Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
How is repeatedly doubting his title not a personal attack?
Because there hasn't been anything particularly creative about the project?

And I'm also not convinced he was actually the driving force behind this, it feels too... design-by-committee-ish. To me. "Throw some **** against the conference room wall and see what sticks" kind of stuff.

wserratore1963

Beyond the CM previews for Moana; have they announced DVC, AP and 33 previews? Also it's kinda weird that there are no volgs from anyone about the walk through. Is that by design?

James Alucobond

Beyond the CM previews for Moana; have they announced DVC, AP and 33 previews? Also it's kinda weird that there are no volgs from anyone about the walk through. Is that by design?
The walkthroughs were salaried employees only, so vlog mentions and whatnot would have been super minimal. They’ve been fixing something at the front of the attraction that necessitated digging up a section of pavement and moving the entry podium, so I imagine we’ll hear more when that’s back in order.

donnylambb

The walkthroughs were salaried employees only, so vlog mentions and whatnot would have been super minimal. They’ve been fixing something at the front of the attraction that necessitated digging up a section of pavement and moving the entry podium, so I imagine we’ll hear more when that’s back in order.
when is the supposed opening?

Indy_UK

Hey, they spent $400+ million on Guardians and I forget how much to shoehorn Rat in behind France. Harmodious. Construction walls for years. A misplaced Moana water thing. LOOK AT ALL THEY'VE GIVEN US!!! Several people have proclaimed this version of Epcot to be the bestest one ever, what more do you want?!?!

While I agree with you and Guardians was expensive, for me it was worth it as that ride has completely changed how I feel about the park. I will go to Epcot just to ride Guardians.

wserratore1963

Many thanks for the quick reply and information

J4546

Thank you so much for posting here. Your posts are always sincere and reasonable.

You bring up I think the strongest points.

I mean four years into this and besides Guardians and Rat which are rides in themselves new, we can say the only other things, and the actual EPCOT-ness of it are...more cleanly designed store and cafe.

The revamped EPCOT idea was kind of pointless to market and hype at this point.
Space 220 as well.

Sir_Cliff

Zach was the alleged-creative lead for the Epcot re-do. Wore an authentic retro reprint t-shirt for EPCOT Center at an event one time and people thusly claimed "He understands what EPCOT Center was all about, this project will be great!!!".
I don't remember that. I remember people making fun of him for wearing retro Epcot t-shirts.

Had a series of Instagram posts about "backstage WDI secrets" that ended up being about concrete, flooring choices for Club Cool, etc.
I think most people would agree the content of the posts was less than earth-shattering, though I seem to be the only one who didn't mind hearing more about some of these smaller design choices about which they now just don't say anything. The more they cancelled, the more it also became clear they did not have much to promote, however.

In general, though, I think one lesson is that putting someone out front to communicate to Disney's online fans is like throwing them to the wolves. Part of that is certainly discontent with a lot that's going on in the parks, which in many cases is justified. I think another part is that there is such a large amount of people who are reflexively mocking and negative about anything Disney puts out that it's best just to keep it to shiny PR pieces aimed for the masses and ignore the fans on boards like this.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

This is exciting! Previews of possibly the worst attraction in the history of WDW including Figment version 3.
Eh, I think that's a bit premature. I'm not convinced it's likely to be as aggressively bad as Figment version 2 and probably more enjoyable than Figment version 3 and Nemo, both located a short stroll away. At least you get some fresh air and looking at water is somewhat therapeutic!

In general, I get that this is not a blockbuster and has taken far too long to build. The location is also debatable. I haven't seen anything so far that suggests it will be bad, though. The fact you can walk through it as quickly or slowly as you choose helps even if it's relatively slight.

Disstevefan1

Eh, I think that's a bit premature. I'm not convinced it's likely to be as aggressively bad as Figment version 2 and probably more enjoyable than Figment version 3 and Nemo, both located a short stroll away. At least you get some fresh air and looking at water is somewhat therapeutic!

In general, I get that this is not a blockbuster and has taken far too long to build. The location is also debatable. I haven't seen anything so far that suggests it will be bad, though. The fact you can walk through it as quickly or slowly as you choose helps even if it's relatively slight.
I was just being salty. I am sure it will be fine, not worth the money, time and work involved, but fine.

I am just really just looking forward to seeing the walls down. How long has it been? 4 years or so?

TheMaxRebo

While I agree with you and Guardians was expensive, for me it was worth it as that ride has completely changed how I feel about the park. I will go to Epcot just to ride Guardians.

Feel like looks at "worth" you almost have to grade in a Disney curve as everything they build looks to cost more than it should due to how they are set up, do business, do accounting, etc

So I stead of determining if Guardians was worth $400m almost have to think is it worth twice as much as something Disney would spend $200m

I've seen estimates of $120m for Remy .... Is Guardians worth 3+ Remy's?

Epcot82Guy

Feel like looks at "worth" you almost have to grade in a Disney curve as everything they build looks to cost more than it should due to how they are set up, do business, do accounting, etc

So I stead of determining if Guardians was worth $400m almost have to think is it worth twice as much as something Disney would spend $200m

I've seen estimates of $120m for Remy .... Is Guardians worth 3+ Remy's?

The film studio is having similar issues. Films like Oppenheimer, Barbie, Mario all coming in $100-150M. And Disney's are coming in at 2-3x that budget. Without the return. There has to be a ROI talk at some point, as you suggest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom