Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

Br0ckford

According to folks fresh off of previews, some features include:
  1. Water harps that you can play by passing your hand under a series of water strings
  2. A waterfall curtain that parts for you when you pass through it
  3. Leaping fountains that you can direct
  4. Collaborative effects where more people gathering around creates larger fountains
  5. The ability to high-five the water, with the fountain aiming for your hand to meet you high or low
  6. A children's play area with spitting kakamora
The water humiliates you. High five, up high, down low, too slow loser. Keeps the kids away.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What’s pathetic is thousands of AP’s, video bloggers, and assorted men-children will be lined up on opening day, which will just reinforce management to continue these idiotic additions.

Look, it’s a hit!!!

Embarrassed for all involved.
You're nerdrage posting about a theme park attraction on a fan board.

I'd be careful about throwing "men-children" around so cavalierly.

SilentWindODoom

I don't NEEEED Placards when I know a dag gum snowman told me all about it...
7eae261bdd9cfa7a8ba7d4dc7ce7f7cf95d4babc.gif

What Did Moana Teach us......
tumblr_p2hqeagoZA1viadppo4_r1_500.gif

One of those has proven false and one of those is all too true.

Skibum1970

That part just makes me think they'll be using that as a flex uniform for outdoors cast, and when you're working water's journey, you pin up the sleeve.

They should have made them dress as plumbers. Although, then SNW would have griped about Mario/Luigi being appropriated.

Tony the Tigger

The mist cooling thing isn't all that effective outdoors in humid climate because the whole evaporative cooling effect doesn't actually work all that well. When you're already hot and sweaty and in humidity of 80% or higher and you get hit by a mist and are still in that hot and humid environment, you're really just getting more moist.

Now, if you immediately go into someplace air conditioned, you'll feel it but it's the same feeling as being drenched in sweat from doing yard work here in FL and then going inside where you're AC is set to 72.

It feels good in a sweet-relief kind of way but also a little icky.

I'm guessing that's why it's not featured as much in queue lines and other places in Florida, in general, as it once was.

Club cool worked because it was basically an "attraction" taking you through a literal walk-in freezer that led you to an indoor air conditioned place that offered *free* flavored hydration - not even remotely comparable.
I live in South Florida; I’m pretty familiar with humidity.

And soda is dehydrating, not hydrating,

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Sorry, but just about any water-based drink is sufficient for hydration Soda, slushies, fruit drinks, coffee, tea, milk, etc... are all s hydrating. The exception is alcohol if you drink enough and concentrated, like in shots; but two beers in a day won't leave you dehydrated.

If you're implying the caffeine in some sodas is the culprit, the scientific evidence is that you'd need enough caffeine to be a jittery heart-pounding mess for it to be significantly diuretic enough to be de-hydrating.

MrPromey

I live in South Florida; I’m pretty familiar with humidity.

I know you do which is why you trying to draw some connection between an implied benefit of assumed misting to the Club Cool freezer seemed rather... artful?

Also caffeine is the primary* diuretic ingredient and it's minor - not soda in general - and most of what was offered there for free didn't have caffeine in it. In fact, I'm not sure any of those flavors actually did.

But, you know, don't let facts get in the way of a nice glib comeback! ;)

*before you bring up sodium, it's worth mentioning that's the main additive in bottled water, too.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Also caffeine is the primary* diuretic ingredient and it's minor - not soda in general - and most of what was offered there for free didn't have caffeine in it. In fact, I'm not sure any of those flavors actually did.
And caffeine's diuretic effect is mostly seen in timing of urination, not over all urination. Caffeine stimulates an initial urination, but that effect isn't continuous. Someone taking caffeine doesn't urinate more over time compared to not taking caffeine.

Of course, we're talking about the amount found in a few caffeinated drinks over the course of a day. Not ten espressos in an hour.

No one's going to chug two caffeinated sodas in the Florida heat and then pass out half an hour later from dehydration.

And we'll all know this once Journey of Watery Beverages opens!!

GimpYancIent

And caffeine's diuretic effect is mostly seen in timing of urination, not over all urination. Caffeine stimulates an initial urination, but that effect isn't continuous. Someone taking caffeine doesn't urinate more over time compared to not taking caffeine.

Of course, we're talking about the amount found in a few caffeinated drinks over the course of a day. Not ten espressos in an hour.

No one's going to chug two caffeinated sodas in the Florida heat and then pass out half an hour later from dehydration.

And we'll all know this once Journey of Watery Beverages opens!!
It's like Disney saying Pee On You! :oops:

Tjaden

I don't personally recall playing with musical instruments in Innoventions* but maybe I missed that exhibit since many came and went along with their individual sponsorships. I also wouldn't call the Sega game arcade it turned into near the end much in the way of edutainment, either.

But to some greater or lesser degree, in keeping with the original worlds fair exhibit-like nature, many things were there to offer some education while also hopefully (for them) explaining how the sponsor was an integral part of bringing us our future without it feeling like a complete commercial and done in a way that would keep people's attention.

My first exposure to modern electric cars was there with protypes GM were planning to go to market with as leases before Musk had even founded PayPal and Tesla was not even a gleam in his eye.

I learned about e-ink tech being developed by Xerox (how it worked seemed crazy and impractical and like more like science fiction than something I'd one day own two of) more than a decade before the first Kindle came out, at Innoventions.

I rode a Segway there back when they were still unobtainable devices for the common man well before they came and went as standard-issue for mall cops and way, way before the tech ended up in hoverboards that tweens would end up enjoying for around $100.

Heck, I remember an exhibit sponsored by MSN that was basically letting people into rooms and on computers offering a chance to try out the WWW on high-speed internet at a time when most homes still didn't have computers, most adults hadn't ever even used computers and far fewer had access to shotgun dial-up (google it) much less anything approaching what we think of as standard access speeds, today.

... But I also sat through a presentation about funding sponsored by a bank and played in an interactive color environment sponsored by a paint company, neither of which really taught anything or suggested something about the future.

Some exhibits did a better job of hitting the right balance than others. They were all relatively small and there were many to choose from at once as well as over the years, and none were permanent installations so there was always hope the failures would be pruned.

Usually, they were.

Regarding the play of water, I don't remember a teacher showing me how I could play music by strumming subatomic particles or how they would high-five me but I may have been absent that day.

I think it's fairly safe to say at this point that this was built with an eye to no or close to no educational value at all and then supplemented with some printed boards stuck in the ground to live up to the promises that this wasn't just a poorly placed play zone.

Just in the last couple of days, there are people still talking about the strong connection of this to Living Seas and The Land and how this was the right place for it instead of Adventureland or AK because of the whole water cycle thing and yet here we are.

I mean, maybe the actual part about the real water cycle is just not being reported or maybe they aren't done with that part yet?

Or it's just the modern Epcot. Things like this and CRW are really just the introduction of IP at all costs and the removal of the original mission of the park is just reality which, okay, whatever but it's the pretending like it isn't that's the part I find hard to swallow, here.

*I do recall stuff like that in the old Imageworks, though, where the subject of creativity fit perfectly with the overarching theme and stated goals of the pavilion.
When I was Innoventions cast there was a Kuka exhibit of robots playing percussion instruments before Sum of All Thrills opened. I don't remember if it stayed open after Sum of All Thrills or not, but it wasn't popular either way and had no cast members.

Br0ckford

Sorry, but just about any water-based drink is sufficient for hydration Soda, slushies, fruit drinks, coffee, tea, milk, etc... are all s hydrating. The exception is alcohol if you drink enough and concentrated, like in shots; but two beers in a day won't leave you dehydrated.

If you're implying the caffeine in some sodas is the culprit, the scientific evidence is that you'd need enough caffeine to be a jittery heart-pounding mess for it to be significantly diuretic enough to be de-hydrating.
But what if the only soda available is the Beverly?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom