Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

TikibirdLand

I'm expecting green and blue space. This is fundamentally a good thing.
I realize EPCoT isn't the same park it was 30 years ago. But, had they held on to their vision, it was NEVER meant to be a vast industrial wasteland. The problem is, and continues to be, TDO's thinking they can get corporate sponsors for everything they build. Yeah, I know Walt did that too. But, EPCoT took that concept to a whole new level, trying to copy the World's Fair concept. That was declining, even in the 90's. They should have kept the exhibits fresh and entertaining. I've seen plenty of great ideas here for the original buildings. You can't tell me they're paying so much for these imagineers that they, too, couldn't come up with something to do with Comunicore? Really?

All this talk about green and blue... They ripped out tons of concrete and are pouring more. Exactly how green is that?

TikibirdLand

You realize Imagineers don't greenlight their own projects, right?
Indeed, I do. However, the ideas have to make to some level in Imagineering where you'd see them in concept art. Those get leaked pretty regularly. The TDO management chain has no vision for this park and the closure of the preview center kinda proves it.

Rambozo

Trying to keep IP out of EPCOT is not a losing battle. It's an already-lost one.

At least the Journey of Water has the hope of being the edutainment version of The Water Cycle we all learned in 5th grade Earth Science. And it's next to The Seas, which already has its IP in the form of Nemo.

I'm totally alright with IP's, but they should at least fit the corresponding pavilion. Give me Coco, Luca and Ratatouille anyday. They're not just shoehorned in ideas with no regard to theming.

Bocabear

I'm totally alright with IP's, but they should at least fit the corresponding pavilion. Give me Coco, Luca and Ratatouille anyday. They're not just shoehorned in ideas with no regard to theming.
I agree...there are plenty of ideas that are no-brainers...Yes to Coco, Yes to Luca and Ratatouille. Get Mary Poppins back on track, Something for Mulan? Sure. All of that makes sense and would fit perfectly... Moana would fit nicely into the Animal Kingdom where it truly belongs...and don't forget that Figment is an IP too...and needs to be used in a better way.

Incomudro

I agree...there are plenty of ideas that are no-brainers...Yes to Coco, Yes to Luca and Ratatouille. Get Mary Poppins back on track, Something for Mulan? Sure. All of that makes sense and would fit perfectly... Moana would fit nicely into the Animal Kingdom where it truly belongs...and don't forget that Figment is an IP too...and needs to be used in a better way.
Moana in Animal Kingdom?
There's no animal story in Moana.

Bocabear

Moana in Animal Kingdom?
There is a pig and chicken....lol
I would use it to springboard into a whole section celebrating the flora and fauna of the Pacific Islands...Which would mesh beautifully with the park...Tidal pools to explore, Parrots and birds of the region, wild boars, a more accurate Polynesian village, restaurant, attraction and show.

ppete1975

• How wall-e hasnt been utilized in epcot is criminal.
  • Why not expand on beeker and dr honeydew... give them a science show (where is the mobile lab btw).. i get with crowds things like the mobile lab and lucky the dinosaur are harder to do... but if you can do things like that why not have pop up shows in some of your dead spaces.
  • The fact that they have a huge IP and fan favorite character (figment) and dont listen to the fans about fixing his ride or bringing back the rainbow tunnel (in another spot of course) shows you how out of touch they are.

Speaking of muppets how is star tours not pigs in space (I know its in studios but come on...)

Incomudro

• How wall-e hasnt been utilized in epcot is criminal.
  • Why not expand on beeker and dr honeydew... give them a science show (where is the mobile lab btw).. i get with crowds things like the mobile lab and lucky the dinosaur are harder to do... but if you can do things like that why not have pop up shows in some of your dead spaces.
  • The fact that they have a huge IP and fan favorite character (figment) and dont listen to the fans about fixing his ride or bringing back the rainbow tunnel (in another spot of course) shows you how out of touch they are.

Speaking of muppets how is star tours not pigs in space (I know its in studios but come on...)

Wall-e is perfect for Epcot, and could have worked in so many ways... A dark ride, and I said once before - they could have done this Guardians coaster as a wall-e coaster.
Work up an excellent queue, and the coaster portion could have been the flying segment with wall-e and Eve.

RSoxNo1

I realize EPCoT isn't the same park it was 30 years ago. But, had they held on to their vision, it was NEVER meant to be a vast industrial wasteland. The problem is, and continues to be, TDO's thinking they can get corporate sponsors for everything they build. Yeah, I know Walt did that too. But, EPCoT took that concept to a whole new level, trying to copy the World's Fair concept. That was declining, even in the 90's. They should have kept the exhibits fresh and entertaining. I've seen plenty of great ideas here for the original buildings. You can't tell me they're paying so much for these imagineers that they, too, couldn't come up with something to do with Comunicore? Really?

All this talk about green and blue... They ripped out tons of concrete and are pouring more. Exactly how green is that?
The previous entrance of EPCOT had the Leave a Legacy monoliths that were gray and sterile. These have been replaced with green spaces as well as returning the previous fountain to its former glory.

The previous center of EPCOT consisted of a pin cart with roller coaster supports and gray tent flaps pouring out of it. The Journey of Water will have foliage and water. The table top building or more likely it's replacement will be a green space. The center will also have plantings as well. I consider this an aesthetic improvement.

Now you could certainly argue about the removal of the Communicore building and make the case that it was unnecessary but that's a different argument.

RSoxNo1

Moana in Animal Kingdom?

There is a pig and chicken....lol
I would use it to springboard into a whole section celebrating the flora and fauna of the Pacific Islands...Which would mesh beautifully with the park...Tidal pools to explore, Parrots and birds of the region, wild boars, a more accurate Polynesian village, restaurant, attraction and show.
Moana talks about mystical properties of water and the sea. I could absolutely see a story treatment that would place that in the Animal Kingdom. Really things that they are classifying as "World Nature" could be adapted for DAK.

TikibirdLand

The previous entrance of EPCOT had the Leave a Legacy monoliths that were gray and sterile. These have been replaced with green spaces as well as returning the previous fountain to its former glory.

The previous center of EPCOT consisted of a pin cart with roller coaster supports and gray tent flaps pouring out of it. The Journey of Water will have foliage and water. The table top building or more likely it's replacement will be a green space. The center will also have plantings as well. I consider this an aesthetic improvement.

Now you could certainly argue about the removal of the Communicore building and make the case that it was unnecessary but that's a different argument.
You do realize that garbage monoliths were installed at the turn of the century? It's not part of the original vision for EPCoT. Ditto on the pin trading stuff. Take a look at the 80's and early 90's EPCoT. You'll see it's quite a different park than what it had become by the mid 2010's.

Yeah, I know about some of the stupid stuff they did like the "circus". I think anyone would agree that wasn't part of the actual vision though.

WRT to "green"... EPCoT has and has had a lot of green space. Concrete production is some of the highest generation of CO2 gasses of just about any process. And, concrete recycling has problems itself. And yet, we're generating more to build a water feature and "green space". The fact is EPCoT has a lot of gorgeous landscaping with some of the best flower beds in WDW.

DC0703

You do realize that garbage monoliths were installed at the turn of the century? It's not part of the original vision for EPCoT. Ditto on the pin trading stuff. Take a look at the 80's and early 90's EPCoT. You'll see it's quite a different park than what it had become by the mid 2010's.

Yeah, I know about some of the stupid stuff they did like the "circus". I think anyone would agree that wasn't part of the actual vision though.

WRT to "green"... EPCoT has and has had a lot of green space. Concrete production is some of the highest generation of CO2 gasses of just about any process. And, concrete recycling has problems itself. And yet, we're generating more to build a water feature and "green space". The fact is EPCoT has a lot of gorgeous landscaping with some of the best flower beds in WDW.
Arguably, you could say that EPCOT has never followed the original vision, since it was originally not supposed to be a theme park at all. It has always been a series of deviations from the original concept.

TikibirdLand

Arguably, you could say that EPCOT has never followed the original vision, since it was originally not supposed to be a theme park at all. It has always been a series of deviations from the original concept.
I think the vision did crystallize in the late 70's to be an "edutainment park". But, you're right. There were two factions within Imagineering: one wanted the Worlds Fair of edutainment (Future World) while others wanted the International fair. Of course, the obvious answer was to slam the two together and build both. There are some great videos of that final vision.

Rich Brownn

I think the vision did crystallize in the late 70's to be an "edutainment park". But, you're right. There were two factions within Imagineering: one wanted the Worlds Fair of edutainment (Future World) while others wanted the International fair. Of course, the obvious answer was to slam the two together and build both. There are some great videos of that final vision.

You're correct. Originally the Future World Theme Center would have been down by 192 and served as the main entrance to WDW. 3 giant monolith buildings, with sponsored attractions inside, and a transport system to connect to the rest of WDW World Showcase was two semi-circular pavilions (similar to communICore) with a monorail running through it, and located where the Magic Kingdom making lot is.

Incomudro

Moana talks about mystical properties of water and the sea. I could absolutely see a story treatment that would place that in the Animal Kingdom. Really things that they are classifying as "World Nature" could be adapted for DAK.
I don't share that sentiment, and believe it would dilute the one park that has a consistent theme.
I see what you mean, but it's a slope I don't want AK to go down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom