Journey of Water featuring Moana coming to Epcot

No Name

My whole qualm is that they were given a healthy budget to redevelop the center of the park, and this just feels like such a filler idea in a collection of mediocre things that aren’t integrated in any way.

Like, why not build a structure in the center that’s almost like a ball that’s been peeled back like a banana, with the festival center at the highest part, water flowing down and around the “peeled” parts with some fountain action all around, and a gift shop and restaurant maybe underneath or integrated into the sides. You may think that specific idea is whack but it should strive to be super impressive and memorable, like people’s first impression visually of Pandora or Diagon Alley. No, instead there’s 3 distinct things that don’t match or have any relation to one another, and that feel like they simply do the job.

Incomudro

I'm aware I'm one of the only ones, but I'm actually excited for this to open.
We love going to our local arboretums and botanical gardens, love lush greenery and water features - I'm really hoping this is a space we can take in and enjoy. :)
I'm really looking forward to it as well, I consider it to be a big positive in Epcot - I'm glad those buildings are gone.
Truly loved the classic Epcot, but those buildings were useless.

TikibirdLand

My whole qualm is that they were given a healthy budget to redevelop the center of the park, and this just feels like such a filler idea in a collection of mediocre things that aren’t integrated in any way.

Like, why not build a structure in the center that’s almost like a ball that’s been peeled back like a banana, with the festival center at the highest part, water flowing down and around the “peeled” parts with some fountain action all around, and a gift shop and restaurant maybe underneath or integrated into the sides. You may think that specific idea is whack but it should strive to be super impressive and memorable, like people’s first impression visually of Pandora or Diagon Alley. No, instead there’s 3 distinct things that don’t match or have any relation to one another, and that feel like they simply do the job.
OK. You get to be on my Imagineering team when I become CEO. Just don't suggest any more trackless vehicles!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
We love going to our local arboretums and botanical gardens, love lush greenery and water features - I'm really hoping this is a space we can take in and enjoy. :)
I’m looking forward to it as well. And I’m a diehard EPCOT Center fangirl. What we are going to end up with when this is all finished will be way better than what we’ve had for the last 15 years or so. And honestly I’m really supportive of the “neighborhoods” concept. I think each neighborhood can be stronger now that they don’t have to be concerned with making sense in the context of Future World.

No Name

In all fairness it’s not really valuable to adjust for inflation without also adjusting again for Disney’s inflated costs.

WDWJoeG

In all fairness it’s not really valuable to adjust for inflation without also adjusting again for Disney’s inflated costs.
And that changes the point how? They will spend countless millions on something that, at best, will be mildly acceptable. The fact that their bloated costs are rising higher than inflation only makes the point more valid.

No Name

And that changes the point how? They will spend countless millions on something that, at best, will be mildly acceptable. The fact that their bloated costs are rising higher than inflation only makes the point more valid.
Well you suggested that these things “could have been built” instead for the price adjusted for inflation, all I’m saying is that’s not true, that’s it. It’s like when people suggest they could’ve built 8 Everest-like attractions for the price of Galaxy’s Edge or multiple fantasyland-style rides for the price of Toy Story Land.

Vegas Disney Fan

Someday the budget for this project will leak including the cost of the demo and we will marvel at what other projects over the past 60 years (adjusted for inflation) could have been built vs. this.
Depends on the end product, if it’s done well people will simply enjoy it without thinking about the price.

I’m just glad they’re finally doing something with the decaying middle of Epcot, for the last decade+ it’s been a big empty building with a couple meet and greets and a Starbucks, turning that into something enjoyable is money well spent in my book.

Bocabear

But arboretums and botanical gardens are not charging you over a hundred dollars a day per person to enter... and a big open park space in the middle of the park, while there may be some nice landscaping here and there, will not be a botanical garden or arboretum...
Tearing down half of the parks core did not fix the empty buildings, they just erased the buildings so people would stop wondering when they were go to replace the attractions that are no longer there...so let's all applaud them for not replacing attractions and instead tearing down the buildings and replacing them with grass. Huzzah!

James Alucobond

But arboretums and botanical gardens are not charging you over a hundred dollars a day per person to enter... and a big open park space in the middle of the park, while there may be some nice landscaping here and there, will not be a botanical garden or arboretum...
Tearing down half of the parks core did not fix the empty buildings, they just erased the buildings so people would stop wondering when they were go to replace the attractions that are no longer there...so let's all applaud them for not replacing attractions and instead tearing down the buildings and replacing them with grass. Huzzah!
I agree with you on the fact that they shouldn't have demolished the existing buildings, but the first half of this post is just weird. Journey of Water is a tiny piece of EPCOT, so why would the value of the ticket hinge on this attraction's perceived similarities to something you might find elsewhere? That's like shrieking about the existence of The Seas because aquariums are far less expensive in your hometown.

dreday3

I did say I would be one of the only ones... 😂

Bocabear

I agree with you on the fact that they shouldn't have demolished the existing buildings, but the first half of this post is just weird. Journey of Water is a tiny piece of EPCOT, so why would the value of the ticket hinge on this attraction's perceived similarities to something you might find elsewhere? That's like shrieking about the existence of The Seas because aquariums are far less expensive in your hometown.
no, what I am shrieking about is tearing out buildings that hosted attractions and could do that again, and rather than update and fix, it was torn down and now less attractions, increasing prices and the replacement is landscaping ...
Yes, I too love botanical gardens and beautifully landscaped areas, but they are the supporting cast... Not the stars of a theme park...

dreday3

no, what I am shrieking about is tearing out buildings that hosted attractions and could do that again, and rather than update and fix, it was torn down and now less attractions, increasing prices and the replacement is landscaping ...
Yes, I too love botanical gardens and beautifully landscaped areas, but they are the supporting cast... Not the stars of a theme park...

I think you are picking at and reading into my post a little too much.
I'm not applauding Disney for anything. I'm not giving them a pass for not doing anything with the buildings for so long.

I'm talking about something that is being built and I'm excited to see how it turns out. Might as well look forward because we certainly aren't going back.

I can assure you, I'm not a moron. :D
I know that it isn't going to be a botanical garden. But I'm hoping it will be a pretty, serene(ish) spot that celebrates nature.

Bocabear

I'm not applauding Disney for anything. I'm not giving them a pass for not doing anything with the buildings for so long.

I'm talking about something that is being built and I'm excited to see how it turns out. Might as well look forward because we certainly aren't going back.

I know that it isn't going to be a botanical garden. But I'm hoping it will be a pretty, serene(ish) spot that celebrates nature.
never even thought for a second you were a moron...lol
I too, am interested in how it comes out...I am just having trouble wrapping my head around some of the decisions they are making lately... it just keeps seeming like less and less...for more and more.

Casper Gutman

Given the location, I have no idea how this could be serene.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom