Josh D'Amaro comments on rising prices and "additional" or removed services: "An inevitable result of progress"

Dan Deesnee

I’ve stayed in non Disney resort chains that you just described minus the broken attractions. FYI- hotel occupancy where I’m staying on business and leisure is coming back in force even with these concerns.

That's already changing, dramatically. Recent data shows that one of the top things people plan to cut is vacations.

We are likely in that dazed period after you get hit by something real hard. Those 2-3 seconds before the pain sets in and you realize you're laying on the ground.

That's Disney right now. But maybe they just realized how much trouble them and their industry are in. They just released 25% off rooms from Oct. 25 onward. Strange that they would do this considering how popular that time of the year is to go... historically. ALSO we just got 3(!) prime time reservations for 8 people at o'Hana for our trip late October. Last year we tried for hours and hours to get a reservation, even during the trip, and never could.

All is rosey and great, right Disney!? Let's check back in 12 months.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I'd say arrogant would be a good word. They know what they're doing in my opinion. Modern Disney truly believes that it is bulletproof. They know that no matter what they shovel people will eat it up, no matter the cost. They also know that they have the strongest nostalgia of any brand. So they ae confident that if they push it until collapse, all they have to do back off a bit, offer up some "freebies and discounts" and everyone comes running back.
Merchandise 101 - if business is hurting , provide sales and incentive, promotions to lure the customers back. The local mom and pop just did something similar and it worked out for them.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Business travel is increasing…which doesn’t surprise given the current conditions…

However, that’s all “market driven”

Disney is market driven/dependent as well…they’re just selling that they are not

Don’t forget history and buy it without pause
I just returned from a business trip last week. Conference at swan and dolphin and stayed at Port Orleans

Cmdr_Crimson

I swear they are running the park under RCT..
330a086bf369cf849717db2fc6e08620.jpg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. Didn’t he work his way up the company from the collage program or being a front line cast member?

I think people were expecting a modern day Walt or something out of Josh. He’s got where he is by doing what he’s been told and he’s only saying Yes to Bob to advance his own career
He was born and raised in LA and then went to Georgetown…

I don’t think he had to “worry about rent” or eat ramen.

CaptainAmerica

Disney didn't kill Netflix. Everyone else creating their own streaming service did (Disney was part of that, of course, but as far as I remember, Netflix never had most of Disney's catalogue anyways).

Netflix was the success it was because it was a one stop shop for everything. As soon as other companies started pulling their material from Netflix, it caused huge problems. Even though Peacock is floundering, removing the Office (and Parks and Recreation, to a lesser extent) from Netflix probably caused more pain to Netflix than anything Disney has done.

Streaming isn't going anywhere, but no company is going to recreate the success Netflix had in the early days when they had almost everything in one place.
The distribution model isn't proprietary. The content is proprietary. The "Disney Bundle," with ESPN proper fully integrated, will be THE entertainment offering that finally puts the nail in the coffin of cable. Everyone else will be standing on the sidelines with their [blanks] in their hands.

Smiley/OCD

It's almost like those folks have a different priority (money, money, more money) and don't care as much for guest satisfaction, positive guest experiences, or innovation. Shocking that they'd keep the money guy in charge.
Yes and as a parks fan (like all of us on here are), it won’t change until there is a noticeable drop in attendance.

CaptainAmerica

If your position is that Chapek gets no credit for major investments initiated while he was head of the freaking Parks division just because he wasn't CEO yet, while simultaneously arguing that he's to blame for the lack of major projects initiated in the midst of the most disruptive event to hit The Walt Disney Company since the death of Walt himself, then bias has clouded your judgment beyond all reason and I have no interest in debating further. Bob Chapek has been CEO for exactly zero days in which COVID and its aftermath haven't been the most important forces in the hospitality and tourism industry. We have no data whatsoever to judge what his tenure as CEO will look like in terms of long term strategic investment in Domestic Parks & Resorts.

Casper Gutman

The distribution model isn't proprietary. The content is proprietary. The "Disney Bundle," with ESPN proper fully integrated, will be THE entertainment offering that finally puts the nail in the coffin of cable. Everyone else will be standing on the sidelines with their [blanks] in their hands.
Ah, an example of the brilliant thinking that is driving Wall Streets reaction to streaming.

My favorite was when all of corporate America decided cinemas were dead... DEAD. Then movie theaters proved remarkably resilient in surviving a global, multi-year crisis that seemed custom-made to kill the industry. This year, audiences proved they'd show up in droves for blockbusters... exactly like before the crisis. But because of panicked Wall Street group-think, none of the studios (except Disney) have any theatrical content ready to go for the foreseeable future while streaming services flounder. Brilliant!

It's amazing. America distrusts everyone... politicians, professors, teachers, doctors, lawyers, the media, etc., etc... except businessmen, completely ignoring both over a century of experience and current events.

Casper Gutman

If your position is that Chapek gets no credit for major investments initiated while he was head of the freaking Parks division just because he wasn't CEO yet, while simultaneously arguing that he's to blame for the lack of major projects initiated in the midst of the most disruptive event to hit The Walt Disney Company since the death of Walt himself, then bias has clouded your judgment beyond all reason and I have no interest in debating further. Bob Chapek has been CEO for exactly zero days in which COVID and its aftermath haven't been the most important forces in the hospitality and tourism industry. We have no data whatsoever to judge what his tenure as CEO will look like in terms of long term strategic investment in Domestic Parks & Resorts.
Yeah, gang, NO ONE is making significant capital expenditures into Orlando theme parks right now. That would just be INSANE.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Who in the hell is discussing this here?

See…”reading” means you actually look at the letters in groups, those are “words”, then the words in a group form “sentences”…and the sentences have meanings based on the words chosen. 👍🏻
Yeah, gang, NO ONE is making significant capital expenditures into Orlando theme parks right now. That would just be INSANE.
1661723595518.gif

Last edited:

maxairmike

I don't say this to start a sports war but in complete seriousness; if they still had the most profitable and viewed college conference on their channels come 2024, I would be inclined to agree with you on this point to a certain degree. I think there's still a lot of weight to be thrown around with what they have, but not having any Big Ten content at all does significantly affect that calculus IMO. For college sports viewers, a very large number of media markets have been completely removed from needing The Worldwide Leader for their coverage. They've created a ceiling of sorts for themselves, and I don't see it as one made to bust through triumphantly in this arena.

Obviously pro sports still reigns supreme in the sports media world and they'll keep subscribers in bulk due to that, but they're all smart enough to not generally hitch themselves entirely to one broadcaster. So I honestly think it changes the calculus enough that a fully integrated/inclusive Disney streaming product is not the kill shot you would envision. Between that, the costs of all the various streaming products, and the need to probably manually manage your subscriptions if you're trying to be budget-conscious but still see everything, I see cable as potentially being seen as a more convenient choice once again with a greater flexibility on the streaming options for those one-off series you want to watch, especially if you're a sports fan (they have always been used to additional cost models in TV, so they won't blink at having cable and ESPN+ or whatever Disney bundle makes sense for whatever league they're most interested in). Oh, and this reminds me I need to put my Netflix subscription on hold until the next seasons of Is It Cake and Nailed It! are released.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
THREE HOURS AGO, you told me nothing initiated prior to COVID counts. Epic Universe is a big fat goose egg by that standard.
Wrong guy, boss

I’m doing a very concerted effort here to keep it to JUST a completely stupid statement by this guy. Terrible comment/PR

Others are doing the “why can’t they be nice to us?!?” Thing…that’s different.

This was foot in mouth by a tool. Which will happen more and more. Watch it play.

erasure fan1

Merchandise 101 - if business is hurting , provide sales and incentive, promotions to lure the customers back. The local mom and pop just did something similar and it worked out for them.
I can point to many local businesses around me where that didn't work. The public can be a fickle beast. Disney believes that will work and It very well might because of the nostalgia investment people have. The reason they are walking a slippery slope is because they are blatantly gouging people. If people hate your company, they don't always come back. Maybe it's just me, and it might be, but when I leave your business and I move on. I won't be back.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can point to many local businesses around me where that didn't work. The public can be a fickle beast. Disney believes that will work and It very well might because of the nostalgia investment people have. The reason they are walking a slippery slope is because they are blatantly gouging people. If people hate your company, they don't always come back. Maybe it's just me, and it might be, but when I leave your business and I move on. I won't be back.
Disney is a unique - almost singular - entity on how they peddle sentiment and emotion across a broad Range of products.

It’s why the “101” argument doesn’t really hold here as an absolute as the dusters (sorry…try not to use it but it’s warranted today) think it does.

So they can get away with more…no question. But they can’t be labeled a “ripoff” in their parks customer pool. That’s a river they don’t want to cross for upteen reasons…all of them serious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom