Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

MrPromey

So explain to me how those don’t look like catering/food and bev?

…probably for a cupcake party 🤔
The sleeves! It's all in the "cool sleeve design!".

If only they'd been as subtle and restrained with the Moana references when redesigning the rooms in the Polynesian as they are apparently being with the uniforms for this Moana attraction. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MrPromey

Because there were never wall graphics that you could optionally read in Innoventions, right? I get that this isn't something people are going to be terribly excited about, that it replaced a building that shouldn't have been torn down in the first place, and that it further muddles the spatial organization of the park, but is having something to read really that much of an affront?
I don't think that was meant to suggest that having something to read is an affront so much as Disney (and a few people on these boards) have continued to maintain the educational value of this attraction while Imagineering videos show things like coconut character carvings in rocks and people working on it in interviews talk about how you'll learn that water is "alive" and has "personality" - things it's literally not and doesn't have...

Only to have it revealed that yep, the "edutainment" element is basically just a tacked on afterthought to a water playground.

Last edited:

Epcot81Fan

I don't think that was meant to suggest that having something to read is an affront so much as Disney (and a few people on these boards) have continued to maintain the educational value of this attraction while Imagineering videos show things like coconut character carvings in rocks and people working on it in interviews talking about how you'll learn that water has "personality"...

Only to have it revealed that yep, the "edutainment" element is basically just a tacked on afterthought to a water playground.
You see kids, first water comes down as rain and then BOOM! It high fives you! Up top, rainwater!!!

James Alucobond

I don't think that was meant to suggest that having something to read is an affront so much as Disney (and a few people on these boards) have continued to maintain the educational value of this attraction while Imagineering videos show things like coconut character carvings in rocks and people working on it in interviews talking about how you'll learn that water has "personality"...

Again, I just fail to see how this is radically different from Innoventions. You introduce a concept and allow people to play with it. Playing with musical instruments in an exhibit about music doesn’t beam diatonic scales into your brain even if the accompanying placard mentions them. You may learn nothing at all; the point is to create a sense of fascination and wonder that contextualizes and adds interest to the accompanying science. As to the personality of water, personification is frequently used to demonstrate concepts, as perhaps a teacher did for you long ago when explaining subatomic bonding and repulsion, for instance.

Poseidon Quest

Though, I venture some seven year old will beat me to it.

Speaking of which, one of the issues I had with Super Nintendo World was young kids running up and interrupting you in the middle of what you were doing and spam punching the blocks. Will water come up and touch your hand if the child right next to you is wildly waving their arms and confusing the sensors?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You see kids, first water comes down as rain and then BOOM! It high fives you! Up top, rainwater!!!
What part of "Inspired by Moana" do you not understand?

When Timon and Pumba were narrating the LwtL ecological awareness movie, were you the one that jumped up, pointing at the screen, yelling, "Meerkats and Warthogs can't talk!!!"

MrPromey

Again, I just fail to see how this is radically different from Innoventions. You introduce a concept and allow people to play with it. Playing with musical instruments in an exhibit about music doesn’t beam diatonic scales into your brain even if the accompanying placard mentions them. You may learn nothing at all; the point is to create a sense of fascination and wonder that contextualizes and adds interest to the accompanying science. As to the personality of water, personification is frequently used to demonstrate concepts, as perhaps a teacher did for you long ago when explaining subatomic bonding and repulsion, for instance.
I don't personally recall playing with musical instruments in Innoventions* but maybe I missed that exhibit since many came and went along with their individual sponsorships. I also wouldn't call the Sega game arcade it turned into near the end much in the way of edutainment, either.

But to some greater or lesser degree, in keeping with the original worlds fair exhibit-like nature, many things were there to offer some education while also hopefully (for them) explaining how the sponsor was an integral part of bringing us our future without it feeling like a complete commercial and done in a way that would keep people's attention.

My first exposure to modern electric cars was there with protypes GM were planning to go to market with as leases before Musk had even founded PayPal and Tesla was not even a gleam in his eye.

I learned about e-ink tech being developed by Xerox (how it worked seemed crazy and impractical and like more like science fiction than something I'd one day own two of) more than a decade before the first Kindle came out, at Innoventions.

I rode a Segway there back when they were still unobtainable devices for the common man well before they came and went as standard-issue for mall cops and way, way before the tech ended up in hoverboards that tweens would end up enjoying for around $100.

Heck, I remember an exhibit sponsored by MSN that was basically letting people into rooms and on computers offering a chance to try out the WWW on high-speed internet at a time when most homes still didn't have computers, most adults hadn't ever even used computers and far fewer had access to shotgun dial-up (google it) much less anything approaching what we think of as standard access speeds, today.

... But I also sat through a presentation about funding sponsored by a bank and played in an interactive color environment sponsored by a paint company, neither of which really taught anything or suggested something about the future.

Some exhibits did a better job of hitting the right balance than others. They were all relatively small and there were many to choose from at once as well as over the years, and none were permanent installations so there was always hope the failures would be pruned.

Usually, they were.

Regarding the play of water, I don't remember a teacher showing me how I could play music by strumming subatomic particles or how they would high-five me but I may have been absent that day.

I think it's fairly safe to say at this point that this was built with an eye to no or close to no educational value at all and then supplemented with some printed boards stuck in the ground to live up to the promises that this wasn't just a poorly placed play zone.

Just in the last couple of days, there are people still talking about the strong connection of this to Living Seas and The Land and how this was the right place for it instead of Adventureland or AK because of the whole water cycle thing and yet here we are.

I mean, maybe the actual part about the real water cycle is just not being reported or maybe they aren't done with that part yet?

Or it's just the modern Epcot. Things like this and CRW are really just the introduction of IP at all costs and the removal of the original mission of the park is just reality which, okay, whatever but it's the pretending like it isn't that's the part I find hard to swallow, here.

*I do recall stuff like that in the old Imageworks, though, where the subject of creativity fit perfectly with the overarching theme and stated goals of the pavilion.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

*I do recall stuff like that in the old Imageworks, though.
I probably got these confused; thanks for the correction. I still think there’s miles between this, which feels like it could have been an opening day play area if it had a different aesthetic and no IP, and Cosmic Rewind, which teaches us nothing because the “science” is actual technobabble and the ride content is Marvel quips overlaid on headspinning giant space overlord graphics.

MrPromey

I probably got these confused; thanks for the correction. I still think there’s miles between this, which feels like it could have been an opening day play area if it had a different aesthetic and no IP, and Cosmic Rewind, which teaches us nothing because the “science” is actual technobabble and the ride content is Marvel quips overlaid on headspinning giant space overlord graphics.
Maybe - having not seen this in person, I can't make an honest comparison but if it had been an opening day experience and it was meant to actually be connected to the Land and Seas pavilions, this whole side of the park would have been laid out differently and it wouldn't be on the other side of a man-made pond like it is now.

It also would very likely have had narration or actual people mic'd up and talking (like Like Living with the Land) and physical examples demonstrating real water flowing through actual soil to show how it goes into the earth below said soil, is filtered on the way down to an aquafur, how it comes back out in rivers and lakes, how some if it passes through plants... maybe even animals, and how the rest leads to oceans, or evaporates and - you know - the actual journey of water.

It probably also wouldn't have a 16 foot tall statue of a completely made-up-by-Disney islander goddess in the middle, either... Unless someone wants to argue she's a giant physical representation of the importance of nature conservation in general (since she had no specific direct connection to the water featured in the move) in which case, Epcot's not the park Disney tries to promote every year on Earth Day, is it?

Instead, it looks like we're getting something akin to a set of Microsoft Kinects connected to fountains and hoses built into a water feature with the intent being to distance the tech and systems responsible for delivering it, as far as possible to the guests experience with it which is why, given the chosen theme, Epcot seems, to many of us, to be like the worst fit out of the four parks for what they've built and why the location in particular in Epcot, is double puzzling other than, they had to put something there after tearing down that building they decided they didn't want to keep.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if the blue sky concept for this was originally intended for a different park because what I'm seeing of the end result sure feels like it was.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can’t wait to see how Disney markets this because I just don’t see the draw at all. This isn’t going to get people to go to Epcot.
They won’t market it at all…

It’s just then rather embarrassingly limping across the “finish line” for the grand Epcot redesign

And as we all probably knew…it’s gonna result in a new roller coaster and the trackless add.
Not terrible…but doesn’t really address the stagnation of the park much at all.

Epcot81Fan

I can’t wait to see how Disney markets this because I just don’t see the draw at all. This isn’t going to get people to go to Epcot.
What’s pathetic is thousands of AP’s, video bloggers, and assorted men-children will be lined up on opening day, which will just reinforce management to continue these idiotic additions.

Look, it’s a hit!!!

Embarrassed for all involved.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What’s pathetic is thousands of AP’s, video bloggers, and assorted men-children will be lined up on opening day, which will just reinforce management to continue these idiotic additions.

Look, it’s a hit!!!

Embarrassed for all involved.
All the usual bloodsuckers (trakkers) where toiling around at Epcot for booths today

I’ll bet the “experience” is totes different from when they closed them 2 weeks ago 😎

MrPromey

It’s just then rather embarrassingly limping across the “finish line” for the grand Epcot redesign

And as we all probably knew…it’s gonna result in a new roller coaster and the trackless add.
I'm sure it'll land on the cover of the park map for a few months, at least. ;)

MrPromey

So explain to me how those don’t look like catering/food and bev?

…probably for a cupcake party 🤔
Having ruminated on this, I realize they actually look a little lot like the people who deliver my mail.

1p1.jpg

(not my front porch or specific mail carrier but exactly how they're usually dressed)

I guess the "cool sleeve design" really is what makes them stand out.

Last edited:

Rose&Crown

Maybe I missed it but I feel they did the same with Tron. Soft open and then quietly fully open with no big press event. I have friends who didn’t even know it opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom