Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

wserratore1963

Jeremiah with Laughing Place was invited to preview Journey of Water today. Hear his thoughts in the video linked below.

This sounds wonderful- imagineers old school edutainment! I’m looking forward to this. Sounds like a cool place to chill, let the kids splash around and learn along the way!
I think this will be a welcome addition to the park.
Hopefully it opens for the anniversary date of EPCOT.
Thanks for sharing

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
If you want to sign up for email notifications from WDWMAGIC on the opening of any guest previews - go to

Journey of Water Inspired by Moana guest preview notification thread​

J4546

This sounds like what I pretty much thought it was gonna be, a beautiful somewhat interactive walkthrough attraction with a couple different water scenes depicting the lifecycles of water. I bet the nighttime lighting for this is gonna be amazing as well. Also, I am surprised this attraction has its own bathrooms

Last edited:

No Name

The imagineers he was with were surprised he read one of the signs. And yet the edutainment aspect hinges on kids reading plaques! A lot of what he describes sounds neat, but you really have to pull yourself out of reality to call this “edutainment at its finest.”

OSUPhantom

Jeremiah with Laughing Place was invited to preview Journey of Water today. Hear his thoughts in the video linked below.

His positive reception is refreshing to hear. No one is expecting a groundbreaking E-ticket but if they have accomplished the right combination of education and entertainment with the right balance of IP then I’ll be happy with the result.

Incomudro

While I've always supported this feature, listening to the review it actually sounds a bit better than I thought.
I really didn't believe that it addressed the water cycle at all despite the claim - and I didn't really care.
But now I see that the cycle is addressed by its start at the mountains as you enter the area, and follow it trough streams, rivers, and on to larger bodies of water. That's more than I expected.
The interactivity sounds good as well.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney has updated the description for Journey of Water and has reiterated a late 2023 opening - see the updates below.

Where Water Comes to Life

Stroll along a self-guided outdoor trail where you can play with water as it travels from the sky to the oceans and back again. Along the way, you’ll find that:
  • Water Is a Friend: Moana befriended the ocean… and you can, too! Enjoy magical encounters with water and discover its playful personality, just as Moana did on her heroic voyage.
  • Water Connects Us All: All water is connected—and it connects us to one another. As you traverse this trail, you’ll connect and interact with water in new ways. And you’ll learn about the global water cycle, which takes water on a wondrous adventure around our planet.
  • Water Needs Protection: Throughout your journey, you’ll learn how you can help protect this precious natural resource and make a positive impact on the world.
Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana is scheduled to open in late 2023 within World Nature—the EPCOT neighborhood dedicated to understanding and preserving the beauty and balance of the natural world.

Make a Splash… or Stay Dry!

You can choose to get wet—or take the dry path instead—as you explore this whimsical, watery world.

Disstevefan1

Disney has updated the description for Journey of Water and has reiterated a late 2023 opening - see the updates below.

Where Water Comes to Life

Stroll along a self-guided outdoor trail where you can play with water as it travels from the sky to the oceans and back again. Along the way, you’ll find that:
  • Water Is a Friend: Moana befriended the ocean… and you can, too! Enjoy magical encounters with water and discover its playful personality, just as Moana did on her heroic voyage.
  • Water Connects Us All: All water is connected—and it connects us to one another. As you traverse this trail, you’ll connect and interact with water in new ways. And you’ll learn about the global water cycle, which takes water on a wondrous adventure around our planet.
  • Water Needs Protection: Throughout your journey, you’ll learn how you can help protect this precious natural resource and make a positive impact on the world.
Journey of Water, Inspired by Moana is scheduled to open in late 2023 within World Nature—the EPCOT neighborhood dedicated to understanding and preserving the beauty and balance of the natural world.

Make a Splash… or Stay Dry!

You can choose to get wet—or take the dry path instead—as you explore this whimsical, watery world.
This is such magical edutainmemt!! This could possibly be the best thing to ever happen in WDW since Casey Jr Splash N' Soak Station!!

James Alucobond

The imagineers he was with were surprised he read one of the signs. And yet the edutainment aspect hinges on kids reading plaques! A lot of what he describes sounds neat, but you really have to pull yourself out of reality to call this “edutainment at its finest.”
I agree that the statement is hyperbolic, but I think it’s also reductive to say that the edutainment aspect is relegated solely to the placards. Each bit of text accompanies a physical vignette that echoes the text, so you see mist and streams rolling down “cliffs”, waves crashing against the “shore”, etc. So yes, there is supplementary text telling you what each scene represents, but the scenes also likely exist in a way that encourages wordless discovery. Additionally, water just happens to be something with lots of unique properties that are demonstrable through play and kinetic displays.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To those that can read. All the "edutainment" is on plaques. 🙄
I totally agree with you that that's excellent!!

It's just like all the plaques at the animal exhibits in DAK!! What bird is that? I DON'T KNOW!!! Oh wait, it says what it is on the plaque and it's migration habits, which I would never have known if I didn't read the plaque!!!!

It's just like all the plaques at science centers that explain what's happening, like when you see a Foucault pendulum in action and have no idea what the big ball is doing!!! Until you read the plaque and understand it proves the rotation of the earth which would not have been evident at all from just looking at a giant pendulum.

It's just like all the plaques in a museum that tells who the artist is and the name of the piece and when it was made and how it fits into the history of art!!!

So, I'm totally with you that it's great for anyone seven or older to start learning Earth Science in action with the movement of water and those plaques. I'll bet they'll really shine in their 5th grade science class!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom