Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

So Over It

The dramatics never stop from this side of the fanbase I tell ya lol.
I don't get it either.

It's not even completed and some people are already hating on it as hard as realtors hate Habitat For Humanity.
How about we wait and see how the final product looks first? Maybe even experience it first-hand?

Of course, I was pre-judging the Galactic Starcruiser before construction even went vertical, but that's beside the point...

TikibirdLand

I don't get it either.

It's not even completed and some people are already hating on it as hard as realtors hate Habitat For Humanity.
How about we wait and see how the final product looks first? Maybe even experience it first-hand?

Of course, I was pre-judging the Galactic Starcruiser before construction even went vertical, but that's beside the point...
Maybe if they hadn't ripped out a building and a foutain to put in the splashpad, people wouldn't be hating on it so loudly. D has a vision problem with EPCoT and they really don't know how to fix it.

GimpYancIent

This isn't a full on Moana attraction.
It's not a ride.
It's more like a Moana branded naturalistic walk through.
The Moana element is not heavy handed.
It's nothing right now! Some concept art projecting what is just another construction site on Disney property will potentially look like. It has gotten to the point it will be a relief to see the construction site cleaned up and gone regardless of whatever structure is built. Another reason the desire to go to WDW is down, the sights actually are harsh on the eyes.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If I told people in 1982, in about 40 years Epcot's front section is going to have a Hawaiian Princess, Marvel Comics characters and a Store with Mickey Mouse on the walls. They'd say I'm fricking crazy.

"Welcome to Epcot, a celebration of Walt's dream, that has no resemblance to it whatsoever. And also has no resemblance to the acronym for the park as well."
EPCOT was created by a committee after Walt died. And they completely jettisoned what Walt wanted to do. And their business model collapsed in on itself (expecting others to pay for pavilions and their major refreshes in perpetuum).

What is and isn't in the spirit of "what Walt wanted" reminds me of sectarian divisions of religions.

So Over It

If I told people in 1982, in about 40 years Epcot's front section is going to have a Hawaiian Princess, Marvel Comics characters and a Store with Mickey Mouse on the walls. They'd say I'm fricking crazy.
Terrible idea. If you go back to 1982 and start running your mouth about the future.... suddenly Biff Tannen might become CEO today.

Actually, that might be an upgrade.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

"Welcome to Epcot, a celebration of Walt's dream, that has no resemblance to it whatsoever. And also has no resemblance to the acronym for the park as well."

Do you know a definition of insanity? Keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

Centauri Space Station

But centorium was an 80s department store with a spaceship with figment and Mickey in the middle

Incomudro

I don't know... Forty years is a long time.
There still isn't a Hawaiian Princess, and Mickey on the walls of a store isn't a stretch.
Marvel, yes - I agree that would be a tough one.

RSoxNo1

For those arguing that Moana doesn't belong in EPCOT, that's very far down my list of complaints on EPCOT's current direction. Sure, you could argue that the entire concept of World Nature belongs in DAK but the reality is the current execution of the Nemo attraction is a much worse fit in EPCOT than Journey of Water will be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For those arguing that Moana doesn't belong in EPCOT, that's very far down my list of complaints on EPCOT's current direction. Sure, you could argue that the entire concept of World Nature belongs in DAK but the reality is the current execution of the Nemo attraction is a much worse fit in EPCOT than Journey of Water will be.

I would love for The Seas to have a good Nemo ride.

Still waiting for a good one to be built.

#DisneyShill

aladdin2007

to add to that, what has been jarring to me (aside from the crud filled lagoon) is walking past one of the port of entry stores in world showcase and seeing spiderman toys everywhere. The park is just nothing more now than a foodfest and a lets throw everything from the kitchen sink into everything. It doesn't feel like your at disney anymore.

WDWJoeG

to add to that, what has been jarring to me (aside from the crud filled lagoon) is walking past one of the port of entry stores in world showcase and seeing spiderman toys everywhere. The park is just nothing more now than a foodfest and a lets throw everything from the kitchen sink into everything. It doesn't feel like your at disney anymore.
They don't care about "themeing" and mock those guests who do. Move on, they have.

UNCgolf

I would love for The Seas to have a good Nemo ride.

Still waiting for a good one to be built.

#DisneyShill

I wish they'd just return it to the SeaCabs -- of course they were nothing special in a vacuum, so they'd be significantly diminished by not having the surrounding theming that originally made them work, but seeing into the aquarium through the currently covered windows would be more interesting than the Nemo ride.

UNCgolf

Some of that could just be because of the supply chain issues and wanting something to fill out the store space... but that's still unacceptable IMO.

They'd be better off temporarily closing it than stuffing it full of Marvel (or Star Wars, or Avatar, or whatever else) toys.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

I have a hunch that most of that shop’s SKUs will be moving when GOTG opens

Bocabear

Some of that could just be because of the supply chain issues and wanting something to fill out the store space... but that's still unacceptable IMO.

They'd be better off temporarily closing it than stuffing it full of Marvel (or Star Wars, or Avatar, or whatever else) toys.
But for them to order Spiderman merchandise in a park that has no Spiderman presence whatsoever, and currently has no Marvel Superheroes is nuts...It is off-brand for the park completely....you know like putting Muppet Babies merchandise in the Haunted Mansion gift shop... Just wrong...
Disney had always been about staying on-brand to reinforce the story of the area or attraction... Stuff like Spiderman merch at EPCOT just makes it feel cheap and junky and like a WalMart

ppete1975

Wall-e is perfect for Epcot, and could have worked in so many ways... A dark ride, and I said once before - they could have done this Guardians coaster as a wall-e coaster.
Work up an excellent queue, and the coaster portion could have been the flying segment with wall-e and Eve.
they could have the fire extinguisher scene occasionally in space 220. They could have a walle driving around interacting with guests. You could teach recycling, sustainability even electric vehicles through edutainment using him. He really should be a part of future world even as they move away from edutainment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom