Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

hpyhnt 1000

Never thought I'd see the day themed waterfalls/fountains were considered such a big attraction at Disney, especially when it's at the wrong park. My how things have changed and so many fans just accept any Disney thing as awesome now.

I may be in the minority here I don't know, and I hate to be so negative about things and a place I love, but the amount of questionable decisions Disney has made over just the last couple of years is mind-blowing to me
I’m with you on this. There’s just too many misses in recent history beyond this Moana walkthrough - a lackluster 50th; Harmonious; Starcruiser; unthemed warehouses for attractions; generic tower blocks for resorts; Genie+ and virtual queues; entertainment cutbacks; no night parade, 3 of 4 parks with no parade, and an increasingly stale FoF; entire new lands with no shade or seating; eliminating DME; drawn out construction that leaves areas walled off for years, etc. etc. That’s all just at WDW; the DL folks have their own gripes.

And it’s all combined with ever increasing prices.

It’s not a good mix, no matter how much someone on social media says fake rocks and waterfalls look amazing.

It’s mind boggling. EPCOT is crying and begging for actual attractions and people are “happy” we get a glorified garden and a pavilion for more festivals.
This.

It’d be one thing if there was or underway a new weather or health pavilion in Wonders AND a refurbished Spaceship Earth AND a completely revamped Imagination pavilion AND Poppins in UK AND the new China film AND an updated IllumiNations, all in addition to the things they actually did (Guardians, festival area, Ratatouille, new spine, Space 220, etc)…

…then this Moana splash area, while still a poor choice for EPCOT and a questionable use of prime space in the center of the park, would be more acceptable and could serve its role as the B or C ticket attraction it is.

Context and priorities matter. When 3+ years and many millions are spent for this, in lieu of so many other things the park needs, it deserves to be called out for the disappointment it is.

orky8

Never thought I'd see the day themed waterfalls/fountains were considered such a big attraction at Disney, especially when it's at the wrong park. My how things have changed and so many fans just accept any Disney thing as awesome now.

I may be in the minority here I don't know, and I hate to be so negative about things and a place I love, but the amount of questionable decisions Disney has made over just the last couple of years is mind-blowing to me

100%. It's so hard to watch current leadership.

This area looks nice, and should be part of a Moana expansion at AKL (or in Adventureland) for kids to play in while waiting a rider swap or as a nice diversion. It is not something blog-worthy as a stand-alone item and certainly shouldn't be the big and only thing coming to Walt Disney World for FY24.

Having this as part of a general attraction, in a cohesive location, used to be the Disney difference. It used to be the something extra -- now it's the thing, and it simply doesn't work as such.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Starve the sheep for a while and they will gladly eat the crumbs given to them and say how wonderful they taste.

The major decline in the theme parks started with Bob 1.0 (don't get me started on second decade Eisner, at least he still cared about quality but none of that is not pertinent here), and his marketing machine has been so very effective that most don't know or care about anything but what they are being fed next.

whobdis

How does Moana fit into Epcot? Did she visit as a child with Peter Quill?
This change has been going on for awhile. Your getting more disney themed attractions in the park. Frozen took over Maelstrom years ago. Some like..some don't. But it's not new. I like the idea..maybe not the packaging. One would have labeled it as 'water of life' or whatever. It would have fit in that area. It does look nice and maybe a nice respite on those hot days. People don't like change sometimes

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
After watching some videos....This just looked like a interactive queue for a canceled ride they wanted to do and they just did this...They could have made the Water Garden at imagination much more lively instead.
That’s a great description of it

We’ve gone from Disney designing interactive queues for attractions to now just interactive queues designated as the attraction

aladdin2007

Redone entrance that removed the ugly tombstone and restored the prism fountain to its former glory. New point of light on SSE, redid the spine removing the new millennium tents and poles for more greenery, seating, and gardens. Removed decaying half closed Innoventions East, restored the floor to ceiling windows, sunken floors and added good food to a former burger and chicken nugget joint. Redid the shop to be less chaotic and confusing to navigate. Removed a dated ride for a new E ticket coaster that gets great reviews. Added a new restaurant to Mission SPACE to make a more complete space pavilion. A new purpose built festival center in the hub with dedicated meet and greets and replaced a formerly closed off building that wasn’t in use since 2015. Added a new walk through that tied edutainment and acts as an opening for the land and seas pavilions. Redid an old film for a new ip less in the Harvest Theater. Canada updated a film for a more edutainment toned then it’s former version. France added the first new ride to world showcase since the 80s and a back area to the pavilion with more dining. America removed a glorified McDonalds for great bbq place with terrific food.
sorry but no, the shop is a huge downgrade. Half the size not even of the original, the layout is the worst I have ever seen for shoppers, and they have very little anymore to choose from. Its an absolute mess in there. Plus nothing visually appealing about it except maybe the ceiling. This is what happens when the designers are in California and never stepped foot in our parks in Florida. Disney should be appalled, it was all done to cut back cut down offer less, save more...back to the moana water fountain across the way, sorry.

J4546

I don't think you actually have seen such a day.

Did a search: No one in this thread called it a "big attraction" until you just did.

Who's been calling it a "big attraction"?
That's what I'm wondering? I haven't seen any advertising or press releases outside this site for jow, I don't think disney is hyping it up like rise or any major new attraction. Noone on here thinks it's a big attraction either

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I don't think you actually have seen such a day.

Did a search: No one in this thread called it a "big attraction" until you just did.

Who's been calling it a "big attraction"?
Disney thinks this is a big addition to Epcot. They spent a ton of money on it. Kept the front of Epcot a construction zone for years and are doing “previews” and vlogger pampering to show it off. They wouldn’t do all that if they didn’t think this was really something. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/journey-of-water/

It’s basically an interactive queue with no main attraction

WorldExplorer

Disney thinks this is a big addition to Epcot. They spent a ton of money on it. Kept the front of Epcot a construction zone for years and are doing “previews” and vlogger pampering to show it off. They wouldn’t do all that if they didn’t think this was really something. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/journey-of-water/

It’s basically an interactive queue with no main attraction
They also gave it it's own segment in the preview center alongside the actual rides, a new pavilion, and a new nighttime show.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

They could have made the Water Garden at imagination much more lively instead.
I had always assumed their original goal was to eliminate the leaping fountains at Imagination during the never-announced redo, with JoW acting as a sort of combined outdoor replacement for both them and Innoventions West. I know people love the ones at Imagination, but they do kind of get the pavement wet in undesirable ways, plus they're not exactly attractive. They look like laundry tubs filled with blue sponge.

TP2000

They should have put this in the airport terminal

That's hysterical. 🤣

Portland is almost finished with a massive airport rebuild. I connected through there earlier this summer, and all the artwork they had on display to pardon their dust explained that the new airport would be symbolic of the "Journey" that nature takes through the Oregon landscape. :rolleyes:

This will be pretty as Portland's new airport, but it needs some showmanship like Journey of Water.

5f89aa579e9fe40019009bad

WDI used to try and sell the WedWay PeopleMover system to various airports, but now maybe they should be selling their new interactive pre-shows without a show to airports who need a "Journey" theme?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom