably added) and a structure was built, then soil was brought in and filled in around it.

lazyboy97o

We can agree to disagree.
Ground level is ground level as no soil was removed (and soil was probably added) and a structure was built, then soil was brought in and filled in around it.
The prior conditions don’t matter. They were changed. The ground level is not a static constant. How the building has to function is based on the current conditions, not something that no longer exists. Most basements are built and then earth is filled in around the building.

Disstevefan1

The prior conditions don’t matter. They were changed. The ground level is not a static constant. How the building has to function is based on the current conditions, not something that no longer exists. Most basements are built and then earth is filled in around the building.
Sometimes, sometimes not. And it does not matter when the water table is 25 or 30 feet below ground level..

As we know, the water table is super high in central Florida, so while basements can be built, its very costly.

I did ACTUALLY see one, in Saint Cloud, FL (right next to WDW). It was in a old change place, I saw the stairs, I really wanted to go down there, they would not let me go down there.

Anyway, I suspect someone building a home on their own land in central Florida, could build a basement but again it would be costly.

The central Florida subdivision homes on 50 wide plots that are cranked out are not made with basements because those homes would cost way too much to build.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I get it, but I’m not buying that as an excuse as to why it’s taken them this long for that. They had nature ponds already in that area.

lazyboy97o

Sometimes, sometimes not. And it does not matter when the water table is 25 or 30 feet below ground level..

As we know, the water table is super high in central Florida, so while basements can be built, its very costly.

I did ACTUALLY see one, in Saint Cloud, FL (right next to WDW). It was in a old change place, I saw the stairs, I really wanted to go down there, they would not let me go down there.

Anyway, I suspect someone building a home on their own land in central Florida, could build a basement but again it would be costly.

The central Florida subdivision homes on 50 wide plots that are cranked out are not made with basements because those homes would cost way too much to build.
Where the grade was doesn’t matter. Once you regrade the site then that is what matters. Water can’t think. It doesn’t know or care where the dirt was yesterday, much less years or decades ago.

Disney Analyst

I get it, but I’m not buying that as an excuse as to why it’s taken them this long for that. They had nature ponds already in that area.

It took so long because:

1. Disney decides what to build slowly and what to build quickly.
  2. Covid shutdowns, spending stops.
  3. Epcot overhaul in general being cut / adjusted due to the above
  4. Prioritized spending based on #2 and #1.
  5. Because Disney do what Disney gonna do.

We can make Disney the butt of the joke because of their timelines, have at it... but in the end, they do it because they want to / can. The only difference here is Covid also played a factor.

And honestly, the only issue I have with how long stuff takes is the visible disarray of the parks when construction is happening.

lazyboy97o

It took so long because:

1. Disney decides what to build slowly and what to build quickly.
  2. Covid shutdowns, spending stops.
  3. Epcot overhaul in general being cut / adjusted due to the above
  4. Prioritized spending based on #2 and #1.
  5. Because Disney do what Disney gonna do.

We can make Disney the butt of the joke because of their timelines, have at it... but in the end, they do it because they want to / can. The only difference here is Covid also played a factor.

And honestly, the only issue I have with how long stuff takes is the visible disarray of the parks when construction is happening.
The high cost and long time line were absolutely impacted by the decision build a splash pad on top of an existing basement.

Disney Analyst

The high cost and long time line were absolutely impacted by the decision build a splash pad on top of an existing basement.

I think in the end my point is... the reasons, are the reasons, are the reasons. It's all much of a muchness to me. Who cares? Apart from how ugly Epcot has been, which IS an issue, how long something takes is such an annoying thing to constantly be brought up.

J4546

I dont hate JoW and its placement but I see why some do. I konda wish they had built the Rainforest Coaster that was planned many years ago for that spot though

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If building this splashpad cost more to build and was more difficult because it was on a “basement”, then in my opinion their decision to build this there was even more ridiculous and their management making these decisions are worse than I thought

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom