Premium Member
Photos from today.

IMG_4053.jpeg
IMG_4057.jpeg
IMG_4063.jpeg

donaldtoo

What was there?

Was is the key word, isn’t it…?

I get that it (Comminicore and then Innoventions, not all of Future World, actually) we’re a shell of their former selves, and there’s no way they were goin’ back to the kind of attractions they once were. Couldn’t it (Innoventions West) have been repurposed to something else, though, instead of knocked down for a Moana water attraction…? What’s educational about Moana anyway…?! It’s a fantasy cartoon.
Epcot isn’t even about “edutainment” anymore, the way I first remember it (and, yes, hasn’t been for a long time), and keeps leaning more and more towards IP.
So yea, what’s left is, well, what’s left of Innoventions East…Club Cool, an eatery, and a merch shop. Way to be innovative, Walt Six Disney Flags World.
Plus, now that whole section of the Park is asymmetrical…!!!!! :hilarious:

Last edited:

J4546

I get that it (Comminicore and then Innoventions, not all of Future World, actually) we’re a shell of their former selves, and there’s no way they were goin’ back to the kind of attractions they once were. Couldn’t it (Innoventions West) have been repurposed to something else, though, instead of knocked down for a Moana water attraction…? What’s educational about Moana anyway…?! It’s a fantasy cartoon.
Epcot isn’t even about “edutainment” anymore, the way I first remember it (and, yes, hasn’t been for a long time), and keeps leaning more and more towards IP.
So yea, what’s left is, well, what’s left of Innoventions East…Club Cool, an eatery, and a merch shop. Way to be innovative, Walt Six Disney Flags World.
The Journey Of Water attraction is about the lifecycle of water.....Its literally what the description of the attraction is. Thats whats educational about it.

The Journey Of Water attraction is about the lifecycle of water.....It’s literally what the description of the attraction is. Thats whats educational about it.
Perfectly adequate reasoning. unfortunately EPCOT purists usually aren’t able to have a level-headed discussion about anything new in EPCOT because the incorporation of Disney characters (in Disney World!) just isn’ like the good ole days in the 80s-2000s. They won’t be happy until everything from the world of Animated IP is gone and replaced with Horizons and Maelstrom. (Not saying this is the person you replied to, but just in general). Personally, im fine with pre-existing IP being incorporated into attractions as long as it makes sense. JoW makes more sense to me than a Zootopia ride in a Moana land at DAK.

Inspired Figment

Perfectly adequate reasoning. unfortunately EPCOT purists usually aren’t able to have a level-headed discussion about anything new in EPCOT because the incorporation of Disney characters (in Disney World!) just isn’ like the good ole days in the 80s-2000s. They won’t be happy until everything from the world of Animated IP is gone and replaced with Horizons and Maelstrom. (Not saying this is the person you replied to, but just in general). Personally, im fine with pre-existing IP being incorporated into attractions as long as it makes sense. JoW makes more sense to me than a Zootopia ride in a Moana land at DAK.
Incorrect, you’re looking at things extremely warped. Disney characters were originally developed both in & outside the parks division. (Both within Imagineering ‘and’ the animation & live action film divisions) We loved when there was a tasteful balance of both without coming at the expense of the core themes & focus of the park. That theme & focus is becoming smaller and smaller to only ‘strictly’ be focused on film & tv tie in characters and ‘their’ worlds/situations and not the real world concept at hand., to the point it’s more & more replacing said original concepts that did it right to the point they don’t exist anymore or very little do. The truly non-level headed folks are the corporate folks up-top that absolutely reject nuance & balance and only want an extreme push into one direction that breaks the core themes & concepts at hand. From what we’ve seen, it seems more of the focus was put on Moana & the characters themselves rather than the water & water cycle from what I can see. “Inspired By Moana” is a huge stretch in this case, I’d argue. Much like most of the new IP-tie in additions that have been added. The original EPCOT theme ties are very loose/easily missable to nearly non-existent now when it comes to new additions and updates done to original attractions

Last edited:

Incomudro

No.
Innovations West could not have been repurposed.
The days of indoor walk through tech that gets immediately dated at Epcot attractions have been over for decades.
It's not practical.
And outside of a few Epcot purists - it's not wanted anymore.
And in case people forget what I've said about Epcot before: I LOVED the old Epcot.
It was my favorite of the parks.
But it aged out.
And even if it didn't Disney all but abandoned the theme of Future World.
They're not going back to it.

donaldtoo

The Journey Of Water attraction is about the lifecycle of water.....Its literally what the description of the attraction is. Thats whats educational about it.

I googled and read more extensively about it. If the final product turns out as their marketing suggests (from what I read, they’ve already made several changes due to budget issues, and we’re goin’ on 3 years of demolition/construction, again - all of the original EPCOT Center was built in 3 years), then I’ll stand corrected. I’ll await final judgement until I experience it for myself, of course.
Also, if it turns out as advertised, when was the last time Epcot ever even added anything “educational”…?!
I guess “Awesome Planet” (which replaced “Circle of Life”, which replaced “Symbiosis”) in the Land pavilion, in January of 2020…?! Certainly not a main attraction, like all the original EPCOT Center attractions (including WS) were.
Time will tell for JoW.

TP2000

This still isn't open yet?!? o_O

I came to this thread just now and jumped to the last page because I suddenly remembered it was a thing and I thought for sure it would be open and I just missed it, as we've had plenty of other fun topics to discuss the past six months in other areas of the forum.

But... it's still behind construction walls? Seriously? This better be the best darn walk-thru attraction in water history!

I'm expecting... no, I'm now demanding a Moses Parting of the Red Sea level of immersive showmanship. Nothing less. 🧐

PartingRedSea.jpg

And yes, I want the Charlton Heston version of Moses, not a no-name actor. They've had enough time to tend to those details.

Last edited:

Incomudro

This still isn't open yet?!? o_O

I came to this thread just now and jumped to the last page because I suddenly remembered it was a thing and I thought for sure it would be open and I just missed it, as we've had plenty of other fun topics to discuss the past six months in other areas of the forum.

But... it's still behind construction walls? Seriously? This better be the best darn walk-thru attraction in water history!

I'm expecting... no, I'm now demanding a Moses Parting of the Red Sea level of immersive showmanship. Nothing less. 🧐

PartingRedSea.jpg
I think Universal's got the rights to the parting of the Red Sea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom