Josh D'Amaro comments on rising prices and "additional" or removed services: "An inevitable result of progress"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ve stayed in non Disney resort chains that you just described minus the broken attractions. FYI- hotel occupancy where I’m staying on business and leisure is coming back in force even with these concerns.
Business travel is increasing…which doesn’t surprise given the current conditions…

However, that’s all “market driven”

Disney is market driven/dependent as well…they’re just selling that they are not

Don’t forget history and buy it without pause

UNCgolf

Netflix is sinking because Disney killed it, not because streaming is dying.

Disney didn't kill Netflix. Everyone else creating their own streaming service did (Disney was part of that, of course, but as far as I remember, Netflix never had most of Disney's catalogue anyways).

Netflix was the success it was because it was a one stop shop for everything. As soon as other companies started pulling their material from Netflix, it caused huge problems. Even though Peacock is floundering, removing the Office (and Parks and Recreation, to a lesser extent) from Netflix probably caused more pain to Netflix than anything Disney has done.

Streaming isn't going anywhere, but no company is going to recreate the success Netflix had in the early days when they had almost everything in one place.

fgmnt

Some of us were never impressed with him.

"Tom Staggs but make him sexy!"

There is no great savior of the parks and resorts division operating within the current corporate structure in Burbank and with any ability to ascend to a key decisionmaking office. That is entirely by design. This is a truism, an obvious matter of fact, that has been proven time and time again with the constant replacement of increasingly more dead-eyed sickos in the EVP of P&R (now PEP!).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney didn't kill Netflix. Everyone else creating their own streaming service did (Disney was part of that, of course, but as far as I remember, Netflix never had most of Disney's catalogue anyways).

Netflix was the success it was because it was a one stop shop for everything. As soon as other companies started pulling their material from Netflix, it caused huge problems. Even though Peacock is floundering, removing the Office (and Parks and Recreation, to a lesser extent) from Netflix probably caused more pain to Netflix than anything Disney has done.

Streaming isn't going anywhere, but no company is going to recreate the success Netflix had in the early days when they had almost everything in one place.
I seem to remember Netflix being a mail order video service…that managed to transition on the fly…with zero content/studio behind it…

It’s more of a pioneer…and therefore more of a Guinea pig/testbed by default. It suffered growing pains in a way the followers didn’t have to…

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Let it go lilo, big business and the "wealthy" will always be blamed for others unhappiness. The CEO is there to make money for the shareholders.
This has nothing to do with the board or egghead or the quarterly profits…
Lilo decided to make it that.

It’s about what this fool said in the context of an unnecessary product that accounts for 43ish percent of their revenues and profits.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

This has nothing to do with the board or egghead of the quarterly profits…

It’s about what this fool said in the context of an unnecessary product that accounts for 43ish percent of their revenues and profits.
I was only replying to Lilos comment
Carryon

mattpeto

Disney probably should have just increased the prices to cover things Magical Express, free Magicbands and even maybe Genie+/ILL. It would have hurt the wallet but would make the consumer feel a little bit better than getting nickeled and dime at every turn.

The sad part about the things I mentioned, is the parks and the property are still wonderful, once you’re in the Bubble (and bankrupt).

I’m an optimistic guy, but there will no sign of letdown of what’s coming. Disney appears in a different sphere where they operate without consequences.

chimchimcheree

"Improving the visitor experience, the thinking goes, will prompt guests to spend more hours—and therefore more money—at the parks because they are having such a good time."

Where's the improvement, though?? If the price hikes are (allegedly) the "inevitable result of progress," one would expect to see, you know, progress in the parks. (And I don't mean Carousel of Progress.) Instead, they're still overrun, attractions are chronically down, and they are so understaffed that basic upkeep is clearly neglected. If I'm going to shell out that kind of money, I expect a higher quality product to justify the expense.

Lilofan

This has nothing to do with the board or egghead of the quarterly profits…

Let’s just see the reporting numbers on the next Wall Street quarterly earnings call that Bob and Christine will address with the analysts. The critics will hone in on the wording, the reporting numbers will speak for itself.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Let’s just see the reporting numbers on the next Wall Street quarterly earnings call that Bob and Christine will state. The critics will hone in on the wording, the reporting numbers will speak for itself.
That is not the topic/contention here…

This is about management conduct/PR.

You’re not following..to be honest. The highlighted comment on the top of the thread isn’t about sales or “business performance”

If you want to laud it…fine…but you do that on those quarterly threads…and I assume any threads titled “what’s your favorite app: E*trade or Scott trade?”

It’s just not the zone here.

Damaro said something stupid.

erasure fan1

It's fascinating that Chapek, McCarthy, and now D'Amaro say the quiet part loud like they're ignorant, indifferent, or both.
I'd say arrogant would be a good word. They know what they're doing in my opinion. Modern Disney truly believes that it is bulletproof. They know that no matter what they shovel people will eat it up, no matter the cost. They also know that they have the strongest nostalgia of any brand. So they ae confident that if they push it until collapse, all they have to do back off a bit, offer up some "freebies and discounts" and everyone comes running back.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd say arrogant would be a good word. They know what they're doing in my opinion. Modern Disney truly believes that it is bulletproof. They know that no matter what they shovel people will eat it up, no matter the cost. They also know that they have the strongest nostalgia of any brand. So they ae confident that if they push it until collapse, all they have to do back off a bit, offer up some "freebies and discounts" and everyone comes running back.
Not to tangent…but I’m not even sure that attitude is wrong

…it’s almost feeding the Wall Street construct that they are using. I get it. Just say you can do no wrong and they’ll horsetrade off it.
It makes sense…in a way.

The steps to get to this point is what they ignore/forget. So as long as it holds, they’ll succeed. Just my guess.

Indy_UK

The problem was that anyone thought that in the first place?

Because he took some selfies with college programmers? Is that all it takes?
Agreed. Didn’t he work his way up the company from the collage program or being a front line cast member?

I think people were expecting a modern day Walt or something out of Josh. He’s got where he is by doing what he’s been told and he’s only saying Yes to Bob to advance his own career

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom