Josh D'Amaro comments on rising prices and "additional" or removed services: "An inevitable result of progress"

GimpYancIent

Management will continue to follow its current business model so long as the public, guests, visitors / tourists blindly continue to put down their money for that nontangible Disney Magical Experience. When enough people come down from their Pixie Dust highs, realize the reality that "they are the magic" and don't need Disney because there are now many more options. When the "demand" becomes a discernable negative number, and the bottom line becomes a downward spiral, then management will review, modify and change its business model. However, right now it will take a swift kick in the financial teeth for management to see the error of their ways.

Vegas Disney Fan

and don't need Disney because there are now many more options.

Is there though?

There’s a million different travel options but there’s still not a direct replacement for the Disney Parks if that’s what you’re looking for. Universal is closest, and there’s a lot of similar options, but none are a direct replacement.

We let our DL passes go (after having them for a decade) and have substantially reduced our trips but until there’s something that fully replaces Disney we’ll keep going, even if it’s only a couple times a year.

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Is there though?

There’s a million different travel options but there’s still not a direct replacement for the Disney Parks if that’s what you’re looking for. Universal is closest, and there’s a lot of similar options, but none are a direct replacements.

We let our DL passes go (after having them for a decade) and have substantially reduced our trips but until there’s something that fully replaces Disney we’ll keep going, even if it’s only a couple times a year.
As much as we complain myself included i just got back and honestly still had the feels and had a great time… dont get me wrong it definitely feels different and diminished but still felt Disney like so im torn about future trips etc going forward.

JMcMahonEsq

Paying $3000 for food for 10 days is insane. It's why my family eat off site as much as possible.
That’s for 3 people so basically it’s $100 per day per person. I don’t know where you live but that doesn’t seem high at all given your eating 3 meals out per day, plus snacks and drinks. Hell i spent about that much per person the last baseball game i went to, and that was only for basically 1 meal, and drinks/snacks.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
That’s for 3 people so basically it’s $100 per day per person. I don’t know where you live but that doesn’t seem high at all given your eating 3 meals out per day, plus snacks and drinks. Hell i spent about that much per person the last baseball game i went to, and that was only for basically 1 meal, and drinks/snacks.
exactly my point (and tech less bc it was really 11 days) its still on par but w/ the dining plan it would cost me a fraction of that so in my case the DDP worked like a charm for me... listen im fro NY so there is no sticker shock when i go anywhere it just stinks that they discontinued the program and the theory that it doesnt save you money to me is a joke... again its a simple game of math especially when you pretty much need to book where i eat before i go down there...

Jrb1979

Is there though?

There’s a million different travel options but there’s still not a direct replacement for the Disney Parks if that’s what you’re looking for. Universal is closest, and there’s a lot of similar options, but none are a direct replacement.

Agreed if that's what you are looking for. Thing is for my family my wife has only been once and that was a few years ago and I went a few times as a kid. We never grew up going to the parks so don't have that nostalgia that most of you have.
Don't get me wrong I would love to take my 2 year old at some point but right now the way the parks are being run it's not worth it. From reservations to the crappy Genie+ (hated FP+ too) is not what it once was.

It's still a lot when I spent half of that at Cedar Point for a week earlier this summer. For some that doesn't sound like much but when you travel like my family does it is. We cut back on our food spending a lot. We try to stay places were breakfast is included and have one big meal a day. We don't do character meals as my 2 year old isn't at the age to care about it and my wife and I have no interest. The money we save on meals lets us spend it on skip the line passes that can cost as low as $120 a day.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Agreed if that's what you are looking for. Thing is for my family my wife has only been once and that was a few years ago and I went a few times as a kid. We never grew up going to the parks so don't have that nostalgia that most of you have.
Don't get me wrong I would love to take my 2 year old at some point but right now the way the parks are being run it's not worth it. From reservations to the crappy Genie+ (hated FP+ too) is not what it once was.

It's still a lot when I spent half of that at Cedar Point for a week earlier this summer. For some that doesn't sound like much but when you travel like my family does it is. We cut back on our food spending a lot. We try to stay places were breakfast is included and have one big meal a day. We don't do character meals as my 2 year old isn't at the age to care about it and my wife and I have no interest. The money we save on meals lets us spend it on skip the line passes that can cost as low as $120 a day.
& thats fine unlike you im not judging you and calling you insane for your choices tho ;) everyone vacations differently but spending basically 275 a day in food for 3 people at Disney is far from insane

OrlandoRising

Is there though?

If you're looking for themed entertainment experiences, then yes, there are certainly other options, including ones with on-site resorts.

I think too many of the Disney faithful assume nothing could replace that Disney experience for them and turn up their noses at what they assume are lesser theme parks or *gasp* amusement parks. Not shocking, really, since so many Disney diehards mock Universal without ever having visited. I would really hope the more open-minded people go visit places like Knott's or Dollywood or Cedar Point or Busch Gardens Williamsburg and see for themselves if those parks give them some of the same joy at a fraction of Disney's prices.

But if the only thing you'd consider to be a "direct replacement" would be another Disney-themed resort with theme parks, then no such direct replacement could ever exist in the U.S. That's the sort of crowd that enables Disney's current strategy, because you're continuing to go when you won't even give other experiences a chance.

TQQQ

***ETA*** When we USED TO go, we usually stay in a 1 BR or bigger DVC room. That allows us to eat breakfast and lunch in the room every day and then we would go out to dinner every night. The 1 table service meal plan was perfect for how we vacationed.

UNCgolf

If you're looking for themed entertainment experiences, then yes, there are certainly other options, including ones with on-site resorts.

I think too many of the Disney faithful assume nothing could replace that Disney experience for them and turn up their noses at what they assume are lesser theme parks or *gasp* amusement parks. Not shocking, really, since so many Disney diehards mock Universal without ever having visited. I would really hope the more open-minded people go visit places like Knott's or Dollywood or Cedar Point or Busch Gardens Williamsburg and see for themselves if those parks give them some of the same joy at a fraction of Disney's prices.

But if the only thing you'd consider to be a "direct replacement" would be another Disney-themed resort with theme parks, then no such direct replacement could ever exist in the U.S. That's the sort of crowd that enables Disney's current strategy, because you're continuing to go when you won't even give other experiences a chance.

None of them are really the same as Disney, though, and that's not because of Disney IP (although that's obviously a factor for a lot of people too). It's the style of rides and the overall theming. Universal is pretty close in overall theming (and as good or better in certain places like Diagon Alley), but Universal also has a heavier focus on thrill rides, some of which are still heavily themed and some of which are very lightly themed.

That doesn't mean those places are of lesser quality -- just that they don't necessarily offer what people are looking for.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m starting to wonder if Josh and Chapek actually believe the crap they’re peddling.

Josh was spewing his “introduce new technologies that are already delivering a better guest experience” spiel again last night at the D23 press event… I previously thought he was just a salesman peddling his goods but I’m starting to think he may actually believe that changes like Genie/ILL are making the guest experience better.

The future of Disney is looking dark.

AEfx

I’m starting to wonder if Josh and Chapek actually believe the crap they’re peddling.

Josh was spewing his “introduce new technologies that are already delivering a better guest experience” spiel again last night at the D23 press event… I previously thought he was just a salesman peddling his goods but I’m starting to think he may actually believe that changes like Genie/ILL are making the guest experience better.

The future of Disney is looking dark.
I've pretty much come to accept that it's been dimming for so long, I think we might have missed just how close to midnight we've finally gotten.

There is nothing magical about the ATM machine WDW has become. Even seven, ten years ago - yes, they have always been after profit, but it's never been this blatant, and with this little of service/show.

When I see people who still love going and don't mind the prices - honestly, happy for them that either they don't know how good the place once was, or that they have so much money they don't care.

I'm still known as "the Disney guy" that people tell others to talk to when they want to go. At this point, I just don't know what to say to them - well, I do know what to say, but it's nothing good. People used to be kind of shocked at what people went through to get dining reservations, but at least that was do-able and understandable to most people. All this new nonsense? Genie+, Lightning Lane, Park reservations, so on? I don't even know how to begin to explain it to someone, because it's all so ridiculous I don't even get most of it any more.

Unless it's their "once in a lifetime" trip, I tell them to go to Universal. It's 1/2 the price, 1000X less stressful, and because you don't have the pressure to be on a military style vacation for a week, you actually can come home relaxed.

JoeCamel

I've pretty much come to accept that it's been dimming for so long, I think we might have missed just how close to midnight we've finally gotten.

There is nothing magical about the ATM machine WDW has become. Even seven, ten years ago - yes, they have always been after profit, but it's never been this blatant, and with this little of service/show.

When I see people who still love going and don't mind the prices - honestly, happy for them that either they don't know how good the place once was, or that they have so much money they don't care.

I'm still known as "the Disney guy" that people tell others to talk to when they want to go. At this point, I just don't know what to say to them - well, I do know what to say, but it's nothing good. People used to be kind of shocked at what people went through to get dining reservations, but at least that was do-able and understandable to most people. All this new nonsense? Genie+, Lightning Lane, Park reservations, so on? I don't even know how to begin to explain it to someone, because it's all so ridiculous I don't even get most of it any more.

Unless it's their "once in a lifetime" trip, I tell them to go to Universal. It's 1/2 the price, 1000X less stressful, and because you don't have the pressure to be on a military style vacation for a week, you actually can come home relaxed.
I just tell people that I can no longer make a value argument for going but I can make a comfort one for not going. What it was is no longer, just a brand now

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I just tell people that I can no longer make a value argument for going but I can make a comfort one for not going. What it was is no longer, just a brand now
But define value? Again yes Disney is not what it use to be but as i said it still gave me the feels and again all in was cheaper per day than any other place i went to this year… so i dont know what we are comparing prices to etc but in my examples. I been to Poconos <GWL/Kalahari). OC, Md. Wildwood. Hershey park. All these cost me more money per day than Disney did

erasure fan1

I previously thought he was just a salesman peddling his goods but I’m starting to think he may actually believe that changes like Genie/ILL are making the guest experience better.
Oh I'm sure they know exactly the garbage they're peddling. They're just good at making people think they are sincere. They know 100% that everything they do is for the money and not the guest experience.

LSLS

But define value? Again yes Disney is not what it use to be but as i said it still gave me the feels and again all in was cheaper per day than any other place i went to this year… so i dont know what we are comparing prices to etc but in my examples. I been to Poconos <GWL/Kalahari). OC, Md. Wildwood. Hershey park. All these cost me more money per day than Disney did
Im way different. We did a week at GWL with trips to Cedar Point as well and spent about the same as disney if we never bought a ticket for a park at Disney, so what, $2k less or so? And that is for a suite room with beds for everyone, not just a basic room, and assuming we got a discount on a moderate room

JoeCamel

Value to me is a judgement and only applies to me. They can make their own decisions and millions do but I can no longer make a case for going to Disney where I used to be able to.

Last edited:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Value to me which is a judgement and only applies to me. They can make their own decisions and millions do but I can no longer make a case for going to Disney where I used to be able to.
Listen i get it 100% and you are not alone i know so manypeople thatfeel your way and im in the same boat but as i said i just got back and it stillhad feels not the same but still felt special most of the times… now w that being said. If this was my only trip annually NO way in hellwould i be choosing to go to Disney.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Im way different. We did a week at GWL with trips to Cedar Point as well and spent about the same as disney if we never bought a ticket for a park at Disney, so what, $2k less or so? And that is for a suite room with beds for everyone, not just a basic room, and assuming we got a discount on a moderate room
Dont get me wrong they were not crazy much more but definitely more to make it worth a conversation and point im making is places are expensive to go to for the most part. Not isolated to Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom